Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Please suggest a good 1-person tent

Post by horizon »

mxg01 wrote:I've used my Vango Banshee 200 for cycle camping.

But, as you say yourself, it's not a one man tent. It seems that we're agreed (almost) that the best one man tent is a two man tent.

I used a Vango Helix 100 on two of my trips this year. 1.5 kg and excellent. But it involves sacrificing head height (I stored the panniers outside). Anything that doesn't is usually in the 2 kg + category. On my last trip, I took a nice big 3.4 kg tent for just myself. Brilliant.

Shame the OP hasn't been back to clarify their requirements.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

pete75 wrote:This https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek-900-1p ... 92462.html . 95 quid. Have had one for a while now - bought because I was fed up with using a bivvy bag. It weighs about 1.5kg and is compact when packed, 40cms long and only 6 litres so fits into a pannier easily, comes with built in footprint and DAC poles and pegs. Sitting headroom and a good sized storage area under the flysheet and protected by the footprint - more than enough for panniers to fit in.
Slow to erect the first time you do it quick after that.

Interesting that they've got the head height (just!) but within 1.5 kg. I think there's a 5 cm difference between yours and my Helix.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Just had a look at that tent.
It's the first time that (I have seen) Decathlon give water-resistance in mm for their tents. At least now their tents are directly comparable to other brands in that measurement.
PH

Post by PH »

The coffin type tents come in for a fair bit of criticism, but if all you want to do is sleep in it then they can be fine as long as you can accept the claustrophobic feeling. I borrowed a Eureka Spitfire for a three day trip earlier in the year and it was fine, went up quick and very staple, I didn't get to test how waterproof is is, but no reason to doubt it. I was thinking of buying one, still might, but most of my camping is slightly more leisurely and a bit more space in my two man tent makes the extra half kilo worth carrying.
Like this one but grey
https://www.eurekaeurope.com/spitfire-solo.html
pete75

Post by pete75 »

HobbesOnTour wrote:

Just had a look at that tent.
It's the first time that (I have seen) Decathlon give water-resistance in mm for their tents. At least now their tents are directly comparable to other brands in that measurement.

The water resistance in mm is just a measure of the fabric. The usual Decathlon method tests how waterproof the whole tent is - as they say "The waterproofing of Forclaz tents is validated by testing that a pitched tent placed under a 200 litre/m²/hr shower (tropical rain) for 4 hours prevents water from passing through the seams, flaps, openings, zips, etc. The water column test (=mm Schmerbers) measures the waterproof rating of the fabric only. "
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think pjclinch suggests somewhere upthread that most tents are fine and that you really don't need an extremely high HH - 5000 is tops and 3000 is more than adequate. In fact it is more likely to affect waterproofing longevity than actual rain water resistance.

On my last trip, I saw two Halfords tents still standing after a night-time's battering by wind and rain. They were brand new but the owners had abandoned them. There was water inside but I'm not sure that was due to the doors being left open. The impression I and another camper got was that it was just poor management and lack of experience rather than the tents themselves, even though they were cheap ones. Another tent had broken poles.

I would say any small tent at about £100 from a reputable manufacturer will do the job - the rest is down to the user.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

PH wrote:The coffin type tents come in for a fair bit of criticism, but if all you want to do is sleep in it then they can be fine as long as you can accept the claustrophobic feeling. I borrowed a Eureka Spitfire for a three day trip earlier in the year and it was fine, went up quick and very staple, I didn't get to test how waterproof is is, but no reason to doubt it. I was thinking of buying one, still might, but most of my camping is slightly more leisurely and a bit more space in my two man tent makes the extra half kilo worth carrying.
Like this one but grey
https://www.eurekaeurope.com/spitfire-solo.html

the missus bought one for a challenge thing the civil service do every year in wales, some singleskin coleman thing at under a kilo for a two man 'shelter' only good for lying down in or reading and a not very stealthy bright green but you can get a full set of cycling kit in it. I'd hate to do more than a weekend with it though.

on this years mid life crisis at the end of the month I'm tarp and bivvying with a hammock thrown in for good measure. just for old times sake.
robing

Post by robing »

I've had a Vango Blade 100 one man tent for 4 years and it's been a great tent for cycle touring. Only 1.5kg. The beauty of this tent is that it has a single pole that runs lengthways so you get decent height, enough to sit up. Plus it has a porch. They don't make it any more but you may be able to get one second hand or eBay Amazon etc
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote:
I would say any small tent at about £100 from a reputable manufacturer will do the job - the rest is down to the user.

Yup.

Most tents will keep standing (and keeping the rain out) if they're well pegged and guyed, and it might well be worth spending some extra to give you a better range of pegs and more user-friendly guyline runners. V or Y-section pegs hold better than skewers where you can get them in, but skewers work better in very stony/hard ground. Don't worry about pegs bending, just bend them back... Sand/snow pegs are bulky and relatively heavy so only take them if you're pretty sure you'll need them. We've certainly been glad to have them on sandy sites in dunes, but knew in advance what we'd be on.
I like ClamCleat Line Loks for guys and replace anything that isn't those with those. They're easier to set, move and hold better than anything else I've come across, well worth the few pounds a bag will cost when you're trying to set guys in wind and rain with numb fingers.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The spitfire is an excellent tent.

Weight
Internal height
Length
Internal capacity
Mine was £75 a few years ago, now they are £100+?

I could get two panniers worth of gear helmet and shoes all round me in the tent because they are long too.......front wheel goes between the skins.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

pjclinch wrote:it might well be worth spending some extra to give you a better range of pegs
I like ClamCleat Line Loks for guys and replace anything that isn't those with those. They're easier to set, move and hold better than anything else I've come across, well worth the few pounds a bag will cost when you're trying to set guys in wind and rain with numb fingers.

It's worth taking a variety of peg types to cope best with different ground at different sites.
The full quota for my tent is 10 pegs, but I take 4 each of Y, V and nail (at least), and use the most appropriate type on the most important peg locations (considering wind direction etc). It also gives a couple of spares, and I can use them, along with some spare guy line, to peg the bike upright.

Agreed on the line-loks.
I got a bag of white/gitd ones so I could replace the black ones at one end of my tent, which meant I could tell which end of the tent was which, and knew whether to unroll upwind or downwind when pitching in stormy weather.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

andrew_s wrote:
pjclinch wrote:it might well be worth spending some extra to give you a better range of pegs

It's worth taking a variety of peg types to cope best with different ground at different sites.
The full quota for my tent is 10 pegs, but I take 4 each of Y, V and nail (at least), and use the most appropriate type on the most important peg locations (considering wind direction etc). It also gives a couple of spares, and I can use them, along with some spare guy line, to peg the bike upright.

Agreed on the line-loks.
I got a bag of white/gitd ones so I could replace the black ones at one end of my tent, which meant I could tell which end of the tent was which, and knew whether to unroll upwind or downwind when pitching in stormy weather.

aye tent pegs are a funny thing last year I spent three days pitched on decking so had to use my twizzle pegs to help keep it upright.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Two worth considering which I own:
Jack Wolfskin Gossamer - around £75 depending on discounts. Strongly built, well made, good for a night's kip and nothing else - but a good performer and able to do a sneaky pitch unobtrusively almost anywhere. Just on the tent side of a bivvy bag.
Wild Country Zephyros 2 - tight for two, spacious for one, nicely made and good value.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

hamster wrote:Two worth considering which I own:
Jack Wolfskin Gossamer - around £75 depending on discounts. Strongly built, well made, good for a night's kip and nothing else - but a good performer and able to do a sneaky pitch unobtrusively almost anywhere. Just on the tent side of a bivvy bag.
Wild Country Zephyros 2 - tight for two, spacious for one, nicely made and good value.

I borrowed one when a quality issue with a vango tent delayed me being able to use it for a trip. So the retailer gave me a gossamer. Inner and outer was very close, no porch at all and no head height.solid tent but not a great night in it and the rucksack had to be left outside too. If I wanted a hooped bivvy I'd consider it but if I wanted a tent I personally thought it didn't make that criteria to be called a tent.

BTW to the op best thing to do is shop around and actually look at tents. As you can tell everyone has an opinion but your own is the only right one.
robing

Post by robing »

These are the best tent pets I have found. Strong,light, cheap and don't bend.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultralight- ... CQQAvD_BwE