Camping spares

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
drossall

Re: Camping spares

Post by drossall »

pjclinch wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:And what is this hanking of guylines?

Drummed in to me in the Scouts, it had to be done if you were in 3rd Bexley!

Too right! You'd better not let me catch you not doing it in 11th Hitchin! I've seen some spectacular knots when it wasn't done. The thing about the Scouts is that the next user of the tent isn't you, so it's about leaving the kit in a state for the next person who has to pitch in the pouring rain.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

drossall wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:And what is this hanking of guylines?

Drummed in to me in the Scouts, it had to be done if you were in 3rd Bexley!

Too right! You'd better not let me catch you not doing it in 11th Hitchin! I've seen some spectacular knots when it wasn't done. The thing about the Scouts is that the next user of the tent isn't you, so it's about leaving the kit in a state for the next person who has to pitch in the pouring rain.

The thing about my own use is the next user of the tent is me, which is an even better reason to do it!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
[Rolling up tents? golly gosh, not done that for decades as it can cause early failure of the materials.

How do you do it then? Fold or stuff? I can't see how this would be better.

I stuff (FWIW Vaude and Sea to Summit both recommend this for their respective products I use), don't have any issues with mud/wet transfer, the one time I thought i'd separate inner and fly to prevent transfer I ended doping just that :? tent fabric in one bag, pegs (washed - why would I want to carry dirty pegs about?) in another and poles in a third. the mallet just sits in the bag loose (its a Trespass PegiSu). If need be can be packed in under 5 minutes and likewise, basic erection 5 mins then a couple more adjusting the tension. I've got 3 sets of pegs which are a bit of mix'n;match, from Ti pins to (supposedly) sand stakes, depending on the soil in the region i'm camping. I do seem to manage to bend a few pegs, usually by standing on them!

My guys are usually hanked (the 15th Wellingborough drummed it into us!) and stay that way as I rarely use them, only when there is a lot of wind.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

foxyrider wrote:I stuff (FWIW Vaude and Sea to Summit both recommend this for their respective products I use)

What do you do if it's blowing 30 mph when you come to un-stuff? Doesn't it all become a bit difficult to manage?
robing

Post by robing »

Sweep wrote:
horizon wrote:
robing wrote:Yes that's the one. The drawstring as you can see is on the side rather than the end so it opens up sideways.
Don't like it.

The tent is squeezed neatly and tightly into the old style bag at the factory. All neat and nice - until you come to pack it away yourself and you cannot get the sausage back into its skin. The side opening tent bag isn't as neat but it's much more practical IMV. I wish they did the same for sleeping bags!

Afraid I have to disagree with you horizon - I have a few vango product that come in those "easy access bags" - I think they are a cop out - easier and cheaper to make I suspect - fine for car campers but for lashing to the top of a bike rack I want something that I can be confident will remain totally enclosing the tent - I don't want bungees rubbing against any part of the tent.

OP, I would I think invest in an ortlieb dry bag in the midweight 350 material. If you have more than one tent (but will of course only be using one at a time) one ortlieb dry bag will do for several. If you keep the outer and inner separate, two 13L ones might sort you. Folk have been rolling up tents and getting them into bags for a long time - it's good for the soul :)

You could trawl through these folk for something:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... acat=16034

though wouldn't be as tough as an ortlieb 350.

Of course if car camping you can do what I've done a few times of a morn in a wet welsh campsite - just throw the whole unpacked tent in the back of a hatchback and drive off :)

I agree Sweep, I think the new style bag is a cop out. If I'm putting the tent on my rear rack then I want it totally enclosed in a tube with the drawstring at the end, not down the side.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

There do seem to be different approaches at the manufacture level to how big a tent bag should be. Back in the Scouts, neatly hanked guys or not, it was always a bit of a game to get a Force 10 Mk 4 in to its supplied bag. OTOH The Saunders and Hilleberg tents I've used since have bags that are clearly a bit bigger than the minimum possible volume. I much prefer the latter approach, as I can add compression afterwards if I see fit and it's not a battle to get the thing packed away in possibly inclement conditions.

Pete.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Scouts can make any bag seem too small :(
RickH

Post by RickH »

drossall wrote:Scouts can make any bag seem too small :(

Yes it can be hard to get them in, especially if they wriggle! :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:
drossall wrote:Scouts can make any bag seem too small :(

Yes it can be hard to get them in, especially if they wriggle! :twisted:

body bags?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

andrew_s wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I stuff (FWIW Vaude and Sea to Summit both recommend this for their respective products I use)

What do you do if it's blowing 30 mph when you come to un-stuff? Doesn't it all become a bit difficult to manage?

No, why should it?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:
andrew_s wrote:

No, why should it?

I would guess that if you unpack it as basically a heap it will be a bit more awkward to deploy it so that everything is where you want it while also trying to stop it blowing away. Not impossible, just more awkward than if it's a straight roll-out. Though this is a largely theoretical problem, given the very few times I've actually found myself pitching in enough of hoolie to be a real issue over the years.

Pete.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pjclinch wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
andrew_s wrote:What do you do if it's blowing 30 mph when you come to un-stuff? Doesn't it all become a bit difficult to manage?

No, why should it?

I would guess that if you unpack it as basically a heap it will be a bit more awkward to deploy it so that everything is where you want it while also trying to stop it blowing away. Not impossible, just more awkward than if it's a straight roll-out. Though this is a largely theoretical problem, given the very few times I've actually found myself pitching in enough of hoolie to be a real issue over the years.

Pete.

when it has been windy its actually been easier to find a pegging point as i pull it out of the bag than having to unroll the whole thing, same if its wet, the inner is attached so its a win/win as far as i'm concerned. I've been tent camping from age 2/3 and its never been easier than this! :wink:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
foxyrider wrote:No, why should it?

when it has been windy its actually been easier to find a pegging point as i pull it out of the bag than having to unroll the whole thing, same if its wet, the inner is attached so its a win/win as far as i'm concerned. I've been tent camping from age 2/3 and its never been easier than this! :wink:

Don't really get why that's easier. If I take my Kaitum out the bag, rolled up, at the end of the roll are the two pegging points for one end of the tent, so I have the two primary anchors in before I even have to unroll it. I can then unroll with one end anchored and when I get to the end I'll have the other two main pegging points.

Not that from a general stuff this is necessarily difficult, but I can't see how it's going to be easier.

Pete.
robing

Post by robing »

I've been using the side opening tent bag for a while now and it's great. I actually prefer it. It's much easier to put the tent away.
horizon

Post by horizon »

robing wrote:I've been using the side opening tent bag for a while now and it's great. I actually prefer it. It's much easier to put the tent away.

Sweep doesn't agree :D but my new Vango Helix 200 has the new bag and I love it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher