"Best" panniers for cycle camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: "Best" panniers for cycle camping

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:[
As for Classic straps getting caught offroad - WTH do people use the daft shoulder strap method for closure in the first place? I worked out pretty quickly that a simple side to side join one the roll was secured was much quicker, easier and unlikely to snag. IME the shoulder straps are more problem than help even when carrying - the bags have a built in handle that works very well after all!

I'm pretty much with you on this, though I do find there is a point to using the shoulder strap when you're pretty much at sealable capacity as the two ends of the roll don't have to meat one another. But that is once-in-a-blue-moon stuff and I almost always join the two ends of the roll after snugging things down with the central strap.
Using the shoulder straps for a carry is similarly an occasional thing rather than the default, notably if I want my hand(s) for something else. But for the most part I let the shoulder straps rattle around in the bottom of the bag and don't worry about them much.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Personally I don't find the front city rollers difficult to close as long as there not overloaded.roll them down 3 times keeping hold of the middle section you have rolled and insert the clips simple.
On my rear back roller classics I tend not to use the shoulder strap fastener and do as you have suggested and tighten down the central strap and join the 2 ends together easier as has been said . But the loop created has the potential to snag on things like branches. And you don't want that happening on the front .a potential risk. Ok if your on a credit card tour and mainly on decent tracks and roads but if your going through a remote forest / jungle on an overgrown mouse trail its a different matter. The rear panniers are best just anchored down with the central strap when needed too. This is where bike packing kit comes into play ideally and doesn't get in the way .
Ascetically I find the city rollers look neater too. But that's me. Each to their own. We all have different needs and that's good.
RickH

Post by RickH »

As has been said you can overpack rollers (at the expense of waterproofing - not enough turns of the top) if you use the shoulder strap. The strap can also be used, when somewhat underpacked, as a compression strap round the pannier.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m not sure that these altura drylines were available when I bought mine- they replace one of the other Altura designs that I had looked at and was out of stock I think. But they look like a good price, size and spec for cycle touring. I am slightly concerned that I’m going to end up owning lots of pairs of panniers- I don’t generally suffer from this problem- I usually find something that works well enough and pIod on using it until it falls apart.

And currently only £89.99 at wiggle.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-dryline ... _7EALw_wcB