Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Post by mercalia »

philsknees wrote:For ease of use see these: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydr ... 4-115.html

- a little pricey but as a regular all-season camper of a certain age I highly recommend them for their low weight, packability, longevity & suitability for purpose. I'm still using one that I bought nearly 10 years ago & wouldn't camp without it. Not easy to buy elsewhere in the UK. (I've no connection with the product or supplier.)

get a collapsable water bottle from Pounlander. At that price is a con
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philsknees

Post by philsknees »

mercalia, your photo reawakened the horror of me venturing out of my tent starkers for an early morning pee in full view of a crowded campsite. Unfortunately it was a case of "I've started so I'll finish"! All caused by a combination of misreading my watch while half asleep, a very gloomy overcast morning & unusually quiet neighbouring campers - I broke all records for packing up & getting out of there, hoping they saw me as some sort of eccentric naturist!

I've been camping regularly for 50+ years and latterly, as the need arose, searched extensively for the perfect pee bottle. Having read the various comments on this post, for those who are sufficiently confident to juggle a fragile plastic drinks bottle (& a funnel?) inside their tent, I'd say it's a risky business but each to their own...... It's certainly a popular choice to judge from the Scottish verges & ditches that I've cycled alongside.
However, if you're after a reusable container that's more user-friendly in every way, get hold of a Nalgene folding bottle while some are available. I've found it the best choice by far but always very hard to find in the UK (mine came from Germany which was at least cheaper than paying US shipping costs).
To reassure those who consider them a bit pricey, they seem to be made of several laminated layers, similar to the more widely available Platypus bottles and my folding Nalgenes are still going strong after nearly 10 years of constant use so have actually cost me just a tad over £2 a year to date. The price of the Nalgene offerings is broadly comparable to the equivalent capacity Platypus models, though I haven't found the Platys to be quite as durable and of course they only come with that narrow neck which is definitely an issue for this type of use......
I tour on a purpose-built machine not a BSO, so don't see the point of skimping on the little things that can so easily improve off-bike comfort in a tent.
(Once again, I've no connection with product or supplier, just a very impressed user.)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

As noted by several above, a drinks bottle. If I've not bought a suitable bottle, with drink, for the evening then I will look in the dustbins to find one. If only ones with narrow necks are available then I will cut off the top to make a large cup sort of thing which I can leave outside of the tent inner when used. Simple. I would not buy a dedicated receptacle that I would have to carry around, and more to the point I would have to clean it.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I try to buy a carton or small bottle of milk to drink during the evening, then use the bottle during the night if need be. I got caught out once last year, I woke up about 5am and thought I would take the opportunity while everything was quite, the trouble was, everyone was already getting packed up but as you say, I have started so I'll finish. It did not make the early morning news so I guess it was taken for what it was.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've only used mine for drinking water but I see no reason why it couldn't double up as a waste receptacle. Folds flat too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OHAQUIU/ ... zCb46SB4FV
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Go camping in Africa, after the first time you exit the tent and see reflecting eyes, you learn not to need to go in the dark.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

1 litre milk bottles here have wide mouths .. and they are PET - meaning they are light weight. Cannot do anything about the size.

If your regularly going more than once a night you need to talk to your doctor. Bladder capacity ~ 200 ml .. max ~ 300 ml (YMMV).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus Two, both are right, one invests a bit of cash in a custom solution, the other crafts something for free
Both are right
The big elephant in the room=Washing ones hands?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The big elephant in the room=Washing ones hands?

Q: Does a 'gentleman from country A'* wash his hands before or after peeing?
A: Neither. During.

*I'm avoiding accusations of racist stereotyping here. Insert whatever nationality has a reputation for unclean habits in your particular culture. The person I heard this from was telling the story against his own nationality.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Conveniently small bottles of waterless hand wash are available from chemists. Not enough to do a whole elephant though.....
My night "kit" in a small stuffbag contains the aforementioned folding bottle, a ziploc with some loo paper & the hand wash.
Need I add that hand wash is also an essential item if preparing food when camping?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philsknees wrote:Need I add that hand wash is also an essential item if preparing food when camping?

Am not overly "fussy" so have never thought of this. Thanks, may well change my habits, for I wash my hands a fair bit when cooking at home, sometimes several times during one cook.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The trouble with pee bottles is the risk that you spill it inside and thus have a smelly tent and have to wash your sleeping bag etc
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Yep, even outside of this topic there's some nasty stuff about that you wouldn't normally consider. A farmer friend of mine is authorised to occasionally provide limited camping on his land for small music/mountain athletic events but he has to certify that no livestock has used the field for some weeks beforehand, to let the nasties that may have been deposited disappear. I know his sheep get regular dosing because they pick up digestive worms & liver flukes while grazing and it's not unusual for the odd escapee beast to appear on the official sites I use regularly.
Even on recognised sites I tend to use my hands on the ground now when exiting my tent (I'm of that age) & you never know who might have been using that area as a nocturnal lavatory just before you pitched up - it does seem fairly common practice among posters on here and, indeed, myself before I took the "pee bottle" approach.
It's probably best not to be too precious about these things but be particularly aware when food is being handled.
I prefer winter camping when there are fewer people about and especially when there's a covering of nice clean white snow......
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

mercalia wrote:The trouble with pee bottles is the risk that you spill it inside and thus have a smelly tent and have to wash your sleeping bag etc

Use the cap, that is what it is for. You will also find the bottle is nice and warm after use and can be used as a 'hot water bottle' to warm your toes.