Terra Nova Solar Groundsheet tape refix

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Graham

Terra Nova Solar Groundsheet tape refix

Post by Graham »

The original tape, which covers the sewn seams on the groundsheet corners, has broken away from whatever was glueing it into place.

Is this something I can fix, myself, with the right glue ? The tape sections are very short and only one has broken away in a big way.

000_0011.JPG
PH

Re: Terra Nova Solar Groundsheet tape refix

Post by PH »

I've used seam grip for similar repairs, either to stick the tape back down, or if you remove the tape altogether it'll still seal the stitching
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mcnett-gea ... ip-p107601

Alternatively tenacious tape will do the same job and it's a useful thing to have along on a camping trip anyway.

BTW which s Solar? I'm a 2.2 fan, I've never seen a tent which I'd rather have. Just bought a new flysheet so I'm hoping I'll never need to use anything else :)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Graham wrote:Is this something I can fix, myself, with the right glue ?

Terra Nova offer a lifetime guarantee, why attempt to fix it yourself?
If you are not the original owner you could 'phone for advice.
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/p/customer ... /contacts/
Graham

Post by Graham »

PH wrote:BTW which s Solar? I'm a 2.2 fan, I've never seen a tent which I'd rather have. Just bought a new flysheet so I'm hoping I'll never need to use anything else :)

Wow, you are a person of exceptionally good taste . . . . Exits both sides : more space inside ( than a Solar 1* ) & not much heavier.

I have seen very few 2nd hand and always prevaricated too long.

I cannot work out why Terra Nova only produced them for only one shortish period.

Ron wrote:Terra Nova offer a lifetime guarantee, why attempt to fix it yourself?

My next step will be to contact them and see what they say.
I'll also ask why the Solar 2.2 is no more . . . . . perhaps they will offer to make me a one-off :P

* Mine is a Solar 1
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ron wrote:
Graham wrote:Is this something I can fix, myself, with the right glue ?

Terra Nova offer a lifetime guarantee, why attempt to fix it yourself?
If you are not the original owner you could 'phone for advice.
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/p/customer ... /contacts/

Won't hurt to ask, but "lifetime guarantees" are typically against faults in manufacture of the components or the end product, and don't cover wear and tear from normal use (i.e., seam taping coming adrift after many years).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

shoegoo or similar products are the same as seamgrip but usually cheaper. regular clear silicone will also work and woudl have been a much better option from the start.

tents used to come with a mid sized tube for seam sealing which was a right pain but only done the once.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

It’s possible to buy seam sealing tape or seam sealing glue – the latter is probably easier to apply and certainly easy to effect small repairs – might be sufficient for your needs. Alternatively, Terra Nova offer good repair service. With tents where the tape is coming off everywhere it may be worth considering replacing the whole groundsheet if it’s pretty old. Terra Nova do this (I’ve replaced groundsheets and flysheets, does extend the life of the whole tent for a long time but not cheap, unless the warranty will cover it), as can other companies, all on the internet.

Years ago we used a Fjallraven tent which was supplied with a bar of wax: you simply rubbed along the seam and then ironed, and could see the wax flow into the stitching. This was easy and satisfying to do and it worked well. We still have the tent in the attic, not used beyond a play tent these days (long stays in the Alps caused the fly sheet to become brittle) and we probably even have some part-used bars of wax knocking around (excellent on the cotton jackets they used to make).
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Graham

Post by Graham »

UPDATE : A rather more thorough search of the Terra Nova website reveals that they recommend SILNET - Silicone Seam Sealer

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and- ... aler-glue/

EDIT :
Having looked at - Seam Grip - the other product in the range I note that

NOTE: Please note that Seam Grip is NOT suitable for use on Sil-nylon (silicon based) tent fabrics.
PH

Post by PH »

Graham wrote:UPDATE : A rather more thorough search of the Terra Nova website reveals that they recommend SILNET - Silicone Seam Sealer

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and- ... aler-glue/

EDIT :
Having looked at - Seam Grip - the other product in the range I note that

NOTE: Please note that Seam Grip is NOT suitable for use on Sil-nylon (silicon based) tent fabrics.

Yes, but your groundsheet isn't silicon.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Ok, thanks for the correction. I'm getting a bit confused with all these modern tent materials.

This is the Terra Nova text that seemed to give the comprehensive answer :-
TerraNova wrote:SILNET . . . .
This multi-purpose sealer and glue is suitable for all Terra Nova and Wild Country flysheet and groundsheet materials.
PH

Post by PH »

Graham wrote:Ok, thanks for the correction. I'm getting a bit confused with all these modern tent materials.

This is the Terra Nova text that seemed to give the comprehensive answer :-
TerraNova wrote:SILNET . . . .
This multi-purpose sealer and glue is suitable for all Terra Nova and Wild Country flysheet and groundsheet materials.

Yes, you can use the silnet on either, but you can still use the seal grip on the groundsheet, if we're reading from the same page, the very next line of the TN answer says...
emergency and temporary repairs" needed to our silicone coated flysheets found in our superlight range.

My bold, it's only the superlight flysheets which are silicon coated, which is why they aren't taped. The groundsheets are PU, hence the tape.