Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote:These are the best tent pets I have found. Strong,light, cheap and don't bend.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultralight- ... CQQAvD_BwE

This sort of thing is especially good for hard/stony ground, but if things are a bit softer then a V-section has better holding power (Y section holds the same but is stronger). A selection if good.

Pegs are something that gear junkies (e.g., me) do get too hung up upon. The pegs that came with my Spacepacker were pretty dreadful in a lot of respects. Very cheap, bendy alloy skewers (Robert Saunders said he only shipped pegs with tents as doing otherwise would be like battery toys without batteries, but it was really better to select your own for the job at hand), but they never let me (or, crucially, the tent) down. So while the sort of thing linked to here is better and I heartily endorse getting the like, the world won't end if you don't have them. You might end up having to hunt longer for a workable pitch though.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Tangled Metal wrote:
BTW to the op best thing to do is shop around and actually look at tents. As you can tell everyone has an opinion but your own is the only right one.

Absolutely. In fact, it's almost a waste of time discussing tents unless the OP has declared where they stand in relation to weight and space - then you can recommend the best tent within those parameters.

I have two tents (of several), one of which is a small (one man) tunnel and weighs 1.5 kg, the other a spacious two man tunnel with extended porch that weighs 3.5 kg. I think both are excellent but to say the first is too cramped and the second too heavy is of course absurd.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got a good brand of tent with alloy y pegs and they're awful in anything but perfect grass and soil or possibly sand. Most sites we had in France were too stony and about 25% were bent beyond use. Fortunately we had titanium skewers and v pegs. The skewers worked well for the worst of stony ground but even Titanium y pegs were bent slightly at least once and a skewer too.

My advice is titanium pegs in a few shapes are worth buying. Aluminium alloy pegs are rarely good for rocky ground ime. However I don't have much experience of different pegs so there might be some good ones. My pegs range from cheap steel skewers, cheap steel nail pegs that weigh a lot to aluminium alloy skewers, v pegs, y pegs, titanium v pegs and skewers.

I'm looking for something else. Good stony ground but lightweight pegs, good lightweight alloy or titanium pegs for softer soil and sandy soils.
Keepingtheoldmanout

Post by Keepingtheoldmanout »

Memo Hornet 1P

It’s mega light 700g not too roomy though but fits under the crossbar for a nice bikepacking set up

For Bicycle Touring I have an MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person tent which is roomy and a bit heavy
hamster

Post by hamster »

£350! Ouch.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Paulatic wrote:
tempsperdu wrote:Have you had a look at Trekkertent?
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/

Aren’t they more for someone trekking with walking sticks?
Certainly cost more than something I’d buy for 3 or 4 nights

You can use any pole of suitable length, it adds very little weight (100gr?) and can be stashed under the top-tube. Easy-peasy.
Those tents are not cheap but not expensive either, if you think are made with very good materials and made in UK are actually reasonable priced :)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
tempsperdu wrote:Have you had a look at Trekkertent?
http://www.trekkertent.com/home/

Aren’t they more for someone trekking with walking sticks?

You can use any pole of suitable length, it adds very little weight (100gr?) and can be stashed under the top-tube. Easy-peasy.
Those tents are not cheap but not expensive either, if you think are made with very good materials and made in UK are actually reasonable priced :)

Can you recommend such a pole gatto? Or do you just mean a bit of spare tent pole?

I do have a pole I bought for bivvying but it isn't fantastically lightweight and slightly cumbersome on the rack.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Aren’t they more for someone trekking with walking sticks?

Can you recommend such a pole gatto? Or do you just mean a bit of spare tent pole?

I do have a pole I bought for bivvying but it isn't fantastically lightweight and slightly cumbersome on the rack.

Many (most?) suppliers of trekking-pole based shelters will supply an optional tent pole for the job. These are much the same as other lightweight tent poles, though are often a little chunkier than poles for e.g. tunnel and geodesic tents as you don't them to bend as much. OTOH you've got much less total length so there's not a huge weight hit.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have no idea what this is like and it appears to have fibreglass poles, just plonked here for information purposes.

Definitely cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Unise ... 76202#rwid
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Aren’t they more for someone trekking with walking sticks?

the guys from BearBones do them, good stuff proven on the track (they don't design things by the office coffee machine thinking about a marketing target, 'nuff said!)
http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/s ... at=shelter
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks gatto - will check them out.
Sweep
MargS

Post by MargS »

Hello,

Thank-you to everyone who took the time to reply with suggestions and points to consider. I will have a look at the suggestions. Hopefully, if I actually go to the trouble of buying one then I will use it.

Thanks again.
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

robing wrote:I've had a Vango Blade 100 one man tent for 4 years and it's been a great tent for cycle touring. Only 1.5kg. The beauty of this tent is that it has a single pole that runs lengthways so you get decent height, enough to sit up. Plus it has a porch. They don't make it any more but you may be able to get one second hand or eBay Amazon etc

I also have the Blade and think it’s a great tent. It weighs in around 1.6kg and packs reasonably small.
I also have a 3F Ultralight tent off Aliexpress. 700 grams and packs to almost the same size as my bivvy.
It’s totally dependant on what you need. There is no right answer.

https://m.uk.dhgate.com/product/wholesa ... %7C#pd-024
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

the guys from BearBones do them, good stuff proven on the track (they don't design things by the office coffee machine thinking about a marketing target, 'nuff said!)
http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/s ... at=shelter

thanks to some serial bungling by Vango (but top marks to them for sorting and their responsivenes) in trying to send me a spare pole section for a bent pole bit in a tent I have just bought I seem to have acquired a rather nice three section bivi pole :)
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sbcoombs wrote:
robing wrote:I've had a Vango Blade 100 one man tent for 4 years and it's been a great tent for cycle touring. Only 1.5kg. The beauty of this tent is that it has a single pole that runs lengthways so you get decent height, enough to sit up. Plus it has a porch. They don't make it any more but you may be able to get one second hand or eBay Amazon etc

I also have the Blade and think it’s a great tent. It weighs in around 1.6kg and packs reasonably small.
I also have a 3F Ultralight tent off Aliexpress. 700 grams and packs to almost the same size as my bivvy.
It’s totally dependant on what you need. There is no right answer.

https://m.uk.dhgate.com/product/wholesa ... %7C#pd-024

2 man version here.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-t ... gJngfD_BwE

Interesting design though my preference is for free standing tents these days.

Any theories as to why they discontinued it?
Sweep