Ticks and wild camping!!!

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
radek

Ticks and wild camping!!!

Post by radek »

A few days ago I have cycled the NCN 78 from Inverness to Oban, wild camping on the way. At one point my legs were covered with tens of those nasty little spiders. I thought that I took them all off, but one tick attached it self to the back of my leg ! I have removed it and all is looking fine, but I found this to be quite scary...

Do you guys have any advice how to prevent getting ticks while wild camping ?
Graham

Re: Ticks and wild camping!!!

Post by Graham »

Keep your legs covered = long trousers.

Keep your arms covered = long sleeves

Close the vital access point = trousers tucked into socks

Smear high-strength DEET on all high-risk surfaces = socks, lower trouser legs . . any remaining exposed skin.

Carry a tick-remover tool and be ready to ask a.n.other to help remove the one(s) you cannot see/reach.
meic

Post by meic »

I would add avoid "undergrowth". Dont wade through any ferns etc as the little critters like to lurk in such vegetation and jump onto you when you pass through it.
Yma o Hyd
RickH

Post by RickH »

Graham wrote:Keep your legs covered = long trousers.

Keep your arms covered = long sleeves

Close the vital access point = trousers tucked into socks

Smear high-strength DEET on all high-risk surfaces = socks, lower trouser legs . . any remaining exposed skin.

Carry a tick-remover tool and be ready to ask a.n.other to help remove the one(s) you cannot see/reach.

meic wrote:I would add avoid "undergrowth". Dont wade through any ferns etc as the little critters like to lurk in such vegetation and jump onto you when you pass through it.

I usually wear shorts (or 3/4) & short sleeves when walking, no DEET (or anything else), merrily tramp through the undergrowth & have never seen, let alone owned, a tick removing tool.

AFAIK, in nearly 60 years I've never physically seen a tick or been bitten by one. Maybe they just don't like me! (Although I am a bit of a midge magnet! :? )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ticks are more numerous in some areas than others but they're becoming more common generally. It's quite likely they do bite some people more than others, just like mosquitoes.

You don't necessarily need a specific tick-removal tool, you can use a pair of tweezers. The important thing is to grasp the tick firmly and pull it straight up perpendicular to your skin. Do not twist or bend it. You must get it all out. If there's any part of it (usually the head) left in there, you'd best go to GP or A&E to get it removed, or it will decompose inside you, leading to all sorts of potential nasties.

Now you've been bitten, you need to look out for Lyme disease. First symptom is a bull's eye rash around the bite. This can take up to 36 days to develop. If you spot it, go to GP and get antibiotics. It's pretty rare though.
meic

Post by meic »

I have had a few ticks, I also wear shorts, sandals, sit on grass etc.

It was getting to be a regular occurrence during my annual trips to the New Forest.
Since I dropped my habit of nipping into the ferns for a pee, I havent had any more, so far.
Yma o Hyd
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks guys for the advices ! I am going to do things differently next time. I love wild camping too much and ticks will not win with me :mrgreen:

It looks that I did everything wrong !

I missed a ferry to the other side of Fort William. I was planning on wild camping on the beach on the other side of the loch. It was getting late... I was tired and hungry.... So I have quickly cycled outside Fort William and started looking for a camping spot. I found this lovely flat ground next to a small river stream - it was just perfect, but I had to walk through quite a lot FERNS etc. to get to there. I also had SHORTS on and DID NOT USE ANY REPELLENT. After returning from the area scouting to the place I left my bike and bags, I have noticed tons of ticks on my legs. They have even went under my socks :lol: I have instantly freaked out :cry: and cycled back to Fort William. Luckily I have found a camping ground - horrible overcrowded camping ground and really bad for sleeping...

Thankfully, I do not have any rush and feel well!

The day before I have wild camped next to Fort Angus in a similar spot and there were no ticks over there - I had an amazing sleep.

It is funny that midges do not really bother me, but I must be a magnet for ticks. I prefer midges though....
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Spray your exposed skin with a brand name insect repellent before your ride, top up when necessary, when you have sweated lots or reapply once in the day.

Ticks can be very small indeed, and you won't necessarily be able to see them till you have a wash in the shower, they will then be felt with your fingers.

Had one the other day, did not have a tool to remove, did spray after I picked it up, but it hung on.
Force removed it as after I day they feed and infect, now I have a slight infection and a spot.

Lately the blighters have become resistant to almost anything I believe.
Good luck.

Old story had to take a natural break on way home, at home 100 ticks removed from buttocks by er indoors :)
You do need tick tools and the smallest you will struggle to remove with tools, talking from experience.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My wife is a tick magnet, and still manages to pick them up around e.g. her ankles with long trousers tucked in to socks. We don't know how she does it, but she does. Orienteering, on exactly the same terrain and same day she will get several, I might get one or two.

You can get insect repellent clothing which might help too, e.g. these).

The main thing is check often, and if you've been in a high exposure spot have someone help you for those awkward hard-to-see spots. Once found, detach quickly using a tick hook or card. There is very little chance of disease if they're dealt with quickly (within a few hours, AIUI).

They can come back to haunt you after a trip by staying in direty clothes, surviving a low temperature watch and attaching if the clothes are used relatively soon after (no idea how long they hang about like this).

Ghastly things, but a fact of life these days. So check and remove promptly with a suitable tool.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
slowster

Post by slowster »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You do need tick tools and the smallest you will struggle to remove with tools, talking from experience.

I carry the O'Tom Tick Twister, which comes in a pack of two, one being a smaller size intended for smaller ticks. However, I cannot comment on its effectiveness, because so far I have been lucky and have not had to use them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-02-3785-Tick-Twister/dp/B0089BOK12
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We used to have a "spring rise" of ticks and again in the autumn. This year it’s been most noticeable there has been a daily find, since early spring, of ticks on our dog.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

they seem to have spread of late with the surge in the wild deer populations and mild winters. now you get warnings countrywide.

hopefully a return to seasons might help matters.

I carry a tick tool and tweezers anyway but still hate the little buggers. I havent tried to see if skin so soft deters them but tea tree wipes do and other essential oils so rubbing vick on your skin or clothing might help or making up a citronella or lavender spray.

there is a line in tick coverings that look like tights which might be the answer and some sites recomend them

https://commonsensehome.com/natural-tick-repellents/

https://www.amazon.com/Lymeez-Permethri ... B07BGTF1MV

I used to get covered in them during military training up in jockistan 30 years ago, pulled out hundreds in the showers at dreghorn and probably have lyme disease somewhere in my system if the sypmtoms are anything to go by. back then we were told to cover them up with vaseline and a plaster because they breathe through their bottom as well so have to reverse out. that advice changed though. I usually used tweezers.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Not tried it personally but some of the more experienced (eccentric?) members of the Backpackers Club used to put great store in primrose flowers (tucked in socks around the ankles) or primrose oil for repelling ticks. Apparently the theory is that strong smelling plants/extracts confuse the ticks sensors so that they don't target you as you pass by.
Other strong-smelling plant extracts dabbed around the ankles, such as lavender or eucalyptus oil are reputed to have a similar effect.
Ticks are mainly carried by deer which tend to favour bracken for cover but they're also commonly found on long grass. The recent explosion in the Scottish deer population has resulted in a marked increase in the number of ticks.
Once on your body they tend to head for warm moist areas, so if you find ticks on your legs some may have already migrated upwards - it's well worth a close check beyond the obviously visible ones but extracting them yourself from such areas is a whole new ball game!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Quite true!
If you find one then look for others, talking from experience.

If you have never seen one or had one as a personal friend you need to get out more :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.