UK camping without a reservation

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bohrsatom

UK camping without a reservation

Post by bohrsatom »

When I’m touring in Europe I don’t think twice about arriving at a campsite at 5pm without a reservation. In many years of touring there’s only one time I remember being turned away because a site was full (on the Elberadweg) and we managed to find an alternative a few KMs along the river.

This year I’d like to do some short 1 or 2 night trips in the UK. But, compared with the continent, most sites here don’t seem to be set up for cycle tourists, with minimum two or three night stays and mandatory reservations. My only experience is a couple of nights at Camping and Caravan Club sites where we didn’t reserve but their sites are few and far between and in my mind poor value for money (almost £25/night for two).

Just wondering what others experiences are? Do you always book in advance, just to be sure, or wing it on the day?
if I was to take the same approach as I do in Europe and find a random site on Google Maps, what are my chances of getting a pitch at 5pm on a Friday or Saturday evening?
foxyrider

Re: UK camping without a reservation

Post by foxyrider »

How did you pay that much at a c&c site? Even the full non member price for a bike and tent is under a tenner. A friend and I got four nights at one site for £12 - that was with 2 tents and included all the facilities! I've never been turned away from a campsite but have seen it happen to others - early arrival is the trick.

I agree that many sites do seem geared up for longer stops and often don't mention bikes with tents on their websites. That said, if you actually call them they are generally quite accommodating. Clearly at busy times / locations you might need to book in advance but i've never found that an issue.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I’ve never had a problem turning up at the end of the day with a bike & a tent at a UK campsite. I think the only time you may get close is the August Bank Holiday weekend.
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Last year I tried to book in to the C and CC site at Beadnell (not certified sites but own run site) which describes itself as cycle friendly as it is on the Northumberland Coast route. They wanted me to book two nights which is pretty pointless on a long distance route and made no concessions for either my age or the fact that I was on a bike with a tiny tent and wanted to charge me £25 per night.

I declined their generosity.
John
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

That surprises me Oldjohnw. I don't know that site but in my experience most UK sites will accept solo (or two) late arriving unbooked walkers/cyclists, even when the "Full" sign is up (though I'd always recommend using a bit of common sense at Bank Holidays - no point in making a nuisance of yourself when they're stretched). Similarly, I've never been ripped off at a C&CC site.
National Trust &, I think, C&CC sites have an unadvertised policy of not turning away self-propelled visitors. It helps if you look like you've just done a 90 mile day, stress that you have a small tent & will be moving on in the morning. They've unfailingly found a spot for me somewhere, member or not.
One stormy evening, after queuing while a dozen families were being booked into an already crowded C&CC site, I threw myself on their mercy & was offered a spot next to a flowerbed outside the site office window - an immaculately manicured and level garden pitch but a tad noisy. I think I'd been interrogated in a friendly fashion by just about everyone on the site by the time I left!
I like to keep my plans flexible so I don't book sites in advance & usually find folk are curious & glad to help. After talking to a guy in a (broken down!) vintage car near Mallaig I was later flagged down by his wife (who'd fetched his tool kit from home) & invited to camp overnight in their garden, conveniently situated directly opposite the bar of the Arisaig Hotel.......much nearer to food & drink than the local campsites & free!
Of course, there's always a rotten apple in the barrel, fortunately I've not come across one yet.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Oldjohnw wrote:Last year I tried to book in to the C and CC site at Beadnell (not certified sites but own run site) which describes itself as cycle friendly as it is on the Northumberland Coast route. They wanted me to book two nights which is pretty pointless on a long distance route and made no concessions for either my age or the fact that I was on a bike with a tiny tent and wanted to charge me £25 per night.

I've always just turned up at the main C&CC site and in 4 summers on tour (+100 sites) I've only been turned away once.
It was Troutbeck and I just cycled down to Keswick, which actually worked out better for the next day start.
When you book in you need to get the backpacking rate of ~£10 per night, but it's hidden on the booking in screen so not obvious.

Saying that if I add all my summer tour up them I've used well over 700 sites and only been turned away from a couple.
If you turn upon a bike then you can normally talk you're onto a pitch.
So I think unless it's a bank holiday weekend then you've probably a better than 99% chance of getting in if you just turn up.

Luck ............ :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:Last year I tried to book in to the C and CC site at Beadnell (not certified sites but own run site) which describes itself as cycle friendly as it is on the Northumberland Coast route. They wanted me to book two nights which is pretty pointless on a long distance route and made no concessions for either my age or the fact that I was on a bike with a tiny tent and wanted to charge me £25 per night.

If booking then most C&CC have a minimum number of nights. All members DO get an age concession. I’ve just done a pretend booking for Beadnell during late May holiday weekend 2019 the cost would be £23 for 2 nights.
I’ve never witnessed a cycle tourer arriving on a C&CC site and been turned away. They always find a patch somewhere and yes just for one night.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

C&CC club sites have a "backpacker" rate that also applies to cyclists, which is around £8 for non-members, and around £2 less for members.
I did had to ask for it once, which I took to be ignorance on the part of the receptionist.

The rates vary between sites, so I'd query anything over £10.

There is a difference between actual club sites, and club recommended sites. The backpacker rate and the no turn policy probably don't apply to the recommended sites.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks guys. I did use both the online system and the phone in advance but to no avail. I didn't just turn up.

