UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vorpal

Re: Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Post by Vorpal »

HobbesOnTour wrote:You seem to have the bottomless "bits box" :D

Doesn't everyone? :oops:

Mine, unfortunately, is a bit too 1980s to often find very much of use in it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Old Blue

Post by Old Blue »

My bits box is huge, completely unorganised, and much of it useless stuff that seemed to good to throw away. I must have at least 3 sets of pedals/cleats in there, lots of screws and plastic things to mount God-knows-what onto a bike, bar tape, inner tubes for a road bike, 3 uncomfortable saddles... mainly junk left over from my racing days. I don't have any kind of shed/garage to use as a workspace so it's all just thrown in a very large plastic box. Clearing it out and giving away what I won't use again will be a winter project.

I can put up my tent, I've blown up and deflated my air mattress, my sleeping bag is freshly washed and aired, I boiled some water on the Trangia last night (which is very impressive - such a neat little stove!) I have a list of things to pack, and hopefully won't forget anything I desperately need. I'm not going too far from home, though am taking winding back roads to the campgrounds which will add on more miles. I can easily switch over to a shorter route if I really struggle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Old Blue wrote: I'm not going too far from home, though am taking winding back roads to the campgrounds which will add on more miles. I can easily switch over to a shorter route if I really struggle.

That sounds perfect :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

if you carry an extra 20l of water in your panniers then tip it out for the way home you will feel much fitter and have a sense of acheivement. :shock:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Old Blue wrote:My bits box is huge, completely unorganised, and much of it useless stuff that seemed to good to throw away. I must have at least 3 sets of pedals/cleats in there, lots of screws and plastic things to mount God-knows-what onto a bike,.

never ever throw away any screws Old Blue.

They'll come in some day for something - if only to fix that annoying non standard rattly bit on your coffin.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm hoping to be really really dead when in my coffin so won't hear a thing.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Vantage wrote:I'm hoping to be really really dead when in my coffin so won't hear a thing.

so why do they soundproof them with all that padding?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Vorpal wrote:
HobbesOnTour wrote:You seem to have the bottomless "bits box" :D

Doesn't everyone? :oops:

Describing the distribution of ours as a "box" takes a considerable feat of imagination...

This helps it fulfil the proper function, however, which is never finding the bit you thought you had but can't quite remember where until you've given up and just bought a new one.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Old Blue

Post by Old Blue »

pjclinch wrote:which is never finding the bit you thought you had but can't quite remember where until you've given up and just bought a new one.

Pete.

Ain't that the truth!!! :oops:
Old Blue

Re: UPDATE - went!!! Budget touring : seeking advice on equipment

Post by Old Blue »

I'm back home after my first little tour! :D

I had a lovely ride yesterday, meandering around little villages and stopping where I pleased. The first 12-15 miles were easy but I struggled with the last 5. I've never ridden a fully loaded touring bike and it was so heavy, I wondered if I could even pedal it one mile let alone 20, especially as I have only been on a few little rides over the last couple of months and am very unfit. The bike was built for touring and it handled like a dream. I did need to go very slow up the hills but this was expected. I was slightly worried about all the weight on the back wheel as I am a sizeable person. I packed the heavier things in the front panniers, and the steering (and back wheel!) were fine. Next time I will take less and hopefully there will be less of me as well.

I was a bit knackered when I arrived at the campsite but wanted to put up the tent right before I got too stiff and sore. I've used the tent before, but this time it took 45+ mins to erect. Possibly because I was tired, but then again this morning taking it down seemed to take ages. I know for sure that I want a different tent - something lighter and much quicker to pitch, and with more headroom. Once everything was set up, I had a shower, went for a walk, and came back to cook dinner on the Trangia which worked very well.

There was a huge windstorm last night and though I was plenty warm enough in my skip-find sleeping bag, the noise kept me awake for most of the night. I was up at 5:45 and decided there was no point in trying to get more sleep, so packed everything up and rode home. I nearly beat the rainstorm, but at least everything was packed away by the time it hit so stayed dry inside the bin bag-lined panniers. I had planned on going somewhere else today and camping for one more night, but had the chance of a last minute gig tonight and took it. I was a bit sore when I started but after about 3 miles felt fine. In hindsight I think two days might have been too much considering how unfit I am.

The good - bike handled like a dream. I had more than enough kit for an enjoyable trip. Riding in crocs was absolutely fine. Cooking on the Trangia was fun. The wind seemed to be at my back the entire way home. No mechanical problems. Being back on the bike felt wonderful and seeing the country and a slower pace was lovely.

The bad - Tent taking far too long to put up and take down. Lack of sleep. Not having a list of what was in each pannier so I had to empty them all out to find what I needed. Feeling a bit lonely at the campground. Lack of a chair. Forgot my pocket knife.

The tent, pannier list, knife, and chair can easily be remedied before my next trip. The lack of sleep - well that's just one of those things. I hope to have some friends on my trips next year so hopefully won't feel too lonely at night. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Thank you all again for your help - I probably wouldn't have even attempted a trip without all the support and advice given here! :D

20180910_133054 (1).jpg
PH

Post by PH »

Brilliant, sounds like a great first tour. You'll learn what suites you as you go along, then think you've got it all sorted, then find you haven't... that's part of the fun. Being able to change plans as you go is also a big advantage, for me it's the biggest plus of camping.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Good to hear that you enjoyed it. It sounds like you need to do this more often (and get fitter in the process). Taking less also helps. I was out for the weekend as well, and had less than 12 kg.
You do not say whether it was just the wind that was noisy, or also the tent flapping etc. Pitching a small tent should not take that long once you kow how to do it (five or ten minutes is more like it). I had taken my son's festival tent, a Decathlon Quickhiker 2. I could not quite remember how to pitch it, so it took me just a bit longer, but not more than 10-15 minutes. The tent was quiet (it is a self suporting dome so inherently quiet) and I was in the middle of the forest. I did wake up from the noise of the rain, however.
Boredom in the evening is a problem in this time of the year. It gets dark and cold early so you either have to go to bed (really) early or eat out in the campsite's restaurant or a nearby pub.
Old Blue

Post by Old Blue »

The noise wasn't from the tent, which is a freestanding geodesic inner and fly over. The pegging out took such a long time, it seemed never ending. I've put the tent up before with another person and it took at least 20 mins, so shouldn't be surprised at how long it took on my own when I was tired. It's old and heavy and I will be glad to be rid of it. The Quick Hiker 2 looks to be a nice tent - one I'd definitely consider!

I will pare down the weight of what I take before I go again - I ended up being in a bit of a hurry to pack and leave so just threw in anything I thought I might need, and it was far too much. I had no money for the nearby pub so stayed in the tent and read a book. I usually travel with my family and although I was quite happy riding on my own, the night was very lonely. The campground was quiet - only two motorhomes parked up but I didn't see any other people.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Earplugs are cheap and light and can be helpful camping in the wind. Good on you for getting out and making it work!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Old Blue

Post by Old Blue »

pjclinch wrote:Earplugs are cheap and light and can be helpful camping in the wind. Good on you for getting out and making it work!

Thanks pjclinch - those will definitely be on my next list of things to take!!! :)