Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
sizbut

Re: Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Post by sizbut »

I recently got a new tent and it was correctly listed as "Unisex". Though I think that probably had more to do with the supplier's database needing to list every item as "Male", "Female" or "Unisex".

But I think it may have gone wrong I what I wanted, a 'Vaude Hogan XT', was listed as a "Vaude Adult Unisex Green" which probably doesn't help with sales. Fortunately I recognised from the photos that it was the tent I wanted.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Perhaps a new post on walking attire..
But fear it will be something like tarps vs Tents vs Quilts and Lids for bedtime :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

horizon wrote:I think it's time to call into question the whole issue of warmth in tents. We have sacrificed on the altar of light weight the other positive attributes of a tent such as robustness, warmth and, controversially perhaps, lack of condensation. On one Vango promotional video, the through-flow ventilation features were lauded (less condensation was the claimed benefit) while the porch groundsheet was said to be shaped to prevent draughts. So which is it?

Camping in the UK can be cold, wet and windy. In dry, clear, still weather, when the gales are taking a day off, the night-time temperature plummets (itself a problem) and condensation stalks the land. But the last thing you want is a tent with huge unclosable mesh vents. I'm still convinced that the best tent for UK lightweight camping has a fully enclosed cotton inner with optional vents and a polyester/nylon outer (flysheet). Warmth is an issue. I think that cotton got thrown out as the baby in the bathwater as synthetic materials took over.

Weight and cost favour synthetic (by a long way) but the issues of warmth and condensation point to a need for manufacturers to rethink their designs (and perhaps materials). European tents are already different from US tents in this regard and I think the difference should be further extended to make warmth a criterion for tents sold in the UK.

I don't think you'll get any "warmth" from a cotton inner, indeed it may get colder as cotton soaks up and takes ages to dry so it may acting like the serpentine of a refrigerator?
Wind is something that has to be taken into accounts beforehand: is better to camp at the first spot and fight the wind, or ride another 10 miles to find a more sheltered spot?
My preference for simple designs like pyramid or a-frames lies in the fact that you can easily alter the pitch, high for more ventilation and lower for bad weather, each has its pro's and con's but it takes seconds to change it. And in bad weather I always pack a very light bivy bag for belt&braces approach.

Some US manufacturers do offer the option for mesh of solid inner tent. I have an a-frame tent made in Scotland and I got the inner done with solid DWR fabric, it added less than 100gr to a comparable mesh inner tent :D in the summer I often use the flysheet only (I don't go where midges are known to be in large swarms and often)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote: boots
Ian

Vote for merrell here too. Got mine in the states a few years ago. They’re now discontinued but my general principle is keep using the brand on the basis that they keep making the same foot shape shoes - it’s good to have a reliable starting point when looking that does decent quality and fits. For me merrells work as do asic running and exercise shoes and I also have a very nice pair of ecco walking sandals.

Hubby has those mid shoe/boot style you’ve been experimenting with and he really enjoys them-they get far more use than his full walking boots,