Gas stove or petrol?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
st599_uk

Buying and Carrying Meths/Alcohol for stoves

Post by st599_uk »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any information on what to ask for in various countries for Alcohol stove fuel?

I'm assuming it can't be carried on Eurostar/Flights, so am hopeful I can buy some once on the continent.

Can anyone recommend a bottle to carry it in too? Presumably metal is a good idea, would prefer it to be obviously a fuel bottle.

Simon
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Re: Buying and Carrying Meths/Alcohol for stoves

Post by Jdsk »

I use a SIGG fuel bottle and its dedicated bike cage.

Previous discussions on availability and naming, including a link to the big table:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=126962&p=1561869&hilit=alcohol+available+countries#p1561869

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 11 Jan 2021, 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:I use a Sigg fuel bottle and its dedicated bike cage.

Previous discussions on availability and naming, including a link to the big table:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=126962&p=1561869&hilit=alcohol+available+countries#p1561869

Jonathan

I remember the Sigg fuel bottles from years ago but their web site no longer lists such products and no dedicated bike cage. Old discontinued or available but not from Sigg?

Ian
Jdsk

Re: Gas stove or petrol?

Post by Jdsk »

Has the SIGG fuel bottle been discontinued? Any recommended alternatives, and suitable cages, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
hamster

Post by hamster »

MSR do fuel bottles just like the Siggs of old.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

st599_uk wrote:Just wondering if anyone has any information on what to ask for in various countries for Alcohol stove fuel?

In France it's called 'alcool a bruler' (alcohol for burning). Works like meths, but looks and smells like (very) cheap brandy!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Many thanks.

One final question - the MSR bottles come in 3 different sizes.

Presumably Meths comes in 750ml or 1l bottles in shops? so would people recommend the largest bottle? Don't want to get to Germany say, then have to find a way of disposing of 1/2 of what I've just bought.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nsew

Post by nsew »

st599_uk wrote:Many thanks.

One final question - the MSR bottles come in 3 different sizes.

Presumably Meths comes in 750ml or 1l bottles in shops? so would people recommend the largest bottle? Don't want to get to Germany say, then have to find a way of disposing of 1/2 of what I've just bought.

That happens unless you’re able to transport 1L or locate 500ml typically from a hardware store. I’ve never found 750ml. Trangia fuel containers are top quality and relatively light being made from a plastic. The 500ml Trangia is loose in a bottle cage, the 1000ml won’t fit. I use the 500ml Trangia which fits perfectly in a Shimano Pro tool bottle with the top removed. https://www.freewheel.co.uk/pro-storage ... 184=232286 I tip the remainder as it’s so cheap (2 - 2.50e) but it would definitely be worth trying to finding a larger fuel bottle with a max diameter of 7cm. The MSR 600ml fuel bottle is probably a few mm too large in diameter for a bottle cage. If you can find a way to transport 1000ml then that would be optimum as its by far the most common size. I looked at these but never got around to pulling the trigger https://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/shop.asp
Attachments
F76AABE1-2508-4341-9A15-313D4BF41B2E.jpeg
Last edited by nsew on 11 Jan 2021, 4:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote:....

It's probably worse as you would want a new bottle before your MSR runs empty. So e.g. 500ml you'd be buying a replacement 500ml before your MSR 500ml has enough space to take all you've purchased!.

I've used gas and in Germany I ended-up having to buy a 4 pack of bottles and I only really had room for 2 so I left the other 2 with the campsite operator/reception saying to give them to another cyclist who wants them.

Ian
nsew

Post by nsew »

I wish I had a dollar for every time i’ve heard a fellow traveller saying they need to find a gas canister. And a further dollar for every time they’ve complained about how long they last.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've certainly bought 250ml of meths in the UK.

Not sure why a metal bottle is intrinsically better than a plastic one for meths -- except it's less likely to split, of course. But is there another reason?

Bike Buddy: Never had one, but have used a similar item from Topeak, which rattled horribly all the time. A better alternative (than the Topeak) is the Monkii cage: https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/bromp ... _yJ4tcYDIV I can confirm this holds items of various shapes and sizes very solidly, is easy to attach and remove, and does not rattle. The BikeBuddy doesn't look as if it will hold non-cylindrical items particularly securely, but it is a little cheaper.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nsew wrote:I wish I had a dollar for every time i’ve heard a fellow traveller saying they need to find a gas canister. And a further dollar for every time they’ve complained about how long they last.

I would agree - and I use gass and chasing down bottles (even in France) can be a pain. I carry adapters for the different bottles (screw burner, bayonet for France and another for aerosol style bottles).

Next trip I hope to buy a multi-fuel so gas can tide me over between liquid fuel top-ups. (But I'm open to other suggestions)

Ian
nsew

Re: Gas stove or petrol?

Post by nsew »

Jdsk wrote:Has the SIGG fuel bottle been discontinued? Any recommended alternatives, and suitable cages, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

The Trangia bottles have a safe and accurate fuel delivery, mine has 10 years of hard use. I don’t like open top fuel bottles as it’s tricky to control the flow. Trangia come in 300, 500 & 1000ml. Sort of weekend, week, fortnight sizes dependent on use obviously. Cages are trickier, these will carry the 1000ml https://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/index.asp and https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/bromp ... _ysGC3fWhA Neither of which I have experience of but come recommended. The 500ml is loose in a regular bottle cage but can be fitted in a suitable tool bottle minus the cap.