Camping Pillow

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
DaveFY7

Re: Camping Pillow

Post by DaveFY7 »

Thermarest Stuff Sack Pillow

I have tried inflatable pillows but prefer my Thermarest stuff sack pillow. A dual purpose weight saver. I use it to stow my evening clothes when on tour. The brushed surface is pleasant in use and doesn't move about in the night.

"The Thermarest Stuff Sack Pillow is a multi purpose stuff sack, that you can use for your sleeping bag or clothes, Turn it inside out and fill it with soft clothing, and hey presto! a great camping pillow, that you didn't even notice carrying in. It's a simple idea that ultilises something you're already going to be carrying on your backpacking adventure - the humble stuff sack

The interior of the stuff sack is a soft brushed polyester, for warmth and comfort as a pillow. The exterior is light, tough and very water resistant 20D siliconised Cordura nylon."

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940324/ ... small.aspx
PH

Post by PH »

In addition to the pillow (I use a stuff sack) I also put something under the end of the mat, as well as reducing the size of pillow needed, it also stops it escaping off the end of the mat in the night.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Down packs well & is very light.

Years ago, I made two down camping pillows by taking a normal pillow, shoving the down to both ends, and sewing a couple of times up the middle, then cutting them apart.

Alternatively, Thermarest and a couple of other companies sell down camping pillows. Thermarest's allows you to add clothes (under the down pillow) if the down is not enough. Kind of the best of both worlds.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In case anyone is lacking for ideas...

I forgot my pillow on a recent mini tour. I have a large-ish merino buff, which I stuffed with clothes, and then tied the ends with elastic (I had hair elastics with). It made a comfy pillow & I will probably use the same method in the future. I might carry a spare buff, in case it gets wet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

I use the "stuff spare clothes into something" method using a small pillow case in brushed material. I've been using it for literally decades.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Spare clothes for me too. Just fold under head. Though I do like the look of the "fluffy stuff sack" above. Of course the spare clothes approach does rely on carrying some clothes you won't be wearing at night, but I think it's good to have a change of clothes anyway! Another, more minimalist, approach would be to use a sleeping bag with built-in hood, such as the Buffalo bags. http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/system/sleep-system/
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have yesterday bought a Thermarest stuff pillow. It should suit my needs.
I like quality!
Skizz

Post by Skizz »

Tried loads over the years, from self-inflating to stuffsacks with clothes in. Best so far is the Trekology 'Aluft 2.0'. Quiet, stretchy enough to not feel like your head's resting on a football and quite supportive. Cheapish as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PPN8XRR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

One of my camping luxuries is a cotton pillow slip - or to be exact, a half slip - I got a sewing-machine-owning chum to adapt a full-sized slip. I just stuff it full of whatever clothes happen to hand, each night. I just love the feel of cool cotton and conversely find the extra warmth of fleece etc too much.
PS, I heard the expression "as cool as the other side of the pillow!" for the first time ever, the other day. How cool is that?! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RickH

Post by RickH »

The only time the "stuff something with clothing" option fails is when you encounter an enexpectedly cold night & need to wear absolutely everything you have with you to stay warm or, at least not too cold. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

RickH wrote:The only time the "stuff something with clothing" option fails is when you encounter an enexpectedly cold night & need to wear absolutely everything you have with you to stay warm or, at least not too cold. :D

I've used the stuffsack of clothes option for 30 years... It works and is easy. But a present of an Exped inflatable pillow a couple of years ago revealed that you can do better. You don't need one, but you probably wouldn't regret one.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

made my own down cover from a old down kacket and some tent fabric, i just inflate a drybag or insert my down jacket and I have a nice pillow.

ImageIMG_20201118_143701_176 by Pedro, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201118_124234_704 by Pedro, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201118_124234_707 by Pedro, on Flickr
Pete... I think
ossie

Post by ossie »

Tried most things and currently have an Exped air pillow. What I find makes a massive difference is just wrapping it in a normal cotton pillowcase.
nsew

Post by nsew »

I too resisted for awhile, however you can’t beat a ready to hand cushion for your head or backside while traveling. Which is why I chose the indestructible compressible Therma-rest. It gets used so often on a trip as to make it indispensable.