UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Old Blue

Re: UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Post by Old Blue »

I hope you are feeling better MrsHJ! I also live in a busy household and treasure peace and quiet, so I was surprised that I felt lonely, especially as I tend to enjoy my own company more than being social. I am assuming you are female (from the Mrs in your username) - do you ever feel unsafe camping on your own? I'm hoping it's something that I will get more comfortable with over time, but having experienced an attack in the past (not while camping), I am always on alert for possible dangerous situations.

I would like to go out again before too long, possibly in early November if the weather isn't too cold. I would like a different tent though, as the long setting up/taking down was probably the low point of the trip. I will need to see how my finances are as to whether I can actually afford something else.

I unpacked everything yesterday and found that I had brought my pocket knife, but had packed it in a rather hidden part of my barbag. :oops:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Old Blue wrote:I hope you are feeling better MrsHJ! I also live in a busy household and treasure peace and quiet, so I was surprised that I felt lonely, especially as I tend to enjoy my own company more than being social. I am assuming you are female (from the Mrs in your username) - do you ever feel unsafe camping on your own? I'm hoping it's something that I will get more comfortable with over time, but having experienced an attack in the past (not while camping), I am always on alert for possible dangerous situations.

I would like to go out again before too long, possibly in early November if the weather isn't too cold. I would like a different tent though, as the long setting up/taking down was probably the low point of the trip. I will need to see how my finances are as to whether I can actually afford something else.

I unpacked everything yesterday and found that I had brought my pocket knife, but had packed it in a rather hidden part of my barbag. :oops:

if your tent is PU coated ( on the inside ) it should not be stored in its bag for long term due to the coating tending to degrade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote:Ps my low was the on the second day when I sat up in the tent, felt dizzy and promptly threw up. I had 48 hours of severe vertigo and now it’s just very mild so I can cycle but I’ve been having some hotel nights as the air bed in the tent makes it worse. I’ve had to chop a chunk out of my way planned route though which is really annoying. ToMorrow I’m cycling through avignon and staying in Arles.
Sorry you've been ill. I hope that you are feeling better, now. There seems to be something going round. I had dizziness & vertigo when some friends were visiting the second weekend of August, and I know several people who have reported similar symptoms in the UK & Norway in the last few weeks. I never threw up, but it was a near thing. It felt very much like motion sickness. Taking Dramamine helped for the couple of days when I was worst affected. It took me a few days to clear completely, and I had moments (or minutes) for a couple of weeks afterwards where I thought I was having a relapse, but they didn't last very long
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Responding to your question about camping alone. When younger I got a certain amount of hassle generally and had a couple of unconfortable camping experiences- one when it was just me and one other at a campsite (totally unjustified- I just felt a bit vulnerable) and the other I La Rochelle where the 2 lads next to me (allotted by the site- I always opt to camp next to families) were very determined and made me deeply uncomfortable and I felt threatened. My French decided to rapidly deteriorate and I spent the evening on the esplanade reading my book under a streetlight.

These days I’m happily no longer hassled but some vulnerability I think remains for any of us when we are by ourselves in new environments. So I’d generally aim for a campsite with other people around and understand that you might not be so keen if it’s just you. Try warm showers? I’m a host and have had solo females to stay.