Edelrid type converter for campingaz

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
whoof

Edelrid type converter for campingaz

Post by whoof »

Has anyone used a converter that will allow a Campingaz click canister to be converted to a threaded stove that isn't an Edelrid?

There seem to be a lot on Amazon (see link below) from £1.27 to £9.00 just wondered if anyone had used one and if so what their impressions of it were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Campin ... NN7T1CENXM
Kernowboy

Re: Edelrid type converter for campingaz

Post by Kernowboy »

I have this Edelrid adaptor and i find it excellent. Would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Ventil ... B076ZYPJJF
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Kernowboy wrote:I have this Edelrid adaptor and i find it excellent. Would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Ventil ... B076ZYPJJF

Does it work with other brands of stove? Is it just a universal Gaz to screw adaptor that'll work with any stove?

Been looking at something like this myself as it's often easier to find Gaz cartridges than screw type in some areas.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I bought one it was poorly made and fell apart, the screws had poor engagement.
Not the same as the one in links, but was a convertor that does the same sort of thing.

I only bought it because I had a blow lamp but could not get the canisters, have some spare canisters different fitting.
Keep meaning to fix.
I think the price might denote the quality with these things, mine was peanuts.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Yes it just converts the click and twist campingaz cartidge for use with any threaded gas stove.

I used to take two stoves in my early days of camping :D I now learnt (the hard way) that the lighter you travel the more enjoyable it is, and ditching one stove was just the start!

I have had the Edlerid one for four years and had no ptoblems, agreed it is expensive but well made
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

whoof wrote:Has anyone used a converter that will allow a Campingaz click canister to be converted to a threaded stove that isn't an Edelrid?

There seem to be a lot on Amazon (see link below) from £1.27 to £9.00 just wondered if anyone had used one and if so what their impressions of it were.

those adapters are for the butane gas cans not camping gaz. I've only seen the eldrid as an option, although some stoves have adapters built in.

however taking on of the cheap adapters might be just as good as an eldrid because the shop is more likely to carry the cheap gas alongside camping gas as it is so common.

if you find the one with the double threaded couple with tap on you can use the adapter to refill empty threaded cans with butane.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Convert ... 46XQQTADN7

although on ebay its around 7 quid.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

whoof wrote:Has anyone used a converter that will allow a Campingaz click canister to be converted to a threaded stove that isn't an Edelrid?

Those adapters are for this type of (usually cheap) canister. They have the same type of valve as an aerosol spray can, visible if you pull the spray nozzle off.
The canisters are intended for use in the briefcase style stoves, and must normally be used with the canister horizontal, with the correct side upwards, as defined by the notch in the canister rim that the black nub on the adapter fits into. Not using them, I can't remember whether it's notch up or notch down.

If a lightweight camping stove is used with such a canister and the adapter, you'll get liquid gas feeding through to the burner and a big flare should the canister not be kept at the correct orientation.
The only reliably safe stoves are those with a hose attachment and a preheat loop (eg Alpkit Koro, MSR Windpro)

Kernowboy's link is to the correct adapter for Camping Gaz click-on canisters.
They work well.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies. The Amazon ads weren't that clear as to what they fitted and a price of less than £1.30 including free postage from China certainly raised suspicions regarding quality.
This summer's trip to Spain resulted me missing the large Carrefour supermarket in Malaga where I was hoping to pick up Campingaz and for three days only found screw fit canisters. I've got a suitable stove that I use in this country so for next year I'll get a proper Edelrid converter.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

andrew_s wrote:

Those adapters are for this type of (usually cheap) canister. They have the same type of valve as an aerosol spray can, visible if you pull the spray nozzle off.
The canisters are intended for use in the briefcase style stoves, and must normally be used with the canister horizontal, with the correct side upwards, as defined by the notch in the canister rim that the black nub on the adapter fits into. Not using them, I can't remember whether it's notch up or notch down.

If a lightweight camping stove is used with such a canister and the adapter, you'll get liquid gas feeding through to the burner and a big flare should the canister not be kept at the correct orientation.
The only reliably safe stoves are those with a hose attachment and a preheat loop (eg Alpkit Koro, MSR Windpro)

Kernowboy's link is to the correct adapter for Camping Gaz click-on canisters.
They work well.

if you use them upright they work fine, its all down to the inner pipe and where it sits in the can. there's a cutaway somewhere when I had this discussion somewhere else.

I use a refill adapter to top up or reuse empty camping cans then the click on adapter to burn off the rest of the gas with three or four brews or a meal.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

crazydave789 wrote:if you use them upright they work fine, its all down to the inner pipe and where it sits in the can. there's a cutaway somewhere when I had this discussion somewhere else.

The inner pipe on the cutaway I saw ended about half way along the long side of the can, where it would be submerged with a full, upright can.
Halfway is probably best when you allow for the target stove type being used on a non-level surface.

It's probably a mistake to believe that they are necessarily all the same.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

here we go.

so upright is fine and the tube position shows why you still have some left when using them to refill old cans.
Scunnered

Re: converter for campingaz

Post by Scunnered »

There was a time when I was "enthusiastic" :roll: about making lightweight stoves, the final result was this one:

The connector will connect to campingaz canisters as well as the common Lindal (threaded) type, but not the bayonet type shown in the previous post.