aldi helinox chair copy

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Bmblbzzz

Re: aldi helinox chair copy

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Good to note. Might look in store in a few days...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think it is disgraceful if big companies infringe on the design copyright of such small companies that can probably not afford the cost of litigation.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Turns out that Helinox have previously pursued larger companies who infringe their patents:

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_ ... 04807.html

Hope Aldi have carefully checked their version doesn't infringe in the same way.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I would imagine Aldi have a legal department that would check these things. But who is responsible in the case of patent infringement? I'd have thought it was the manufacturer, not the retailer.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

willem jongman wrote:I think it is disgraceful if big companies infringe on the design copyright of such small companies that can probably not afford the cost of litigation.

Any evidence that is the case here? For all we know Aldi may have commissioned Helinox to produce the chairs for them. Aldi would be ordering many thousands for their stores and it's a cash rich business that pays the companies producing their "specials" very quickly. 8,000 stores say 20 chairs for each - 160,000 plus online sales and that's tempting for any company particularly if ordered at a slack production period.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Do you really think that is what happened?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

backnotes wrote:Turns out that Helinox have previously pursued larger companies who infringe their patents:

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_ ... 04807.html

Hope Aldi have carefully checked their version doesn't infringe in the same way.

there's dozens of alternatives even on amazon.

there's also an interesting inflatable couch thing that would probably double as a bivvy bag as it a giant dry bag
pete75

Post by pete75 »

willem jongman wrote:Do you really think that is what happened?

It may have it may not have. Neither you nor I know. The point to remember is you need to be sure of the facts before you start to imply dishonesty or underhand dealings on the part of either an individual or business.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Bliney, this has all escalated a lot. It’s reasonable to be cautious for 2 reasons I think- 1. Big companies quite often knock off smaller companies ideas ( eg see Waitrose and hotel chocolat). I see this in my job quite a lot and China is a big concern on the infringement side.
2. Quality- can Aldi produce something that will be as robust and light as helinox for £20- maybe if they’re producing at volume but I’d be careful on that.

I tend to support the smaller companies as they keep bringing new ideas through. Having said that if anyone thinks it’s made with hélinox approval why not ask them eg on Twitter- you should pretty quickly get their official line on it!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Theres a few similar chairs out there on the market now, even from other known camping suppliers now - for example from Robens

Generally the difference they have to the Helinox chair is weight and/or weight limit. The helinox has a weight limit of 145kg, the Aldi one only 100kg. So that probably where the extra cost and better materials goes into. Weighing 92kg like I do, I'm not sure I'd trust the Aldi one... The price of the helinox one has come down recently as well, probably from the copies.

A lot of these are just re-packaged factory sourced goods though, all made in the same place. I spotted this on the Robens site whilst finding the chair link above:
http://www.robens.de/en/Products/mats-airbeds/airbeds/vapour
Now compare to
https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-base
pete75

Post by pete75 »

honesty wrote:Theres a few similar chairs out there on the market now, even from other known camping suppliers now - for example from Robens

The Robens is very different to the Helinox. The latter has black plastic connectors for the tubes whereas the Robens appears to be all metal.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We bought 2 Chinese versions of these a couple of years ago for bout £30 each off EBAY (branded Naturehike), and they have so far survived approximately 245 overnight stops touring - in my opinion amazingly robust for lightweight cheap kit.

Yesterday we bought 2 of the Aldi ones as well (mainly so the grandkids can have a seat when they come away with us). Same design as the good Naturehike ones, but the fabric is not well cut, and most importantly the alloy poles are a slightly smaller diameter, and are a bit loose in the plastic joints, so while I have no evidence, I suspect they will not be as durable - that said, for shorter tours they are a pretty good deal.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I bought 3 of these chairs today for myself and daughters.
Mine felt a bit loosey goosey sitting in it and having 'swivelled' around on it a bit this happened...
IMG_01072018_181630.jpg

Will be returning to Aldi shortly. I'm only 66kg.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Vantage wrote:I bought 3 of these chairs today for myself and daughters.
Mine felt a bit loosey goosey sitting in it and having 'swivelled' around on it a bit this happened...
IMG_01072018_181630.jpg

Will be returning to Aldi shortly. I'm only 66kg.

Well that answers my thoughts on whether to go get one or not!