The end of "wild" camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
PH

Re: The end of "wild" camping?

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:
I think I'd be a bit wary of many picnic areas. Some I gather have been used for folks dogging without a dog.

Ha, yes care needs to be taken whenever choosing where to camp. Avoiding a dodgy picnic spot is no harder than avoiding a field of cows.

Ta for the reply PH.
Do you have a nose for dodgy picnic sites?
Clues?
Some I think are also used by partying youngsters. I'd much prefer the doggers to those.

Clues - clean, away from the car parking, not to urban, not vandalised. There are some good ones along NCN routes, I've used several of those.
I don't know about having a nose for them but neither have I ever had a problem, if it doesn't look safe I wouldn't stop. I do tend to ride well into the night then get up early and don't hang around, if I wanted something more leisurely I'd find a site. You're at least as likely to be kept awake by partying youngsters on many sites.
meic

Post by meic »

One big advantage we have is getting away from where cars can get to because most of the potential irritants will not go anywhere that they cant get to in their car.

I have on a few occasions shared my spots in France with groups of kids on mopeds.
We have a bit of an introductory chat, they offer me a cigarette ask some questions then we get on with our respective lives until eventually they ride off home.
When I was younger I would have joined in more with them.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This is my local beach-

https://www.devonlive.com/news/parking- ... ng-1944785
"Residents have got so fed up with travellers camping on Paignton Green that they have started parking their own vehicles on the public space in protest at what they claim is council inaction.
Dozens of holiday-makers joined locals by leaving their vehicles on Paignton Green over the Bank Holiday weekend.
They said they were angry that travellers appeared to enjoy a 'free holiday' every year in the seaside town while they were forced to pay a charge for lawful street parking.
And the group of residents have threatened to take matters into their own hands and block travellers in if they don't leave the Green."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
This is my local beach-

https://www.devonlive.com/news/parking- ... ng-1944785
"Residents have got so fed up with travellers camping on Paignton Green that they have started parking their own vehicles on the public space in protest at what they claim is council inaction.
Dozens of holiday-makers joined locals by leaving their vehicles on Paignton Green over the Bank Holiday weekend.
They said they were angry that travellers appeared to enjoy a 'free holiday' every year in the seaside town while they were forced to pay a charge for lawful street parking.
And the group of residents have threatened to take matters into their own hands and block travellers in if they don't leave the Green."

thanks for the info where to camp for free :wink: :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The media say that most travellers are law abiding........................like most dog walkers are responsible etc.
But we know that's an defence against being accused of racial hatred.

Mostly the council have tolerated overnight street parking and many campers can be seen around the area....................I said street..............not greens and school play area's...................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

So are they putting in the same league a big camper with a few people in, that can get noisy and spend some time in the same place; and the cheerful cyclist that would pitch a small tent in the evening, and departing early the following morning without leaving any trace?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I get that some people have this thing about not paying for anything however I fail to see any fun in 'wild' camping as some describe. Why ride into the night and leave at dawn? You could simply ask permission at a farm/pub etc and have a better, less fraught experience.

Yes I know it's not always possible in the middle of the Highlands but in most of the UK you are rarely more than a couple of miles from civilisation.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:I get that some people have this thing about not paying for anything however I fail to see any fun in 'wild' camping as some describe. Why ride into the night and leave at dawn? You could simply ask permission at a farm/pub etc and have a better, less fraught experience.

Speaking for myself, it has nothing to do with cost. I like riding into the night and prefer the peace and quiet of the spots I choose rather than the noise and disturbance of some campsites. That you fail to see any fun in it is good reason for you not to do it, it has no bearing on my fun whatsoever :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

He has a point, it is a very minority pastime.
If it was more popular then it would get noticed and many people would act more to prevent it.
So I hope that nobody is actively promoting it. :)
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Prefer wildcamping when walking in the hills as you have a little more time to wake up and pack up. You can chill longer admiring the views with a coffee looking out of your tarp at Lakeland fells in the early morning. Then you're still several summits into your walk before the day walking hordes start reaching the tops.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

meic wrote:He has a point, it is a very minority pastime.
If it was more popular then it would get noticed and many people would act more to prevent it.
So I hope that nobody is actively promoting it. :)

+1
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote: You could simply ask permission at a farm/pub etc and have a better, less fraught experience.

I fear the days of the famous five are long gone. I reckon trecking up a series of muddy farm tracks to disturb bemused farmers (who do have a private life after their day's toil) would be far more fraught.
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

The idea that by making a law equals something will stop is not a given.
There is a law regarding Advanced Stop Lines but as a CTT freedom of information request found it has never been used.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)
http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/178
A neighbour of mine was burgled and it took the Police more than 24 hours to attend. I can't see them attending let alone chasing after a cyclist who has been asked to move on by someone and has done so.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's not legal to wildcamp in Lakeland hills but enough people do it to know there's not an issue if you're responsible. Even large outdoor organisations take kids out wildcamping on the lakes. There's a popular spot for the outward bounds organisation and it's a midden. Seriously nasty case of used toilet roll pieces to every little nook and cranny. Including where there's little streams that most responsible wildcampers get their water from. That really shocked me. Always look upstream some way from where you intend to get your water from. It's not just dead sheep but faeces and used toilet rolls you're looking to avoid.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's not legal to wildcamp in Lakeland hills but enough people do it to know there's not an issue if you're responsible. Even large outdoor organisations take kids out wildcamping on the lakes. There's a popular spot for the outward bounds organisation and it's a midden. Seriously nasty case of used toilet roll pieces to every little nook and cranny. Including where there's little streams that most responsible wildcampers get their water from. That really shocked me. Always look upstream some way from where you intend to get your water from. It's not just dead sheep but faeces and used toilet rolls you're looking to avoid.

Yes people can be shocking. How folk can feel they are having a wonderful experience at one with nature and then trash it shocks me. Many London parks at the end of a summer's weekend are awash with junk left by partying folk. Moistly young I fear. London Fields, hipster central, has a particular problem.
Sweep