Bike thefts from campsites on the Isle of Wight

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pedalsheep

Bike thefts from campsites on the Isle of Wight

Post by pedalsheep »

Sorry to report that anyone planning a cycling holiday on the Isle of Wight would be wise to bring a decent lock or two with them.
https://www.islandecho.co.uk/spike-in-b ... -of-wight/
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Gattonero

Re: Bike thefts from campsites on the Isle of Wight

Post by Gattonero »

Would be interesting to know the details of how this happened, i.e. were the bikes stolen overnight or when the owners were away (on the beach/etc.)?

bad news anyway :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
RickH

Post by RickH »

Is it an ongoing problem? Or a single/spate of incidents that has now passed (the perpetrators having left the island with their ill-gotten gains). Whilst taking care is advisable, it is all too easy for a single incident, or a small number of likely connected incidents, to get blown up into considering it to be the new norm.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

RickH wrote:Is it an ongoing problem? Or a single/spate of incidents that has now passed (the perpetrators having left the island with their ill-gotten gains). Whilst taking care is advisable, it is all too easy for a single incident, or a small number of likely connected incidents, to get blown up into considering it to be the new norm.

I suspect it was someone who came over from the mainland with a van and went on a bike thieving spree for a week. I think something similar happened last year too.
I wasn't trying to spread doom and gloom or suggest that the IOW is a hotbed of bike theft - it isn't, just a little reminder to take sensible precautions.
I think all the thefts happened at night.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I'm sorry to report that this is an ongoing problem with at least 8 bikes stolen from various campsites in the last fortnight. All the thefts happened at night. 2 high end road bikes were stolen from a campsite just down the road from me despite being secured with 4 locks including hefty U locks. It's very sad.