Anyone used one of these stoves.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
whoof

Anyone used one of these stoves.

Post by whoof »

As above anyone got one of these spider stoves?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cam ... ect=mobile
irc

Re: Anyone used one of these stoves.

Post by irc »

Not that one but I use a stove of the same type and am happy with it. Lightweight and stable.

It looks identical to this one on Amazon which has a number of genuine looking positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Camping ... 2861208403
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Only thing I'd mention is that it doesn't appear to have a preheat tube.

By no means a deal breaker but handy if you want to use those cheapo tall canisters on their side. Prevents flaring.
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

thanks for the reply. I was considering getting one or something like it as they seem more stable that the stoves which attached directly to the canister.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It looks a clone of the vango one I got years ago. Probably because same maker and vango just badge it up.

If it's like it then the control knob stops completely turning the gas off after a period of time. Recommend disconnecting gas can after every use as soon as you turn it off. It can empty a can easily overnight.

Very susceptible to wind even with the cargo windshield we use.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote:It looks a clone of the vango one I got years ago. Probably because same maker and vango just badge it up.

If it's like it then the control knob stops completely turning the gas off after a period of time. Recommend disconnecting gas can after every use as soon as you turn it off. It can empty a can easily overnight.

Very susceptible to wind even with the cargo windshield we use.

You only need a small windshield with these things though - my foldable metal one folds up to almost nothing - I would give a link but for reasons best known to itself ebay seems to delete your purchase records after about two years.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Trust me if it really is the same stove as my vango one it will not be good in wind. I use a Cargo Al one that folds. It goes all around the stove but it still loses most of its heat. My ancient (older version) primus micron can top stove burns a lot better in wind even without a windshield.

I guess it could just be a cr@p stove too.

BTW what is it with gas stoves that they end up n not being able to completely turn off? I've had cheap to expensive ones do the same. Do I just tighten the end of the controller to stop that happening?
hamster

Post by hamster »

Tangled Metal wrote:It looks a clone of the vango one I got years ago. Probably because same maker and vango just badge it up.

Probably a poorer quality copy. I love the photos in the ebay ad of stuff sizzling on a charcoal BBQ, implying in some way that this stove can do that...and the photoshopped orange flames from the gas burner. :lol:
astaman

Post by astaman »

I've got one just like it. I can't remember where I bought it - I'm a bit of magpie for stoves. It works just fine, it's very stable and does all that it's meant to. It is not a lightweight stove but not so heavy as to be a major problem. I have lighter stoves for backpacking but happily carry this on the bike. It does need a windshield but all stoves that don't have a windshield built in like Trangia systems benefit from a windshield. They cook quicker and are more fuel efficient. In fact the weight of a windshield can be offset against the weight of fuel needed but this is taking the detail too far I think.

I buy those heavy duty tinfoil roasting tins used for cooking turkeys etc (all the supermarkets sell them) and cut out a windshield from that and fold it up. The windshield I make is modelled on the one that comes with the MSR Whisperlite stoves. Just replace when necessary.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have one or something identical. I assume that they are made by the million in the far east.
Can't fault it. A wind break helps but thats not the stoves fault. As above I use those heavy foil roasting trays for wind breaks but you can cook in them.