Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Graham O

Re: Anyone dabbled in MYOG?

Post by Graham O »

Angstrom wrote:Yes, I'd like to sew some classic design paniers out of cotton duck cloth.
Where could I buy it?

Thank you?

That and waxed cotton are two of the outdoor fabrics I've steered clear of, but I think that British Millerain in Rochdale are the manufacturers, but whether you can buy it in small quantities from one of their agents, I don't know. Quantity is likely to be the problem. Ask Carradice if they will sell you a metre or 2?
Gattonero

Re: Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Post by Gattonero »

You can get 16oz duck cotton from ProFabrics, they have some other nice stuff and sometimes bags of remnants that are very useful for prototypes and mending other stuff (i.e. fixing work trousers)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

This is very similar to what is used on my Carradice, in fact I've repaired a hole in one of them and looked pretty much the same

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/c ... 9883909571
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

What an interesting thread. I had previously been unaware of this sub forum.

I have an interest in light weight backpacking. Making your own gear is very popular there as was said before. More equipment than clothes though in my experience.

I have made a number of pieces of equipment that have also proved useful for cycle touring as my camping habits are pretty much the same either hiking or riding. Though it is nice to not have to concern myself so much about weight when using my bike.

These included a couple of tarps, not as impressive as the tent shown earlier, great work!. A net tent for the tarps. Numerous waterproof bags for gear. A double quilt and an insulated hat.

When I started I really didn't know one end of a sewing machine from the other and don't believe I would have even attempted it had it not been for the Jardines and not being able to buy what I wanted to use. Ray Jardine has a very interesting web site and sells kits with high quality materials and excellent instructions.

Most importantly to me and the vast majority of my projects is that it has given me the confidence to adapt and repair existing items. There is also a special feeling I find between you and something you have made yourself. It is joyful using these items adding to the enjoyment of your chosen hobby/interests.

Ed
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Unfortunately, we live in a time where the low price seems to be the paramount for everything.
I think that by making the gear yourself, it's hard or impossible to compete with the crazy low prices of some big retailers; but for other things (namely "better quality" ones) the price can be the same if not lower. Let alone the accomplishment of achieving something that can indeed work well, if not better than a poor designed mass-manufactured one.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

Making your own gear is both time consuming and expensive. The majority of cheap consumer goods are now made in China, so one way to obtain cheap materials for your project is to purchase directly from China (eg alibaba). Some prices are astounding eg ten PCBs for $2.00
I only decide to make something if:

a) What I want is not commercially available;
    b) I think I can do better than the next best equivalent that is available;
    c) I can justify the time required
It is very satisfying to make something which is then utterly unique and better than anything similar
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've made a number of custom sized stuffsacks (e.g. for under the saddle spare tube or to fit waterproof jacket in a bottle cage), plus a few modifications (e.g. lengthen sleeves on an expensive jacket, add a zip to a sleeping bag liner), and numerous minor repairs.

I don't like waste plus I find it satisfying to do stuff myself, so its an all round win for me!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Nope. Waste of time. There are now quite a few brands who offer quality cycling accessories and gear at reasonable prices. I would rather be out riding my bike.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Ivor Tingting wrote:Nope. Waste of time. There are now quite a few brands who offer quality cycling accessories and gear at reasonable prices. I would rather be out riding my bike.

Then you may as well ride a motorbike, or take a train? :wink:
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

robc02 wrote:I've made a number of custom sized stuffsacks (e.g. for under the saddle spare tube or to fit waterproof jacket in a bottle cage), plus a few modifications (e.g. lengthen sleeves on an expensive jacket, add a zip to a sleeping bag liner), and numerous minor repairs.

I don't like waste plus I find it satisfying to do stuff myself, so its an all round win for me!

Indeed it is, especially when you can upcycle some materials: i.e. I've made small stuffsacks from old rain jackets that were beyond repair, the stiffener flap made out of an old orange-juice bottle. Surely I could have got one for £2 from Sports Direct, but I'd rather not give more money to mr. Ashley :wink:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Scunnered wrote:
1982john wrote:What was the purpose of doing a stove? that would never occur to me?

I wanted a combination of features not available on a comercial stove. And I like a challenge :D
The unique feature not obvious from the photo is that it can be connected to either screw threaded canisters or CampinGaz canisters (no additional adaptor required).

Current project: lightweight solar power bank. I must have a chronic "condition" :D

This is so impressive. A skill I wish I had.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Thinking about it I've done a quite a bit more than mentioned above, including covers for sailing dinghys, spar bags for same and a bag tailor made to carry and protect the rudder, centreboard etc. for a Laser dinghy. None of these were available off the shelf in the sizes and/or quality that I wanted.

I got my materials from Pennine Outdoor.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

MrsHJ wrote:This is so impressive. A skill I wish I had.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I bet there is something you could make. Make it, you will learn something in the process. Then try something a little more challenging. Your skills will improve. Repeat.

A little motto of mine: "The only barrier to achieving the impossible is the fear of failure"