Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
freiston

Re: Anyone dabbled in Make-Your-Own-Gear ?

Post by freiston »

Scunnered wrote:I made my own tent

and gas stove

both are still in use

That's impressive! :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Did you have a pattern for constructing it?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

Vorpal wrote:

Did you have a pattern for constructing it?

I made the pattern too. First I made some drawings and calculated various lengths. Then I made a full size frame out of wood and tacked plastic sheet to the frame. The plastic sheet was marked, removed and cut to shape and became the pattern. The only flaw was that this did not account for the stretch in thin si-nylon so some "adjustments" were required!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

That tent looks epic. I have been tempted to get some DCF to try a tarptent like construction but the stuffs so expensive it went wrong it be quite a waste.

What was the purpose of doing a stove? that would never occur to me?
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

1982john wrote:What was the purpose of doing a stove? that would never occur to me?

I wanted a combination of features not available on a comercial stove. And I like a challenge :D
The unique feature not obvious from the photo is that it can be connected to either screw threaded canisters or CampinGaz canisters (no additional adaptor required).

Current project: lightweight solar power bank. I must have a chronic "condition" :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Interestingly, some people seem to be often concerned about the environment and recycling, but would easily close an eye when it's about saving money. Oh, save save save. Nevermind if that comes at the cost of questionable ways of producing the raw materials, and the ethics about the workforce employed to produce and to distribute and sell :?

Making your own gear can often imply the use of recycled products and upcycled tooling, i.e. putting back to work a sewing machine that someone else will put in the bin :(

I've done a lot of mods on existing stuff, and made things right from scratch. It's a lot more rewarding than just opening the wallet, even if it was only to pay a tenner.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Scunnered wrote:
1982john wrote:What was the purpose of doing a stove? that would never occur to me?

I wanted a combination of features not available on a comercial stove. And I like a challenge :D
The unique feature not obvious from the photo is that it can be connected to either screw threaded canisters or CampinGaz canisters (no additional adaptor required).

Current project: lightweight solar power bank. I must have a chronic "condition" :D

Now that I really would like to see :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Has anyone ever shortened a down sleeping bag?
I'm about 5'5" and the 6' bag leaves a fair bit of room at the bottom.
My thinking is that it'll save a couple grams and some space, both in the pannier and in the tent.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I've not shortened a down bag, but have done a couple of synthetics. I have re-stuffed a down bag and it can make a lot of mess; if you aren't careful, you will be finding down around the house for weeks.
When I re-stuffed a bag, I put everything inside a large poly bag and did all the manipulation and stuffing in that. I then took it out for final sewing. The great advantage of shortening a bag is that you can use the excess down to increase the insulation around your feet if you wish.
PH

Post by PH »

Impressed, I've thought about making my own, though I'd go for a simpler straight panel design like a ridge or pyramid.
The only flaw was that this did not account for the stretch in thin si-nylon so some "adjustments" were required!

I've replaced a couple of zips and a groundsheet, it's slippery stuff to sew, I suspect manufacturers use walking foot machines so the needle stays in as the cloth moves through.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

foxyrider wrote:Now that I really would like to see :D

This?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Scunnered wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Now that I really would like to see :D

This?

Nice though that is I was meaning the power bank
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

foxyrider wrote:Nice though that is I was meaning the power bank
:lol:
Still very much a work in progress. I initially I had planned to use a single 2W solar panel:
and I made this circuit for it:
but now I have decided more power would be better, so I will use two panels which will open and close like a book.
I am currently making a new circuit to handle the extra power.
Angstrom

Re: Anyone dabbled in MYOG?

Post by Angstrom »

Graham O wrote:John,

If you, or anyone else, needs any help or pointers with fabric suppliers, designing etc John feel free to ask.

Yes, I'd like to sew some classic design paniers out of cotton duck cloth.
Where could I buy it?

Thank you?
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Simply memories". Jean Taboureau
Scunnered

Re: Anyone dabbled in MYOG?

Post by Scunnered »

Angstrom wrote:Yes, I'd like to sew some classic design paniers out of cotton duck cloth.
Where could I buy it?

The best place for fabrics and other diy stuff is https://www.extremtextil.de/en