Augmenting the frame of an A-frame Tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
700c

Augmenting the frame of an A-frame Tent

Post by 700c »

I hope this is in the right forum area, sorry if no - I guess it's "technical" and "bits"... Tent Advice please...

I'd like to strengthen my A-frame tent by putting in an extra pole to lay horizontally between the two uprights...I hope this makes sense.

My problem is, I can't think what that would be called (so I can search Google).

My simplistic thinking is to have an extra pole [easy to find], and on both ends of this pole have something like a "washer"...I think it's this washer piece that I need to find. Maybe someone knows of something I can buy or has an idea of how to bodge something.

So; A frame goes up with inner tent. New pole is attached to both uprights. Outer skin goes over.

I hope this makes sense? Any advice anyone? Thank You.
Last edited by Graham on 4 Jul 2018, 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title & move topic
Si

Re: Tent Advice

Post by Si »

My problem is, I can't think what that would be called

"ridge pole"?
mercalia

Re: Tent Advice

Post by mercalia »

Why do you feel you need to get a ridge pole? My old Conquest/Force 10 polycotton has one but then the cover is very heavy . On the other hands I have a Tarp tent that just used the cover and the end A ropes to hold it all together and works well.
The way my Conquest tent does is that the ridge pole have holes on either end and the A ends have spikes on the top thru wich the ridge pole goes.
Force 10 and my tent use ends like this
A ends
A ends

skeleton.JPG

To find suitable poles on Ebay use
Force 10 ridge poles
lots around £12.
Last edited by mercalia on 4 Jul 2018, 4:14pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graham

Re: Augmenting the frame of an A-frame Tent

Post by Graham »

I don't understand what the current configuration of poles is . . . . and thus the desired outcome.

A diagram would be useful/essential.

Can you draw, scan and upload ? Or just photo what you have ?
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

If you currently have an A pole at each end but no ridge pole all adding a ridge pole will do is give you marginally more headroom in the middle of the tent. It will not make it stronger. With old Force 10s that came with a ridge pole standard advice was to remove the ridge pole in severe weather as the tent is stronger without.
700c

Post by 700c »

Thanks guys.

I do indeed have a Force 10. It felt like it needed extra rigidity, I'll look into itnow I know the correct term to use.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

sounds like it might be missing a bit.

there was a vango built D of E tent a long time ago that just had end frames and no ridge pole.

eevry force ten had a ridge poles.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Some spares for Force Tens are still available. However, note comments above re whether you need a ridge pole, and being sure what tent you actually have. Photos would help, including of any branding.
700c

Post by 700c »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152231827 ... 2919564200

I've taken a photo of branding, instructions and the one A frame connector.
I also have 2 poles that go into each end of the connector, and 1 upright pole for the tail end of the tent.

It is possible I don't have all the pieces as this was purchased second hand...
The tent was sturdy when it was put up (but seemed to need more), maybe I just did not guy it out enough?

I'll try to find time later on this evening to take a pic of the tent up.

Thank You chaps.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RobinS wrote:If you currently have an A pole at each end but no ridge pole all adding a ridge pole will do is give you marginally more headroom in the middle of the tent. It will not make it stronger. With old Force 10s that came with a ridge pole standard advice was to remove the ridge pole in severe weather as the tent is stronger without.

that surprizes me, as the pegging to the ground then has some thing to hold against. would be interesting to know what they had in mind
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

You have the sloping ridge Mark 2 Lightweight version which came with front A pole, short single rear upright and a ridge pole. I still have my all-cotton one from the early 80s in the loft & it's one of the best small tents I've had, despite weighing as much as a 3 or 4 man modern backpacking lightweight.
I later acquired a Vango nylon flysheet which saved some weight but that delaminated some years ago.
You do need a ridge pole to with this tent which is inherently less stable than the twin A pole, level ridge versions. While the Mark 2 can be very stable when pitched tail to wind, it is very small internally & needs the mid-side flysheet guylines to be pulled very tight if the walls are not to blow inwards reducing internal space (& producing leaks in the cotton version).
Once you tighten the side guys sufficiently the unsupported ridge is pulled down to such an extent that you can kiss goodbye to retrieving anything from the bottom half of the tent. No matter how tight the ridge-end guys are tensioned, the ridge centre will dip unless supported by a ridge pole.
I used the tent a great deal in Scottish winter & summer trips in some wild weather &, believe me, the ridge pole is essential for all but calm days.
Any decent camping outfitter should be able to supply a suitable alloy ridge pole if you measure the ridge between the holes. Original Vango parts are available but at £29.50 !!!!!!
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Just spotted original ridge poles for Vango 2, 3, 4 & 5 on fleabay from £12.99 plus postage of around a fiver.
200cm should fit all models(My Mk4 & Mk2 are interchangeable). Make sure you get the normal ridge & not the extension model pole.
NB: The ones originally intended for the big Mk5 had an additional sliding sleeve to strengthen the middle joint - worth getting in my opinion.
700c

Post by 700c »

Thank you philsknees.

I have just found another piece of paper in the bottom of the bag;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152231827 ... 919564200/

According to this I do appear to have everything i need? No ridge pole needed??

I'm going to buy one anyway I think.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

700c wrote:Thank you philsknees.

I have just found another piece of paper in the bottom of the bag;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152231827 ... 919564200/

According to this I do appear to have everything i need? No ridge pole needed??

I'm going to buy one anyway I think.

The instructions seems to indicate it is a 3 pole tent - A at tront and single pole at back?
well maybe put the tent up first and post a picture here so we can give our views, may save you some money.
As the chances are the ridge pole will be the wrong length and then you have to cut a bit off and adjust the cable that joins then together ( I have done this and not a nice task) and drill a new hole for the apex at the rear ( does the rear pole have a spike to take ridge pole?)

Certainly your Force 10 is not one people here are familair with?

Yours seem to be a one/two man? bivvy tent? Vango Force Ten MK 2 FW
https://www.caravanbanter.co.uk/13529-vango-force-ten-mk-2-fw.html

here is a picture of the Mk1 FW, slopes to the rear
MK1.JPG

Is your rear pole shorter than the A vertically?

the FW stands for Fly Weight it seems

This seems to be your one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123223379503?clk_rvr_id=1588345437064&rmvSB=true
there are anumber of picture of it at the side
SLOPE.JPG

SINGLE.JPG

I dont think the rear pole has a spike for a ridge pole?
I am wondering whether putting in a ridge pole where there is only one A pole ( at the front) set might make it harder to put up?
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

RobinS wrote:
If you currently have an A pole at each end but no ridge pole all adding a ridge pole will do is give you marginally more headroom in the middle of the tent. It will not make it stronger. With old Force 10s that came with a ridge pole standard advice was to remove the ridge pole in severe weather as the tent is stronger without.

that surprizes me, as the pegging to the ground then has some thing to hold against. would be interesting to know what they had in mind

The principle is that without a ridge pole the pegging pulls the ridge down under tension, but when hit by a strong wind it can flex and shed the force. With a ridge pole in place it is pretty rigid, and at a certain force the ridge pole will inevitably fail. We always used to use a Mk3 classic usually with the pole for better space, and while it never failed catastrophically, in the life of the tent we had to replace bent ridge poles a couple of times.