Gas stove or petrol?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Re: Gas stove or petrol?

Postby Psamathe » 29 Mar 2019, 12:17pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:I don't like petrol as a camping fuel.
But it's ready availability is a plus.

Might sound a daft question but where can you buy it in the quantities appropriate for cycle camping? (i.e. garage petrol pumps deliver large quantities through a large diam pipe with minimum delivery volumes ...)

Ian

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 29 Mar 2019, 1:26pm

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Mar 2019, 9:39pm

another anecdote alert; many years ago I had a motorcycle with a tiny tiny fuel tank, which was a problem, because at that time filling stations which were open after 9pm were as rare as rocking horse poop. Thus if was going places in the evening, I had to be sure to top the tank up, or risk running out of fuel later on. Most filling stations had signs up saying "1/2 gallon minimum delivery" etc but I found that when I explained that I needed about two pints, and no, I couldn't have more, because it wouldn't fit, they invariably relented.

More recently, I've used a SIGG bottle for stove fuel and had the same conversations in filling stations with (mostly) the same results.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pastychomper

Postby Pastychomper » 3 Apr 2019, 4:06pm

Sweep wrote:...

I used to be in a troop that had an explosives experimenter, though he didn't use gas cannisters.

Another anecdote warning:

I was never a Scout, but once spent a memorable night on an island run by sea scouts. It was the sensible, ex-RN person in charge who threw two gas canisters onto the fire at the end of the evening. He did get us kids to stand a safe distance away - though I'm not sure how safe, at least one of the cans landed in the trees behind us. :lol: Come to think of it, I never found out why our group didn't go back there.

I gather the valved gas cans are much less interesting, since the valves are designed to vent excess pressure so they just release a jet of flame every few seconds until the gas runs out.

No, I haven't tried. Yet. :twisted:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

nez

Postby nez » 3 Apr 2019, 10:54pm

Brucey wrote:another anecdote alert; many years ago I had a motorcycle with a tiny tiny fuel tank, which was a problem, because at that time filling stations which were open after 9pm were as rare as rocking horse poop. Thus if was going places in the evening, I had to be sure to top the tank up, or risk running out of fuel later on. Most filling stations had signs up saying "1/2 gallon minimum delivery" etc but I found that when I explained that I needed about two pints, and no, I couldn't have more, because it wouldn't fit, they invariably relented.

More recently, I've used a SIGG bottle for stove fuel and had the same conversations in filling stations with (mostly) the same results.

cheers

It's weird this with rules about petrol purchase. I buy it for my boat and of course every filling station has a sign refusing to sell more than 5 litres to someone with a can. There are two answers - fill the 22L can at the back of the car and claim not to have seen the sign or keep buying 5 litres and decanting them into the 22 litre.