UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vorpal

Re: UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Post by Vorpal »

Congratulations on your accomplishment :)

Maybe something to think about for another time is cycling to family or a friend's house, or to meet up with someone. If they don't live within one day's cycling, camp on your own one night, then meet them the next. If you can't afford a pub, invite them for a Trangia cooked meal 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe get some ear plugs? I use wax ones, can get them from the chemists. An essential small accessory - when it rains you hear each droplet on the tent even if it is just spitting, you think it is a deluge :? :lol:
random37

Post by random37 »

Brilliant! Considering you're now out of season, that went really well.

I suspect that if you aren't used to it, earplugs will not help you. It's not going to be easy to sleep outdoors until you are used to it. I wouldn't be able to sleep with earplugs in. Too quiet! The nature soundscape is part of the experience for me.

Still, sounds like a really positive trip! Next time, see if you can carry a ukulele! Light, cheap, a bit limited, but the perfect camping instrument. Love mine for just noodling when I'm on my own (rare these days, sadly).
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The trick about getting fit is to start using your bike much more in dayly life. This builds a basic level of fitness from where it is quite easy to improve. Combine this with short rides in the evening twice a week, and you will have built even more fitness. Beyond that, you still have a month or so for weekend tours before it gets too dark and too cold too early. But even then, you can go on a brisk day ride on a nice Sunday, and do 50-60 km before dusk. Make sure you use your low gears if you want to avoid knee injuries. With all this, you will be fit enough for more extended in the Spring.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Where things are in the panniers ... well I find that if your touring for more than a week things will migrate from one pannier to the next. After a week they settle into a fixed spot. Then your list of where things are has to be modified :lol:

And setting up the tent .. well that too will change over time .. including what you put where inside the tent.

Some more practice and you'll find things will get better as you find things that simply work better for you. The first week is always the toughest.

Ear plugs are a necessity. Along with lip balm. And a water proof jacket. Etc. :wink:
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I only have two rear panniers for my stuff. One has most of my clothing, with my sleeping bag and mattress on top. This is all the stuff that should stay really dry, and this is the pannier that I will not need to open during the day. The other pannier has the stove, a plate and a cup, food and an extra vest for when it gets cold during the day. This is the pannier that I may have to open briefly during the day, but none of this stuff needs to stay completely dry. A few drops of rain will not hurt. My potentially wet rain jacket and overtrousers are strapped to the outside. The tent goes on top of the rack. The hardest bit is all the little stuff that goes into the handlebar bag, such as a spare tube, a phone and charger, spare gps batteries, medication, wallet, a little tool etc.
Last edited by willem jongman on 12 Sep 2018, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Well done, sounds overwhelmingly positive and you are starting to build the experience of what works for you.

Enjoy, keep building things steadily!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I get the impression that we're all really pleased with what the OP has done. Two things stand out for me: they've done it alone and it has involved an overnight camp. That's two big thresholds overcome and the world is now their oyster. It's really inspiring - so thank you Old Blue for sharing your story!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Old Blue

Post by Old Blue »

Thanks everyone for all of the positive comments! I do feel rather proud that I got out there and did it, even if only for one night. :D

Willem I think putting cycling back into my daily life is spot on. I often go busking in a city 17 miles from home, hopefully by next summer I will have a modified cart and be able to ride to and from the city (saving train fare in the process!) Until then I will do my shopping, etc by bike/panniers and try to get at least one longer ride in per week. As I don't have a standard 9-5 job, this will be fairly easy to accomplish.

As for the tent - putting it up and taking it down it will get easier, but it's still too heavy and low. I've looked at several tents and the Hex Mini tent looks good as far as weight/space/quick pitching time, however it will take a bit of saving up for. I may try to get a second-hand Quick hiker 2 in the meantime.

Ear plugs are worth a try - though getting used to sleeping outdoors will help too. There were lots of strange sounds that my imagination turned into potential threats and led to a bit of anxiety about being alone. I'm hoping this is something I will get over with time and experience.

My son has a guitelele so I may bring that next time - very light weight and no new chord shapes to learn!

What lock do you bring along on a tour? I brought my usual D lock and cable which feels like it's made from cast iron. There must be a better option that is lighter in weight.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I tend to take my D lock and cable. It's not light (1.3kg IIRC) but the bike is basically unattended overnight and the loss of the bike would be an annoying way to cut short a tour. Plenty of other weight on the bike too! I wouldn't use the lightweight lock I take on group daytrips.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

You could try buying and fitting one of these. As referred to on another thread a few weeks ago.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073VKMJDH
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Old Blue wrote:The bad Feeling a bit lonely at the campground.

OK ..
Sometimes I camp by my self. I don't find that a problem. Perhaps a podcast might help?
Or a book - you can get ones that are read to you .. LibriVox is one source. I assume you have a 'smart phone'.

If there are people around you .. then go introduce yourself. Be open, but do take any hints.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Well done, I’m glad you had a mostly good experience. Word of warning on cycle touring- there tend to be real highs and lows. Yep- chair is good and even though I’m mixed on my hubba hubba it’s a ten minute pitch at most.

I’m currently cycling EV17 (via Rhona) by myself. I’ve downloaded movies from iPlayer and Netflix to my phone but I’m mostly reading the Deborah Harkness all souls trilogy. Mind you I live in a very busy household with kids, dogs etc and a bit of peace and quiet is blooming lovely. I do speak French (ish) and find that most people want to stop for a chat and ask what I’m doing. The locals seem to be big fans of the via Rhona.

Ps my low was the on the second day when I sat up in the tent, felt dizzy and promptly threw up. I had 48 hours of severe vertigo and now it’s just very mild so I can cycle but I’ve been having some hotel nights as the air bed in the tent makes it worse. I’ve had to chop a chunk out of my way planned route though which is really annoying. ToMorrow I’m cycling through avignon and staying in Arles.
random37

Post by random37 »

Littgull wrote:You could try buying and fitting one of these. As referred to on another thread a few weeks ago.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073VKMJDH

If that goes off by accident, you will not be popular at the campsite.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Congratulations on getting out there and doing it OldBlue :)
Glad it went well.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.