Platypus wine "bottle"

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Platypus wine "bottle"

Post by Sweep »

I suspect a few of us have had a pleasant evening with a dodgy gastronomic concoction eased down with a glass or two but might not want to finish the bottle - but carrying it the next day is of course a bit of a problem.

Anyone used one of these?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATYPUS-PRE ... 3132030102

I suppose I'm wondering how easy it is to clean since it is clearly not a disposable item.
Sweep
Paulatic

Re: Platypus wine "bottle"

Post by Paulatic »

Argh {FFE - family-friendly edit } it will taste like sh*t after a day on the bike in that.
Far better to share it with someone. For £10 I see no pleasure from it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not aware of the concept of 'not finishing' a bottle of wine. :roll: :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You could buy a 50p bottle of water, drink/use/dispose of the water and pour the wine into it. Or you could use one of those wine bottle stoppers. Or as Paulatic says, find someone to share the bottle (and some conversation and food) with.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Decanting into a water bottle as mentioned above is a great idea. Many shops abroad are also doing 500ml vino bottles if you look close enough. I hate waste but struggle (don't even try) to finish a bottle of red without some assistance when on tour...no issue at home mind .
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Sweep wrote:I suspect a few of us have had a pleasant evening with a dodgy gastronomic concoction eased down with a glass or two but might not want to finish the bottle - but carrying it the next day is of course a bit of a problem.

I suppose I'm wondering how easy it is to clean since it is clearly not a disposable item.

I haven't used one of these specifically, but it looks quite interesting. Each to his/her own, but like you, when I'm touring on my own, I do like to have a glass of wine in the evening, but not a full bottle - half a bottle at best - and without paying pub prices all the time over a two-week period. It would be useful to buy a bottle of wine at supermarket prices and safe half of it for the next evening.

I will give one a try for my next trip at the end of March and when I return home I will use either a bicarbonate of soda solution or buy a specific home-brewery sanitizer to clean it out as I have done post previous outdoor trips, which always works well. I think a used water bottle is potentially too fragile, possibly bulky to go in a pannier and not really the right shape to go in a pannier.

I don't disagree with above comments that the wine won't taste as nice when decanted into one of these for a day, but when needs must...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It just looks like a wine box without the protective box and 75 cl instead of 3l. Some reviews on Amazon, where you can also put questions to people who have bought them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Msr-Unisexs-Fa ... 5CDTBR0906
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

We are on our second one. Used them for across the US , Canada,and Europe last year. We sometimes draw a bit of attention outside the store when we buy our wine ad uncork the bottle to transfer it. Especially at 10 in the morning!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

phil parker wrote:
Sweep wrote:I suspect a few of us have had a pleasant evening with a dodgy gastronomic concoction eased down with a glass or two but might not want to finish the bottle - but carrying it the next day is of course a bit of a problem.

I haven't used one of these specifically, but it looks quite interesting. Each to his/her own, but like you, when I'm touring on my own, I do like to have a glass of wine in the evening, but not a full bottle - half a bottle at best - and without paying pub prices all the time over a two-week period. It would be useful to buy a bottle of wine at supermarket prices and safe half of it for the next evening.

I will give one a try for my next trip at the end of March and when I return home I will use either a bicarbonate of soda solution or buy a specific home-brewery sanitizer to clean it out as I have done post previous outdoor trips, which always works well. I think a used water bottle is potentially too fragile, possibly bulky to go in a pannier and not really the right shape to go in a pannier.

I don't disagree with above comments that the wine won't taste as nice when decanted into one of these for a day, but when needs must...

Look forward to you reporting back. I agree that the water bottle thing isn't a solution. Those things aren't meant for prolonged multiple reuse. And of course they don't compact when completely or partly empty.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Woodtourer wrote:We are on our second one. Used them for across the US , Canada,and Europe last year. We sometimes draw a bit of attention outside the store when we buy our wine ad uncork the bottle to transfer it. Especially at 10 in the morning!!

So you recommend them then? How long did the first one last and why did it fail?

In italy of course you can often buy wine draught from cantine, although usually in 1 litre minimums I think.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

https://www.wigglestatic.com/product-me ... &h=430&a=7

Wiggle seem to have solved the issue.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hipster ponce product of course.

Designed to be a conversation piece, make you the star beard for 15 minutes.
Sweep
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

The first one last about 4-5 years. The cap was starting to get a be fussy. Since most of our tours are 2-3 months at a time we feel we got our money's worth.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Bottles???
Am I the only one who sometimes packs the box of wine? :oops:

And sometimes it's on tap..... and free! :D
vinotinto.JPG
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

We've owned one of these for years and taken it on many tours but never actually filled it with anything, wine or not. It seems that for whatever reason any leftover wine promptly 'evaporates' before bedtime.

BTW: The Monkii Cage is a good way to transport wine from supermarket/bodega to camp site