Have you used a down quilt instead of a bag?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
1982john

Re: Have you used a down quilt instead of a bag?

Post by 1982john »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
How do you tuck your feet in with a quilt?
Drafts not just external but when you move.
Are you telling me that a quilt of same weight of a bag with differential cut and fill and body shaped will be warmer?

This is just a personal taste thing with a dislike to bags and I get it yes.

I havn't got one yet but from what I've seen many come with something called a footbox where the bottom section is either sewn or has a zip to keep your feet warm.

The theory behind quilts is that the down you sleep on top of in a traditional sleeping bag serves no purpose as when it's squashed you're getting that benefit from high quality down. But you have to have a pad without one I don't think they would work.

Most of the reviews I've read from people that have had them for a while are pleased with it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Thermarest quilts have a footbox into which you tuck the end of your mat. Your feet do not stick out unless you choose to do so.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Are you telling me that a quilt of same weight of a bag with differential cut and fill and body shaped will be warmer?

you could also get some slipper socks?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think you're looking at flat, rectangular quilts. Whilst they're available the good backpacking quilts have a means to create a footbox that is just like the sleeping bag.

As for drafts? Well think of a good quilt as a sleeping bag attached to your quality camping mat. Effectively a sealed sleeping bag with your mat. No gaps in practice unless you want one to cool down. BTW I've been sub zero and needed a gap to cool down, before in my quilt.

I've got a good sleeping bag from Marmot and a good quilt from the now defunct golite. Both rated to below zero. Only the quilt will I use in anything close to zero. It's just the warmest option I have. It is top quality down (for its day), box construction, good fabrics and the design features just work well. Plus it's an xl size which is very important for a 6'5" tall, average (for height) male. It's more than long enough but a little too big in the girth (American brand, xl means fat too).

If I chose to I can lie on the edges if the quilt with the straps tightened completely. I don't because there is really no need to have down under you the imagined gaps don't occur in use without you wanting them or misusing the product.

You can get sleeping bags as light as my quilt with similar warmth rating now. Back then you could not. 900/950 fill power was the best you could get. Now a good bag can be sub zero rated and below 600 to 700g. An equivalent quilt I think is now below this.

Now, my sleeping choices are summer sleeping bag and winter, early spring and late autumn quilt. Although xl sleeping bag with quilt over or inside it is rare toasty if it gets cold.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

1982john wrote:...

The theory behind quilts is that the down you sleep on top of in a traditional sleeping bag serves no purpose as when it's squashed you're getting that benefit from high quality down. But you have to have a pad without one I don't think they would work...

Perhaps this is put in a better way than what I said :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Drafts not just external but when you move....

I think you should gather information before having a negative view about? :)
We're not talking of a plain rectangular quilt like ones used in the house bed. A modern Camping quilt has a cinch cord plus often some snap buttons that will form a "footbox".
No drafts at all, move as much as you want :D

So, while the footbox becomes similar to the one of a conventional sleeping bag, the other part of a camping quilt is open and will often have a pair of elastic straps that will pass under the sleeping pad, so the quilt won't shift around and leave open gaps
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
1982john

Post by 1982john »

1982john wrote:

I haven't got one yet but from what I've seen many come with something called a footbox where the bottom section is either sewn or has a zip to keep your feet warm.

The theory behind quilts is that the down you sleep on top of in a traditional sleeping bag serves no purpose as when it's squashed you're not getting that benefit from high quality down insulation. But you have to have a pad, without one I don't think they would work.

Most of the reviews I've read from people that have had them for a while are pleased with it.
PH

Post by PH »

No, I believe a close fitting bag will be warmer and any weight advantage of a quilt will be lost in needing a better insulated mat. I've often read that the insulation on the underside of a bag loses any usefulness due to compression, yet it still fills the hollows your body creates whatever position you sleep in.
If warmth was the only factor that contributed to me getting a good nights sleep, then a bag it would have to be. I choose a quilt because I prefer it, I find it easier to regulate temperature* and more comfortable for the way I sleep. These things are immeasurable and personal, if someone is happy sleeping in a bag, I see no argument to change it. However, for anyone not getting a good nights sleep, why wouldn't they look at the reasons why and see if they could be changed, a quilt may be the answer.

* People I know who do a similar amount of camping to me in similar conditions, tend to have several bags and choose the one appropriate for the conditions. I've never felt the need for more than the one quilt, though I now have a choice of two mats, an uninsulated one for very warm weather and an insulated one used most of the time.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Are you telling me that a quilt of same weight of a bag with differential cut and fill and body shaped will be warmer?

I don't think anyone's saying that, but the thing is it's not a zero-sum game of insulation efficiency. Especially when you're getting towards the warmer end of camping , which sometimes involves nights when a plain sheet is plenty of insulation, flexibility may well be more important than raw R-value over the course of several days

Pete..
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well I'm saying my quilt is warmer than my sleeping bag. They are supposedly a similar comfort rating. However one is a £180 fusion bag containing primaloft and down insulation bought for £120. The quilt was a £280 very high fill power down quilt bought for £100.the extra £100 full price value moved out to fully down filled and from 750 to 900 fill power down. In the process halving the weight and the quilt is box wall.

I use the same summat UL mat whichever I use. It's rated to use that's well below the quilt. That combo is warm. I'd probably get away with a winter camp using that combination. Possibly under a tarp and using a light bivvy too.

All my bags are xl but at 690g or 1250g, makes the quilt is a serious option.

You should try it if you get the chance.