Camping mat recommendations

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Camping mat recommendations

Post by robing »

I'm not having much luck with camping mats. After a couple of cheaper ones I splashed out on a Thermarest Evolite but it's already starting to delaminate. How do I go about claiming on the Thermarest lifetime guarantee?
All the mats I've had so far have been self inflating, but always seem to need some puff. Maybe one with a pump would be better?
willem jongman

Re: Camping mat recommendations

Post by willem jongman »

Thermarest are good for warrantees. One cause of delamination (not necessarily in your case) is leaving the mattress in the tent on a warm day. Always open the valve in that situation.
Last edited by willem jongman on 18 Sep 2018, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks Mercalia for the link :D
I always undo the valve Willem and it happened recently when it was not hot.
It was caused by me overinflating it. I find the self inflation is never enough.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

All the lightweight Thermarest mats I've had have failed. That's s light self inflator (Pro I think), Evolite and Neoair Trekker. I bought the Trekker because I thought it might be more robust. As a side sleeper I probably tend to over inflate them. The Trekker is still usable but I have bought a Sea to Summit mat to try out because they claim to use superior bonding methods. They have all failed mid tour, so with the exception of the Trekker were binned straight away, so I have never claimed against their warranty. I almost wish I had kept my basic self inflator 15 years ago, comparatively bulky though it was.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

We are, of course, dealing with anecdata here... I always blow extra air into my self inflators and have never had any problems with delamination on a standard long (predecessor of the Trail Lite, bought '91) and an ultralite long (predecessor of the Prolite, bought ~ 2001). My NeoAir (one of the originals) has never had any problems either. I know a lot of people with T-Rest mats and have never encountered any vibe of poor reliability.

I have dealt with Cascade about delaminations for a couple of Platypus water bladders, and they were very good about them. Straight replacement with no trouble.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

This year we had a case of an Exped Downmat delaminating and shortly afterwards a Synmat UL, plus a few years ago an Exped Downmat spewing down. Talking to a big outdoor shop in town they told me they have had quite a few issues with Exped mattrasses (and a restrictive warranty policy on the part of Exped). They told me they have had far fewer problems with Thermarest Neoairs failing.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you want a heavy duty Thermarest mat I can recommend the Mondo King at 2kg and about 5" thick. I know its good as I have a guest I have been putting up has been sleeping on it for the last 5 months and thinks it wonderful. Thats 140 nights or so and is in fine condition.
robing

Post by robing »

I have had a response from Thermarest in Ireland - they will replace it :) but I have to post the old one back to them.
robing

Post by robing »

New Thermarest mat arrived :D
Think I'll avoid overinflating it as I think that's what caused it to fail.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:if you want a heavy duty Thermarest mat I can recommend the Mondo King at 2kg and about 5" thick. I know its good as I have a guest I have been putting up has been sleeping on it for the last 5 months and thinks it wonderful. Thats 140 nights or so and is in fine condition.

I know you are a fan of that beast mercalia, and I am no weight weenie, but that is surely not practical for any length of tour?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:if you want a heavy duty Thermarest mat I can recommend the Mondo King at 2kg and about 5" thick. I know its good as I have a guest I have been putting up has been sleeping on it for the last 5 months and thinks it wonderful. Thats 140 nights or so and is in fine condition.

I know you are a fan of that beast mercalia, and I am no weight weenie, but that is surely not practical for any length of tour?

well its the bulk rather than weight thats the poblem. But what is a warm, good nights sleep worth? Unfortunatley they have updated it a few months ago so that the side walls are vertical so more welded bits and a bit heavier. Luckily I bought a another one last year. I dont really go on long tours, just a few days and this last summer on my motor bike ( so not a problem ) any way whats 2kg more when you weigh 16 stone and dont cycle fast any way?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've got an Alpkit Dumo. Went for it because it looked to be the best combination of price, depth (10cm) and weight (850g) and has the pump built in. I've used it for a week and it was the most comforatble week camping I've had.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:I've got an Alpkit Dumo. Went for it because it looked to be the best combination of price, depth (10cm) and weight (850g) and has the pump built in. I've used it for a week and it was the most comforatble week camping I've had.

That does sound impressive honesty but must admit to a certain wariness of anything with stuff "built in".
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I had 14 comfy nights on Klymit Static V2 Ultralight Sleeping Pad/Camping Mat this year. Packs easily away into small bag.instructions say 15-20 blows....more like 25 of mine :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info