Eco-friendly tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vorpal

Re: Eco-friendly tent

Post by Vorpal »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Thanks for the link, Vorpal; unfortunately it's taking a year to open for me, but I'll try it another day.

It's graphics heavy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
random37

Post by random37 »

It's not possible to have a "green" tent. There will always be an environmental cost to manufacturing somewhere. The best option is to buy secondhand.

How about an army surplus tent? Heavy, but you're saving it from landfill. The French ones not THAT heavy if you swap out all the steel parts with aluminium ones.

I would buy something more lightweight and take care of it personally.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

random37 wrote:It's not possible to have a "green" tent. There will always be an environmental cost to manufacturing somewhere. The best option is to buy secondhand.

How about an army surplus tent? Heavy, but you're saving it from landfill. The French ones not THAT heavy if you swap out all the steel parts with aluminium ones.

I would buy something more lightweight and take care of it personally.

That's probably about the best recommendation you can make to buy second hand. Though I think there are some manufacturers that make an effort to reduce the carbon impact of their tents.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

just got a 100% recycled tent.

ebay, wild country aspect 2.5 56 quid inc postage from a charity shop in alftreton.

used once maximum from the look of it. two bent pegs and a cut in the bag.

I should get 10-20 years out of it.