Camping mat recommendations

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
honesty

Re: Camping mat recommendations

Post by honesty »

Sweep wrote:
honesty wrote:I've got an Alpkit Dumo. Went for it because it looked to be the best combination of price, depth (10cm) and weight (850g) and has the pump built in. I've used it for a week and it was the most comforatble week camping I've had.

That does sound impressive honesty but must admit to a certain wariness of anything with stuff "built in".

The pump is impressively low tech. Seems to be a chamber with a block of foam in it and an air valve you cover with your hand to direct the flow.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply.

Low tech is good :)

Would be interested in any longer term reviews you have.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

I don’t camp often enough to get long term reviews :). I’ve used it for about 7 night split over 3 occasions and it’s the comfiest I’ve ever been in a tent. My daughter fell asleep on it in minutes and I had to shift her on to hers when she was asleep. She complained a lot in the morning. I’ve seen some people say it’s too narrow but it seems on par with other mats just a lot thicker. I found not blowing it up fully was best.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:I don’t camp often enough to get long term reviews :). I’ve used it for about 7 night split over 3 occasions and it’s the comfiest I’ve ever been in a tent. My daughter fell asleep on it in minutes and I had to shift her on to hers when she was asleep. She complained a lot in the morning. I’ve seen some people say it’s too narrow but it seems on par with other mats just a lot thicker. I found not blowing it up fully was best.

Yes i considered it in the past but passed on it because of the comments on it being too narrow. Will remeasure and reconsider. In the absence of a long term test do you have the feeling that it is tough/rugged?
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

It’s 60cm wide so no narrower than other mats so I was bemused by peoples comments on the width.

The material feels thick and durable and the construction seems good. It also comes with a puncture repair kit as well.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It is large, both to sleep on (i.e. longer, wider and thicker than the standard mat) and also larger to pack than many others. The inbuilt pump seems to be a copy of the inbuilt pump in some Exped models. It is important to note that it does not have any internal insulation, so it is strictly a summer mat for warmer climates. And for an uninsulated mat it is by no means light.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yes the equivalent Exped is about 500g I think, but is slightly thinner (9cm I think) and 3 times the price.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The crucial difference is the R value.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

honesty wrote:It’s 60cm wide so no narrower than other mats so I was bemused by peoples comments on the width.

The material feels thick and durable and the construction seems good. It also comes with a puncture repair kit as well.

Std width single mattress is generally 51cm. This is to accommodate two side by side in a 2 person tent. If wider you generally won't get them in side by side.

If you blow into a self inflating mattress you introduce your damp breath into the mat which can cause mould or fungus to develop over time. It might contribute to delimitation. Also it is not very nice if different people inflate the mat. I always use a pump. If Thermarest their own pump sac. As has been said up thread the main cause of delimitation is leaving a mattress inflated in a hot tent or vehicle and the air inside then expands, the glue/welds can soften and then it starts to delaminate. Thermarest has each mat inflated for 36 hours before it packages them for dispatch. Well that's what the Cascade rep told me. They charge £15 if a leak is found to be a puncture. On the whole they are very good with warranty issues.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Std width single mattress is generally 51cm. This is to accommodate two side by side in a 2 person tent. If wider you generally won't get them in side by side.

For Some Values Of "2 person tent". This does seem to vary from about a meter to about 140 cm.

Ivor Tingting wrote:If you blow into a self inflating mattress you introduce your damp breath into the mat which can cause mould or fungus to develop over time. It might contribute to delimitation.

A very small amount of damp on a synthetic foam out of the light shouldn't create any problems. If it did my oldest T-Rest (of 1991 vintage), which I always top up as I like a firm mat and by blowing straight in as I don't have a pump, would be mushroom city by now, but there's no indication that anything likes to live in there. No sign of it delaminating either. I've been hearing about the perils of blowing damp air on and off for years but I've never actually come across anyone who has seen it generate problems, so I've come to the conclusion it's just one of those worries that gets passed on without having any real basis.

Ivor Tingting wrote:Also it is not very nice if different people inflate the mat. I always use a pump.

Another thing I've never come across, until today, is anyone who had a problem occasionally sharing a valve on a mat. In terms of hygiene issues I'd say we're a long way off the perils of, say. sharing food or drink. Since when I got my first T-rest they didn't do pumps I didn't get one, and now they do do pumps I figure that after 27 years without I can manage without something extra to buy and carry,

I'd want to use a pump with a down filled mat, but for a self inflater I really don't see any point.

Ivor Tingting wrote:As has been said up thread the main cause of delimitation is leaving a mattress inflated in a hot tent or vehicle and the air inside then expands, the glue/welds can soften and then it starts to delaminate. Thermarest has each mat inflated for 36 hours before it packages them for dispatch. Well that's what the Cascade rep told me. They charge £15 if a leak is found to be a puncture. On the whole they are very good with warranty issues.

I've never had a warranty issue with either of my T-a-R self inflaters or a NeoAir, but I've been impressed with fault resolution from sister company Platypus when water bladders started delaminating. Replaced free of charge with no fuss.
Storing self inflaters, whether long term or between uses in the field, undo the valve but don't compress them. That way the foam is used to being "up" so will spring back to life better than if it's usually compressed.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...