tatanab

Re: UK camping without a reservation

Post by tatanab »

Perhaps this website might be of use http://www.cyclecamp.co.uk/default.htm
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

This has turned into an interesting discussion, thanks for all your comments

My two experiences cycle-camping in the UK were on a trip around Suffolk and Norfolk. We spent the first night at the Kessingland C&C Club site (£22 for 2 people and a small tent) and the second at the C&C Clib site in West Runton (£23 for 2, as far away from the sanitary block as physically possible). Both times we were told that neither site would ever turn away a couple of cyclists, and we were appreciative of that. But it all seemed rather expensive: on a recent trip in France a 'group rate' of two cyclists and two tents was 10EUR.

It seems that prior research and calling ahead is the best approach, even if only to save a wasted journey
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, In relation to Camping and Caravan club sites , I have stayed at probably 8 or 10 and have always paid about £7 to £8 per night as a cycle tourist. I have been asked initially to pay sums up to £20 for a small tent on some sites but after explaining to the member of staff that there is a button on the till for backpackers/touring cyclists they then realise and find it and change the fee. Not all members of staff are aware of this as they mainly deal with a family with a car who want to stay for a few days , indeed some of the sites have minimum stays of 3 or 4 days if turning up in a car, we are out of the ordinary as far as they are concerned. Nomisp
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, back with C & C club , last year while cycling North Norfolk cycle route stopped at Sandringham and West Runton sites during school holidays. I think I paid £7.50 at both sites Sandringham seems to have an area set aside for small tents for cyclists / backpackers and motorcyclists near the shower block. West runton is slightly different , it has no allocated area for smaller tents and you have to fit into gaps between other tents caravans or campervans. Nomisp
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's my experience that because outdoor power sockets tend to center around the toilet blocks, if you want an "unimproved" pitch you get one outside this ring.
Hence being as far away from the toilets as possible.
If it's a mid week and/or very quiet and your only stopping for one night then it's possible to get one closer if you ask nicely.

Again YMMV ........... :lol:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I think it may be that on some C&CC sites they will only accept bookings for two nights at weekends. Logical in a way as most weekenders want two nights and somebody with a single night leaves an empty pitch for the next night. Reminder the club is really a business out to maximise profits. Also I suspect most sites are really a franchise.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've never had any trouble at a campsite while just turning up for one night as they tend to put you up on an odd patch of grass (overflow pitch) as long as you are far enough from other tents.
I found it more iffy if your turning up for 2 or 3 night as you have to go on a more official pitch.

YMMV .......... :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

On this matter, how reliable are the results found from the Archies app? It seems to find plenty of places, most are C&CC sites so not sure about a single cyclist been granted a one-night small pitch?
I'm talking of south-east (Hampshire/Sussex/Kent) and Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire.
:?:
Thanks!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Gattonero wrote:On this matter, how reliable are the results found from the Archies app? It seems to find plenty of places, most are C&CC sites so not sure about a single cyclist been granted a one-night small pitch?
I'm talking of south-east (Hampshire/Sussex/Kent) and Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire.
:?:
Thanks!

Last summer in France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany most afternoons/evenings (after setting up camp) I'd plan for next day and phone proposed campsite and ask "if I need to make a reservation". On a couple of occasions I got e.g. "We only take camping cars" or "no longer do camping" (even one quite rude response in Dutch!). It really was only a couple of occasions where I could not use them but those did keep me phoning ahead (though I never made any reservation as most places said "on a bike we'll always find space").

A short pre-main tour "dry run" and I called a few potential camp sites and found a couple closed. Also 1st UK site I visited had no showers (not a "they are not working" but there were never any showers).

After my travels I e-mailed Archies with updates and they replied thanking me saying they'd updated their database.

One great limitation I found of Archies is the limited information it includes. It would be great if they could add website link and notes. These would the gradually get added as sites ge updated ... I found it often slowed down the process of phoning ahead as I wanted to see what type of campsite it was (e.g. one of the kiddies "holiday camp sites" type of place or full of permanent chalets, etc. (and the price - which is too complex and variable for Archies to include but gave a useful indication as to swimming-pool, bouncy castle, restaurants, etc. vs somewhere to pitch your tent with loos and showers).

Ian
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I find Archies to be pretty reliable, although there have been a couple of times where the site we were looking for turned out either not to exist or not be suitable for tents (e.g. a kids holiday camp in Czech!).

Surprisingly few camp sites don't have a website these days, even the French municipal ones are listed on the maire website, so the absence of any info online is a red flag. If I'm in an area where there aren't many alternative sites nearby I'll either search online/call the site to confirm they're open, or consider a plan B. Last thing you want is to arrive after a long day's riding to find the next nearest site is two hours away.