Camping lantern strobe problem

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mjr

Camping lantern strobe problem

Post by mjr »

I've an LED camping lantern that takes 3 AA batteries and I think it's about 18 months old. It has three settings: high, low and flash. The high setting has started to strobe annoyingly within a minute of being switched on, slowly at first and then faster and faster.

Has anyone suggestions of what might cause that and what to look for and maybe how to fix it, please?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Re: Camping lantern strobe problem

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:I've an LED camping lantern that takes 3 AA batteries and I think it's about 18 months old. It has three settings: high, low and flash. The high setting has started to strobe annoyingly within a minute of being switched on, slowly at first and then faster and faster.

Has anyone suggestions of what might cause that and what to look for and maybe how to fix it, please?

The cause - it's broken

The fix - get a new one :D (preferably free from the vendor/manufacturer)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Daft question, but are the batteries running down? I only suggest it as I have two lanterns (different makes/sizes) which when turned off still have a tiny but immensley irritating green flashing light near the button - presumably so the hard of understanding can find it in the dark having forgotten where they left it :? When Im not using the lanterns I remove a battery do stop them draining which they must do over time.
Just a thought :wink:

Steve
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In my very amateurish layman's sort of way, I wonder if you are using rechargeable batteries. If so, I think this might be a combination of a couple of things. First, not all LED's are dimmable so they may play up if the current is inadequate. AFAIK, not all rechargeable batteries are rated at 1.5 volts anyway. Then some rechargeable batteries don't seem to discharge gradually but rather the power falls away very quickly. However, if they are turned off they briefly recover some charge before they quickly fall away again but this effect can be repeated.

I wonder if it's possible that yours are in some sort of discharge/recover cycle with rechargeable batteries.

Also, it seems many types of LED bulb have a greater or lesser tendency to have a bit of strobing that not everybody can see, but that seems to be caused by alternating current rather than the DC from batteries.
=========================================================
PS the more cells you have in series, the greater the effect of any reduction in power. Three dry cells at top notch produce 4.5 volts. Three rechargeables at say 1.2 volts produce 3.6 in total, which is a more significant difference.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Whereas mine was that the lantern was dying. Replacing with new batteries or even alkalines didn't cure it, while its eneloops are now powering a new lantern fine.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I recall buying early cheap led G10 lamps, which took to pulsing - I wouldn't go so far as to describe the issue as strobe-like... perhaps it's a feature of the voltage control & pops up in faulty units. My advice: replace.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)