Camping Pillow

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Camping Pillow

Post by andrew_s »

I recommend the Sea to Summit pillow, as above.
There's a bit of insulation to it, and it's more face friendly than the Exped I had before, so there isn't the same want for a t-shirt as pillowcase.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Sweep wrote:No idea how it compares to your vango for packing honesty but it is lighter.

(400g for a pillow?!)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-trek ... gKaC_D_BwE

and is pretty good.

I have one of these and it does the job. In the event that it ever develops a leak you can stuff it with clothing and still have a pillow.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have the Sea to Summit pillow mentioned above too and I do find it good - especially the packed size - about 4.5x2.5 inches and weighing in at 77g including stuffsac. That Decathlon one does look good.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Sweep wrote:No idea how it compares to your vango for packing honesty but it is lighter.

(400g for a pillow?!)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-trek ... gKaC_D_BwE

and is pretty good.

I have one of these and it does the job. In the event that it ever develops a leak you can stuff it with clothing and still have a pillow.

The missus and I bought 2 for our camping trip over the easter weekend. Veeeeeeery comfy indeed.
2 puffs of air from me and I find it has just enough give to be soft but not too soft. On the one side it is lightly padded for comfort and the other side as you say can be stuffed with clothes if the worst happens. The whole cover can be removed for washing.
Due to a bad shoulder I find I need 2 pillows these days and so I place it on top of decathlons cheapo pillow. Perfect.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

I need a high pillow too and after a few days of experimentation at the start of each trip I inevitably end up adopting my usual solution of a full Ortlieb Front Roller placed against the head of my air mat, supplemented by a clothing-stuffed microfleece pillowcase I've had for years:
https://www.bike24.com/p2168635.html
(still available from various suppliers but showing as discontinued on Thermarest's current US website, so don't hesitate too long if you want one)

The cost conscious could buy fleece off the roll to sew one up, take a pillowcase from home(but usually too large to stuff effectively?) or just stuff other clothing into a folded fleece top/jacket.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:Aldi did some , some time ago. do they still do them? they are of the self inflate foam filled type that work quite well

These are considerably bulkier than the pure air ones like the Expeds. We had a couple of Karrimor ones we got for the sproggen. Work okay as pillows but the packing bulk is a definite negative IMHO.

Pete.

well the bulk when compressed not too bad. and pure air ones are just balloons unlike foam filled ones which provide better "adaptive" support
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:Aldi did some , some time ago. do they still do them? they are of the self inflate foam filled type that work quite well

These are considerably bulkier than the pure air ones like the Expeds. We had a couple of Karrimor ones we got for the sproggen. Work okay as pillows but the packing bulk is a definite negative IMHO.

well the bulk when compressed not too bad. and pure air ones are just balloons unlike foam filled ones which provide better "adaptive" support

If it were just a balloon that probably would be a fair comment, but it's a fairly carefully shaped balloon and that makes a big difference. Similar, indeed, to the difference between a Neo-Air and a balloon. We have self-inflating Thermarests and Neo-Airs, find the Neo-Airs at least as comfy. We have "pure air" Exped pillows and self inflating foam filled ones, and find the "pure air" ones at least as comfortable.

The main point of the foam is to expand and draw in air. It's the air that provides the support, rather than the foam.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Vantage wrote: The whole cover can be removed for washing.

I had not realised this! Thank you! :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've tried all sorts down the years, microfibre, blow up etc, etc. as I usually don't end up with them under my head I've given up and now use my spare clothing in its stuff sack - costs nothing, weighs nothing extra and is actually bigger than the travel pillows so I might actually get some benefit from resting my head there! if I want extra elevation I just stick the empty panniers underneath. 8)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

May be of interest to someone looking for a cheap one.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco- ... nt=3219484

looks like the fairly standard artificial flock type thing.

I have one of that type but it is semi retired in favour of the decathlon above etc.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pedalsheep wrote:I find the Exped pillow pump to be very comfortable and, of course, it's also used to inflate my Exped mat so it's dual purpose. Performs both functions well.

I've made myself a clone of the Thermarest Pump-Sack: useful to keep spare clothing as the fabric is fairly waterproof, useful to pump the sleeping mat, then used as pillow. Three in one, doesn't get better than that for something that weights about 50gr and is not bigger than an apple.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
nsew

Post by nsew »

The Thermarest compressible pillow (small 200g) is the most comfortable ive ever used. Packs down to nothing, versatile & never fails. Perfect for the long haul.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I was in Clarks Village getting schools shoes for my daughter and happened to pop into Mountain warehouse. I got 2 self inflating pillows for £12.50 (buy on get one free, then 20% off!). At 240g they are exactly 200g lighter each than the existing ones and seem to be thicker too. Pack down to a smaller size than current as well, though nowhere near as good a inflatable one. Will give them ago. For 6.25 a pillow I’m not that worried if they aren’t great!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

My vote is for the standard exped pillow, not the light or ultra light versions as the fabric texture isn't as nice on those ones. The fabric actually feels soft and cloth-like, not some sticky flock over plastic. The pillow is also shaped that your head doesn't tend to roll off it. It's still very light and packs up small. Most comfortable travel pillow I've used by a fair margin. I have the large size. It's expensive though, I probably wouldn't have risked it if I couldn't have got it at trade. The decathlon inflatable pillow is very good value and has quite a good surface texture. I don't mean the Quechua helium one, I had a cheaper £3.99 job.
climo

Post by climo »

Thermorest Down pillow. Stuffed at the rear with down jacket (as in Scotland recently). Add in a fleece under the pillow and all in a half size pillow case. Decent sleeping bag on an Exped down mat with just the right amount of air in.
As good as my bed at home.