Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Cutting minimising nocturnal tent exits

Post by andrew_s »

Mike Sales wrote:Presumably the 5l. lad drank plenty.

He did indeed.
Once you break the seal, as it were, you pee out the processed beer just about as fast as you put it in. It's the only way those so inclined can put away 15 pints in an evening.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

spikesoton wrote:I used to have to get up several times in the night for a pee due to prostate enlargement so I used old cycling bottles. After a blood test showed risk of kidney failure due to back-up I now self catheterise. Usually only once at night but using a bottle is more awkward. The in-situ catheter I had to start with was too uncomfortable for long cycling trips. One option is a catheter leg bag which avoids spillage but I find it a bit dificult to know when I have finished.

Sheath catheters (like condoms) are available which when combined with a leg bag could be a solution for all males.

I would not recommend using a bottle less than 750ml as I measure my output and although 400ml is the average I have frequently manage 600 and my record is 800!

Small tents where you can't kneel up make life awkward.

Can you remember what amount you pee'd before you started to self cat? I've always peed a lot -- on average about 300 to 400 ml every two hours day and night but don't have an enlarged prostate -- I think it's related to stress -- I know the sort of stress that can set me off and it's usually minor silly things like -- did I charge my extra phone battery bank before I set off on a ride and 5min later would need to stop for a pee. It's like when I get some stressful thought my body starts making p at an alarming rate then I can pee 300ml every 20min 4 or 5 times in a row. Some days when I am relaxed I can go 5 or 6 hours without a p but I'll always do about 3 p's every night camping or not so when camping I carry a proper urinary bottle which is very handy in the tent cos it lays horizontal thus I can just zip the sleep bag down, roll over and do the business into bottle and put the cap on -- it's full by morning.

Looking one up for a picture to put on here I came across this which may help the fairer cockless of the species.

https://www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/unisex- ... gKzlfD_BwE
I am here. Where are you?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

andrew_s wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Presumably the 5l. lad drank plenty.

He did indeed.
Once you break the seal, as it were, you pee out the processed beer just about as fast as you put it in. It's the only way those so inclined can put away 15 pints in an evening.

So it just rinses through? Can the body extract and store the alcohol and other contents?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The five litre lad would be a great name for a pub :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cowsham wrote:The five litre lad would be a great name for a pub :lol:

Not in b****tland if you please, ten-pint lad it would have to be :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cowsham wrote:The five litre lad would be a great name for a pub :lol:

Not in b****tland if you please, ten-pint lad it would have to be :wink:

Whoops sorry

But just worked out I'm the 3.6 litre lad or maybe better known now as the Six Pint Senior
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Had this chat with GP friends last week-end. They both stressed that proper hydration should trump convenience every time. We shoud all be aiming for straw-coloured urine, they advised. Thus, I have that bottle. Phew.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:They both stressed that proper hydration should trump convenience every time.

Yes.

simonineaston wrote:We should all be aiming for straw-coloured urine...

Unfortunately that's not as reliable as commonly thought.
https://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4848.full

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for that - I followed the link to the article in the BMJ but (not unreasonably) it thinks I should log in. Not all periodicals are as generous as The Guardian! I'll look elsewhere as I'm interested.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

"Looking one up for a picture to put on here I came across this which may help the fairer gender.
https://www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/unisex- ... gKzlfD_BwE"

Thanks for the tip off. I have just ordered two for the car as I would not feel safe using motorway service stations or any public toilets.

I am currently getting kitted up for my first ever foray into cycle camping. Well into retirement here so a bit of a late entrant. Done three nights in the back garden so far!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:Thanks for that - I followed the link to the article in the BMJ but (not unreasonably) it thinks I should log in. Not all periodicals are as generous as The Guardian! I'll look elsewhere as I'm interested.

This version might not be paywalled:
https://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4848?ijkey=493ffa33e84723c1d875be9fe7fdbe3442269b97&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for that, Jonathan - quick bit of action with DuckDuckGo and I found a pdf of the paper here. I'm settling down to have a read :-)
S
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

steve browne wrote:I am currently getting kitted up for my first ever foray into cycle camping. Well into retirement here so a bit of a late entrant. Done three nights in the back garden so far!

Well done :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

steve browne wrote:"Looking one up for a picture to put on here I came across this which may help the fairer gender.
https://www.mobilitysmart.co.uk/unisex- ... gKzlfD_BwE"

Thanks for the tip off. I have just ordered two for the car as I would not feel safe using motorway service stations or any public toilets.

I am currently getting kitted up for my first ever foray into cycle camping. Well into retirement here so a bit of a late entrant. Done three nights in the back garden so far!

But your a chap? Is it for your better half?
ossie

Post by ossie »

If the camp site is quiet and I have the freedom to pick a pitch I will carefully consider a suitable location, partly but not wholly based on the inevitable 4am tent exit. The way I look at it even if using a suitable container I'd still have to extract myself from the sleeping bag and liner so might as well extract myself from the tent.

Unfortunately it doesn't always go to plan. Last Sept on a busy site at the Mohne Dam in Germany I'd picked my wee spot, which was about 20 yards away along the back of a row of caravans, separated by a hedge. Extracting myself from the tent and approaching the hedge I was suddenly lit up by a security light, then another and another as I worked my way towards the dark, then a dog started up, then the curtains started twitching, by this time the motorcyclists under their tarps were awake, so I diverted to the toilet block, a bloody long way off.