I am not a club member although I was for many years when we camped with young children. We only stayed at club sites because of the superior facilities and didn't mind the premium for the quality. I'll give Beanell another go this year - it's only 40 miles away.
John
F70100

Post by F70100 »

It takes a bit of finding, and the wording actually renders the clause effectively worthless, but the following is extracted from the Camping & Caravanning Club "UK Club Site Policies";

2.5 - Backpackers wherever possible will be accommodated – please advise us at the time of booking. A backpacker is defined as a camper who arrives on site by foot, bicycle or canoe, but not in any form of motorised vehicle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I think I've mentioned it before. I had a night at the C&CC site just North of Balmaha on the bank of Loch Lomond. It was April, but not Easter so low season, I just turned up & my Member's backpacker rate was around £5. Not a bad spot either :D

DSC_0138 (Medium).JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

bohrsatom wrote:But, compared with the continent, most sites here don’t seem to be set up for cycle tourists, with minimum two or three night stays and mandatory reservations. My only experience is a couple of nights at Camping and Caravan Club sites where we didn’t reserve but their sites are few and far between and in my mind poor value for money (almost £25/night for two).

Back in September I took a trip from NL to Ireland (and back) for my first camping trip through the UK and would tend to agree.
I've rolled into campsites in NL, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria and Switzerland and never had a problem. In fact, many have clear procedures for late arrivals on where we can set up and how to pay. Often in dubious weather or late in the evening, they'll cut through the red tape and let me set up before registering. One night, in Austria, I had to set up in the kids playground they were that full. Another evening, also in Austria, when the owner heard where I'd come from that day, the first step in the registration process was a (free!) beer! :D

My experience in the UK was different. First of all, after learning that some of what were listed as "Campsites" were actually Residential Caravan Parks and not intended for short term stays at all, I started calling in advance. Not one answered. Or indeed called me back.
In most cases, a cycle camper seemed to be a strange, almost suspicious, entity and they weren't sure how to deal with me and rates seemed to be plucked from the air. Only once was I engaged in conversation about where I was coming from/going to. I found that at odds with my experiences elsewhere.
I recall one situation where I approached the office of a campsite down a long avenue watched intently by a man. I rolled up, said hello, parked up the bike, removed my handlebar bag and made for the office.
"Where do you think you're going?"
"I'm looking for a spot to camp for the night"
"Not here. We don't take tents"
"Oh, do you know anywhere around here where I can camp?"
"No". And he walked away.
And that place had been recommended by the local tourist office!

Having said that, another place that was a guesthouse/camper park went out of their way calling a few places to find a place that would take a tent. I was surprised how difficult it seemed to be. Mind you, had they answered the phone when I called...... In any case, the place I did go to that evening was run by a very pleasant older lady, but she did tell me that had I shown up "on spec" she may have been full! It was a good thing that I had a "local reference".
Maybe it's just me and how I look, but I've never had this before in other countries.

Another campsite I stayed at in Wales had the longest list of "anti-social" rules I've ever seen, including what steps would be taken for their breach up to and including getting kicked out. Perhaps some campsites have problems with anti-social groups?

It certainly wouldn't put me off touring in the UK again. Just one of those local idiosyncrasies more than compensated by the availability of all day breakfasts! :D

The only time I make reservations is when I head away on winter trips, simply because so few campsites are open that if my intended campsite is unavailable for whatever reason, then I do have a problem!

My advice to the OP is if they don't want to make hard and fast reservations, call the campsites in the areas they will be interested in, ensure they accept cycletourists and "favourite" those on Google maps. Then on the day you can pick which is best for you.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

HobbesOnTour wrote:My advice to the OP is if they don't want to make hard and fast reservations, call the campsites in the areas they will be interested in, ensure they accept cycletourists and "favourite" those on Google maps. Then on the day you can pick which is best for you.

The other option is you just have to be will to take the risk and find a wild camp if you run out of options.
Find a field/coppice set back from the road and set up on the headland hopefully out of sight of the road.
Leave early and leave no trace you've been there.
I've done that on the odd occasion I couldn't find a site and it's one of the reasons I charge my devices off solar/dynamo as I go along.
In all my years on tour, I've only been asked to move on twice, once in the UK and the other time in Iceland. Both time I struck camp, moved a few miles down the road and reset my camp.

YMMV ......... :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

The only campsite I've ever been turned away from was the C&C Club site at Cannock Chase, I was told it was full and even though I was on a bike they couldn't accept any more. No big deal, I camped off site in the woods. I've rejected a few on arrival, either not liking the look of them or because of the cost, again no big deal I've camped off site. Occasionally when I've been somewhere I intend to leave the tent in the daytime I'll book in advance. Otherwise I don't, to me a big part of the attraction of camping is the flexibility, I like making plans but also like to be able to change them, longer days, shorter days, something else entirely... I haven't always found a campsite but have always found somewhere to camp.
EDIT - Slight cross post with Tigerbiten
PH

Post by PH »

Tigerbiten wrote:In all my years on tour, I've only been asked to move on twice, once in the UK and the other time in Iceland. Both time I struck camp, moved a few miles down the road and reset my camp.

The one time I've been approached was be a farmer in the early morning, I was still in the tent and already packing up when I heard the Land Rover pull up, I was braced for a confrontation but we had an interesting short conversation and he sold me some eggs (Which I didn't really want, but it seemed a fair trade)