Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Post by Sweep »

Gents of a certain age do of course have a certain need for nocturnal liquid expelling trips.

Doesn't worry me that much and I have always been blessed with sleeping well.

But it can be a serious serious pain when camping.

Any tips for minimising this apart from, obviously, not drinking too much before retiring?

Apologies, assume has been covered before.
Sweep
Warin61

Re: Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Post by Warin61 »

Pee Bottle. No need to get out of your sleeping bag. Also relives the morning dash to the toilet.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One should always drink plenty of liquid, better too much than too little, especially in summer
I would try to drink more early in the day and a bit less later, except maybe in summer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Warin61 wrote:Pee Bottle. No need to get out of your sleeping bag. Also relives the morning dash to the toilet.

... but make sure that it isn't the same type as the one you use onto bike during the day, you could get them confused!
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

For ease of use see these: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydr ... 4-115.html

- a little pricey but as a regular all-season camper of a certain age I highly recommend them for their low weight, packability, longevity & suitability for purpose. I'm still using one that I bought nearly 10 years ago & wouldn't camp without it. Not easy to buy elsewhere in the UK. (I've no connection with the product or supplier.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need to spend so much, just keep and re-use drinks cartons/bottles, free!
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

I'd already anticipated some comments on the price, Cyril Haearn, but in my experience it really is well worth the money for the ability to pack my chosen bottle down small (I also backpack) & the extra wide lid makes for ease of use in the dark. I've not found anything more user-friendly for camping, even among purpose made medical hygiene stuff.
I've found that narrow-neck drinks bottle intended for pouring, not peeing into, are a poor substitute & would likely call for the use of a torch. I've not got enough hands for that! (You also see some interesting silhouettes in illuminated nylon tents at night :shock: !)
Everyone makes their own choice, of course, but one "mistake" in the small hours of a cold, wet winter night could make things very unpleasant so I'll not be penny pinching in that area.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps one could just buy a small funnel, some drinks bottles have narrow necks need a good aim, and one might not be wide awake at 03oo :?
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Strange title – I thought this was going to be a thread about cutting small holes in your tent. To let stray wandering nocturnal hedgehogs out or something. :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

philsknees wrote:I'd already anticipated some comments on the price, Cyril Haearn, but in my experience it really is well worth the money for the ability to pack my chosen bottle down small (I also backpack) & the extra wide lid makes for ease of use in the dark. I've not found anything more user-friendly for camping, even among purpose made medical hygiene stuff.
I've found that narrow-neck drinks bottle intended for pouring, not peeing into, are a poor substitute & would likely call for the use of a torch. I've not got enough hands for that! (You also see some interesting silhouettes in illuminated nylon tents at night :shock: !)
Everyone makes their own choice, of course, but one "mistake" in the small hours of a cold, wet winter night could make things very unpleasant so I'll not be penny pinching in that area.....

I thought your original post explaining your choice was admirably clear tbh.
PH

Post by PH »

Just get up and go outside, take in the night air and enjoy the scenery and try not to hit your neighbours tent while you're admiring the stars.
If you use a bottle, but don't have the space to do so comfortably, you're probably not emptying your bladder and it won't be long before you need to go again. Also, that might not be what's waking you up, but once you're awake your body tells you that's what you need, so try and deal with what it is, maybe cold or comfort. As has been said, don't restrict you fluid in an attempt to minimise it, unless of course that fluid is overdoing it in the pub.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:Just get up and go outside, take in the night air and enjoy the scenery and try not to hit your neighbours tent while you're admiring the stars.
If you use a bottle, but don't have the space to do so comfortably, you're probably not emptying your bladder and it won't be long before you need to go again. Also, that might not be what's waking you up, but once you're awake your body tells you that's what you need, so try and deal with what it is, maybe cold or comfort. As has been said, don't restrict you fluid in an attempt to minimise it, unless of course that fluid is overdoing it in the pub.

just be careful to check the wind direction.....
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

PH wrote:Just get up and go outside, take in the night air and enjoy the scenery.

I did that once, in Scotland. Height of the midge season. After a few drinks. Stark naked. If I'm quick, I thought, they won't notice me. Not a mistake you make twice.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philsknees wrote:For ease of use see these: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydr ... 4-115.html

- a little pricey but as a regular all-season camper of a certain age I highly recommend them for their low weight, packability, longevity & suitability for purpose. I'm still using one that I bought nearly 10 years ago & wouldn't camp without it. Not easy to buy elsewhere in the UK. (I've no connection with the product or supplier.)

Cripes that is expensive but will consider.
Initially a bit confused when reading the description as their promotion of them for long nights and avoiding tent exits is of course somewhat different from your usage.
Thanks again.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
philsknees wrote:For ease of use see these: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydr ... 4-115.html

Cripes that is expensive but will consider.
Initially a bit confused when reading the description as their promotion of them for long nights and avoiding tent exits is of course somewhat different from your usage.
Thanks again.

looking at the price I think some one is taking the hmm micky?