Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Post by Gattonero »

I'm not a fan of those drinks, but a small bottle of Oasis drink works well for me.
Without going into personal details, some people may have a reason or another for not using a standard drink bottle. I completely agree with the risk of spilling onto the sleeping bag or the tent. No, thanks.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

Ladies of a certain age have this problem as well but it’s more awkward for us. I’ve always used a Pot Noodle pot (having eat the PotNoodle obviously). After I’ve had a comfort break I put it outside the fly (away from spying eyes) and empty it/wash it out in the morning. I then use it during the day for spent teabags.
What do other ladies do?

Tabby
CTC member since 1985
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Tabby wrote:Ladies of a certain age have this problem as well but it’s more awkward for us. I’ve always used a Pot Noodle pot (having eat the PotNoodle obviously). After I’ve had a comfort break I put it outside the fly (away from spying eyes) and empty it/wash it out in the morning. I then use it during the day for spent teabags.
What do other ladies do?

Tabby

Oh my god .. :shock: .... there's got to be a web site for this hasn't there ......possibly Japanese ... :lol: :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Tabby wrote:Ladies of a certain age have this problem as well but it’s more awkward for us. I’ve always used a Pot Noodle pot (having eat the PotNoodle obviously). After I’ve had a comfort break I put it outside the fly (away from spying eyes) and empty it/wash it out in the morning. I then use it during the day for spent teabags.
What do other ladies do?

Tabby

I use a collapsible silicon funnel and an old milk bottle which gets replaced regularly. I did try one of those shewee things but didn't get on too well with it.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
River_rat

Post by River_rat »

I was told by a rather elegant lady in South Africa, that in that country women use a vuvuzela!

River Rat
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

A Shewee and lemonade bottle?
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

River_rat wrote:I was told by a rather elegant lady in South Africa, that in that country women use a vuvuzela!

That would keep the theft rate of vuvuzelas down :)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

What do other ladies do?

Tabby

Love this thread. I just use the grass in the porch in a wee emergency. I have a double entrance tent so use the side away from where I’m going in and out and there’s no ground sheet to complicate things- and make sure I dunk a bottle of water on the area in the morning to wash away any residue. Now thinking I’m a terrible person.
pwa

Post by pwa »

MrsHJ wrote:
What do other ladies do?

Tabby

Love this thread. I just use the grass in the porch in a wee emergency. I have a double entrance tent so use the side away from where I’m going in and out and there’s no ground sheet to complicate things- and make sure I dunk a bottle of water on the area in the morning to wash away any residue. Now thinking I’m a terrible person.

You're not a terrible person. Unless we are talking number twos.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus Two, both are right, one invests a bit of cash in a custom solution, the other crafts something for free
Both are right
The big elephant in the room=Washing ones hands?

Hand sanitiser.
spikesoton

Post by spikesoton »

I used to have to get up several times in the night for a pee due to prostate enlargement so I used old cycling bottles. After a blood test showed risk of kidney failure due to back-up I now self catheterise. Usually only once at night but using a bottle is more awkward. The in-situ catheter I had to start with was too uncomfortable for long cycling trips. One option is a catheter leg bag which avoids spillage but I find it a bit dificult to know when I have finished.

Sheath catheters (like condoms) are available which when combined with a leg bag could be a solution for all males.

I would not recommend using a bottle less than 750ml as I measure my output and although 400ml is the average I have frequently manage 600 and my record is 800!

Small tents where you can't kneel up make life awkward.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

spikesoton wrote:I would not recommend using a bottle less than 750ml as I measure my output and although 400ml is the average I have frequently manage 600 and my record is 800!

Normal max is 300 ml ? At least that is my recollection.
I did manage (with pain) 900 ml ... but had renal failure to do that and had a catheter inserted to drain that, and managed 2 l total over the next 2 hours...

I find my max over night sleep is ~ 500 ml at the moment, no catheters in use (fingers crossed for the future).

I use a 1 l PET milk bottle- light weight and comes free with milk.

A sheath catheter draining into the milk bottle may work .. but I'd be worried about leaks so I think I'll stick to the simple bottle.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Warin61 wrote:
spikesoton wrote:I would not recommend using a bottle less than 750ml as I measure my output and although 400ml is the average I have frequently manage 600 and my record is 800!

Normal max is 300 ml ? At least that is my recollection

There's a difference between "in one go", and overnight, especially once beer gets involved.

In the distant past I worked on a base in the Antarctic, and the the doctors used to have research projects to keep them entertained when nobody was sick (most of the time). On one occasion this involved collecting 24 hours-worth of pee. One lad took the 5 litre container supplied as a challenge, and succeeded in filling it and having to get another.
millimole

Post by millimole »

5 litres of urine in a day would be pathological in almost any situation.
The rule of thumb for 'normal' urine output is 1ml / minute which approximates to 1440ml in 24 hours (say 1.5 litres). That's why most hospital laboratory 24 hour urine bottles are 2.5 litres - plenty of room for almost all eventualities.
I've seen in excess of 10litres in Diabetes Insipidus (not related to usual diabetes); around 7 litres in pregnancy; as little as 5ml in some renal conditions.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

millimole wrote:5 litres of urine in a day would be pathological in almost any situation.
The rule of thumb for 'normal' urine output is 1ml / minute which approximates to 1440ml in 24 hours (say 1.5 litres). That's why most hospital laboratory 24 hour urine bottles are 2.5 litres - plenty of room for almost all eventualities.
I've seen in excess of 10litres in Diabetes Insipidus (not related to usual diabetes); around 7 litres in pregnancy; as little as 5ml in some renal conditions.

I have found that putting away a few pints of beer in an evening increases my output accordingly.
Conversely, cycling on a very hot day most of the considerable intake seemed to leave my body via the skin.
Presumably the 5l. lad drank plenty.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?