Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
1982john

Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Post by 1982john »

This winter I was looking to replace a lot of ageing gear while at the same time trying to cut some weight down from the equipment. However, I found that the light stuff is really expensive (I guess it shouldn't be that shocking). I wanted to get something a bit more personalised as off the shelf often does not me. While there was a good cottage industry in the US there was little around here in the UK.

So after some research and a lot of time on Reddit I decided to have crack at making some of my own stuff over the holidays. I've only made thing so far - a vest linked below - but I'm happy with how it came out. Materials cost I think was £20 vs about £100 for item here in the UK (one that uses similar material).

I've used 0.66oz taffita inner layer and 1.1oz ripstop nylon outer. The insulation is 2.5oz apex and a short YKK zip to finish.
I'm really happy with how it's come out but I could've left a little more neck room. May or may not add a collar.
Came out at 134g / 4.7oz (for a size small equiv)

https://imgur.com/a/GQB8sMs
Graham O

Re: Anyone dabbled in MYOG?

Post by Graham O »

For a first attempt, it looks promising. The trick now is to work out where the problems are and try to cure them for the Mk II, III and so on; design is a never ending process. Your pattern is a basic Tee shape, hence the horizontal shoulders. If you angle the shoulder seams downwards, you'll get a more natural shape.

Be careful with MYOG, I started to make my own 26 years ago and now my company exports all around the world.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

It appears there is not much interest in this. I do wonder why it's not more popular with cycle tourists given how popular it is with backpackers. Maybe it's that they are more constrained on weight/bulk.

Anyway, I made a quilt to go with the top.

https://imgur.com/a/ZJPaqAB

Used .66oz membrane inside with 1.1oz ripstop outside. A combination of 2.5oz apex over legs and then 5oz over the body area. Maybe a little heavier than I'd liked but it should be good for down to about 8 degrees.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think it's less to do with lack of interest and more to do with confidence and skills. EG access to a sewing machine of suitable quality. It can work out quite expensive too, you don't have the economies of scale when buying materials - why make your own when you can buy excellent stuff cheaper?

I did dabble many years ago with making winter mitts - turned out pretty good but sewing by hand was a real pain. That said I can buy better in Decathlon for half the price and no effort.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I too was a bit surprised that there was so little interest in MYOG, but, at the risk of being contentious, it could be something I have seen in many sporting sectors. Cycling is all about the bike and there are many people out there who will spend large amounts of money on the latest bike, but when it comes to their own clothing or other equipment, they won't spend the money. Spend an extra £2K on the bike and you get something which is lighter and "so much faster", but will anything they make, or clothing they wear, increase their speed? Generally clothing isn't going to have too much of an effect on speed and price is very important, hence the prevalence of bargain bins in LBSs. I needed a new waterproof at short notice and didn't have time to make one, so got a cheap one and generally it's okay. It's not as good as the high spec one it replaced, but it isn't 5 times worse as the price could suggest. It's not a patch on the Ventile or pump liner jackets I now have, but it's high vis, it's waterproof and breathable enough.
For me the big advantage of MYOG is that for those of us who want something different, we can have just what we want or we can have a jacket, quilt, tent or some other item for every season and weather condition.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Show and tell: I made myself a double ventile sun hat to keep the sun off and the sweat in...
Hat.jpg

...and a lightweight handlebar bag /box - why are bought ones always so heavy? It's also double ventile but as there's no through stitching it's waterproof.
box.jpg

Given how long it took, there won't be any Mark II versions, but I love the hat and the bag works well even if it looks quite boxy.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Quite a lot of MYOG folk over on the Bearbones Bikepacking forum, more equipment than clothes though.
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... m.php?f=13
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:I think it's less to do with lack of interest and more to do with confidence and skills. EG access to a sewing machine of suitable quality. It can work out quite expensive too, you don't have the economies of scale when buying materials - why make your own when you can buy excellent stuff cheaper?

This is about the size of it. It made a lot more sense in, say, 1985 when a basic fleece was £30 (over £60 in today's value) but now I can get a very decent fleece for a tenner that would be better than one I could make.

My wife has a decent sewing machine and the chops to use it... last week she broke a zip on her winter coat, and reckoned it made more sense to have a local tailor do it (£18) than source a new zip the right size, unpick the old one and sew in the new one. She's got other things she wants to use the time for.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
freiston

Post by freiston »

pjclinch wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I think it's less to do with lack of interest and more to do with confidence and skills. EG access to a sewing machine of suitable quality. It can work out quite expensive too, you don't have the economies of scale when buying materials - why make your own when you can buy excellent stuff cheaper?

This is about the size of it. It made a lot more sense in, say, 1985 when a basic fleece was £30 (over £60 in today's value) but now I can get a very decent fleece for a tenner that would be better than one I could make.

My wife has a decent sewing machine and the chops to use it... last week she broke a zip on her winter coat, and reckoned it made more sense to have a local tailor do it (£18) than source a new zip the right size, unpick the old one and sew in the new one. She's got other things she wants to use the time for.

Pete.

I agree with this. When I was younger, I knew people who had the skills and equipment that I lack that would help me out; they had the time too. Nowadays I don't know anyone that could help me out (certainly not without making unreasonable impositions) and my own lack of abilities would make most efforts not worth the bother. There are some things that I will have a go at (like fashioning a rear light bracket) but mostly, I find myself anguishing over compromises of form, function and the price of bought items.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My sewing machine is about 35 years old, and does the job just fine. I would think that there are plenty of sewing machines out there on Freecycle, eBay, etc. that wouldn't cost much, and do a good job without anything fancy.

I've mainly used my sewing machine to make clothes. I haven't tired cycling clothes, yet, but I have some lycra left over from another project, so I plan to have a go at some point

Some years ago, I did make a light weight rain fly for an aging one person tent. It worked fine, but a rain fly is pretty simple. I don't recall what happened to either the tent or the rain fly. Maybe my brother ended up with them when I upgraded.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
freiston

Post by freiston »

Vorpal wrote:My sewing machine is about 35 years old, and does the job just fine. I would think that there are plenty of sewing machines out there on Freecycle, eBay, etc. that wouldn't cost much, and do a good job without anything fancy.

I've mainly used my sewing machine to make clothes. I haven't tired cycling clothes, yet, but I have some lycra left over from another project, so I plan to have a go at some point

Some years ago, I did make a light weight rain fly for an aging one person tent. It worked fine, but a rian fly is pretty simple. I don't recall what happened to either the tent or the rain fly. Maybe my brother ended up with them when I upgraded.

This cooking shelter (photo c. 1981) was made by the mother of my girlfriend at the time. It gave wind-protection when cooking and kept stuff out of the rain when not cooking. I have got virtually zero skill with a sewing machine or even with scissors (a lifetime of trying to use right-handed scissors left-handed):
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Lots of good points there Graham. It's only now that my cycling equipment is settled that I have the resources to try some MYOG pieces.

Pleased to see others posting their stuff from the past. I would love to have a crack at some bikepacking bags as well.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

John,

If you, or anyone else, needs any help or pointers with fabric suppliers, designing etc John feel free to ask.
Scunnered

Re: Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Post by Scunnered »

I made my own tent

and gas stove

both are still in use
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

I guess it depends on many things... I am more willing to repair clothes that fit me well, I especially like, or have a high replacement cost. I am also somewhat more likely to do things myself than not. Such repairs are a little more expensive in Norway, and I haven't found someone I trust to do them. I did have a dry cleaners do a zip a couple of years ago, but I wasn't completely happy with the result. Also, the kids outgrow stuff so quickly that we usually have a few items around that I can scavenge zippers or material from.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom