Dyeing a dark grey inner to be lighter.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
SA_SA_SA

Dyeing a dark grey inner to be lighter.

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have a Red single hoop Berghaus tent which I like but it has a dark grey inner which I find 'slightly oppressive':
is there a way I could dye (spray?) it to be lighter without affecting breathability?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Re: Dyeing a dark grey inner to be lighter.

Post by horizon »

I was just looking at the Berghauses (or should that be Berghaeuser?) today. I like the red outer tent but was very surprised at the grey inner. My guess is that the red is too see-through so you need a darker colour on the inner.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You can't 'dye' it lighter, you will have to bleach it to remove colour. If you can find one try your local haberdashers for advice on what to use.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

horizon wrote:I was just looking at the Berghauses (or should that be Berghaeuser?) today. I like the red outer tent but was very surprised at the grey inner. My guess is that the red is too see-through so you need a darker colour on the inner.

I like the tent (though I pitch the inner so as to use only 50% of outer's footprint area rather than the designed approx 75% in order to gain reasonable bell space) and the curves seem to require more tension to get a taut pitch than a ridge tent (I saw a few non-taut peak 3.1s flapping at York). Terra nova seem happy to use yellow inners with red tents.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I have a Red single hoop Berghaus tent which I like but it has a dark grey inner which I find 'slightly oppressive':
is there a way I could dye (spray?) it to be lighter without affecting breathability?

Modern tents are made with Nylon or Polyester, they cannot be "dyed" or "bleached" unless you want to damage the fabric. I would certainly avoid!
Also, the inner tent fabrics are most often a thin Denier, usually 30D or less, so they can be fairly transparent to the light and not giving a claustrophobic feeling.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...