Campsites Pembrokeshire/Gower

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
whoof

Campsites Pembrokeshire/Gower

Post by whoof »

I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge/recommendations of campsites on the Gower and the Pembrokeshire coast. I know I can do a search on the internet but was looking for small places that often just have a sign in the road and are not listed on the internet. I was planning on going next month.
Thanks in advance.
rotavator

Re: Campsites Pembrokeshire/Gower

Post by rotavator »

These may not be really what you are after but since there are no other replies here are the ones that I have used in north Pembrokeshire:

1. Penrhyn, east of Fishguard, SM 983 382, is a very nice site with good facilities and a price to match, £15 per night in 2015.

2. Fferm Tresinwen, near Strumble Head, SM 902 406, if you prefer cheap and spartan camping.

3. Pwll Caerog, SM 787 303, a big site with good facilities although no building for sitting or cooking in bad weather and the fields are slightly sloping
whoof

Post by whoof »

rotavator wrote:These may not be really what you are after but since there are no other replies here are the ones that I have used in north Pembrokeshire:

1. Penrhyn, east of Fishguard, SM 983 382, is a very nice site with good facilities and a price to match, £15 per night in 2015.

2. Fferm Tresinwen, near Strumble Head, SM 902 406, if you prefer cheap and spartan camping.

3. Pwll Caerog, SM 787 303, a big site with good facilities although no building for sitting or cooking in bad weather and the fields are slightly sloping

Many thanks for suggestions. Strumble Head is about as far as I was going to go, the lighthouse and cliff look worth a visit so I might give this one a try.
Cheers
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

West hook farm, near Marloes is lovely although I haven't been there for a few years. I should think it will be quiet before the summer holidays. Marloes beach is amazing and there are great views of Skomer. Our favourite is a bit further north just across the border into Cardigan - Nant y Croi, Mwnt - quite basic with fantastic views and at the end of a small lane, albeit with a bridleway continuing from the Farm directly down to Mwnt Cove. There is also a secluded rocky bay below the campsite where you may see seals and porpoises/dolphins if you are lucky. Cardigan is a lovely town with a great bike shop (NIBCO) and some great cafes! I think Nant y Croi changed ownership last year, so I'm not sure if there have been any changes.

Tim
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

First sounds interesting/nice.

Quick search found thus:

http://www.westhookfarm-camping.co.uk/prices.html

Am a bit confused by prices.

One person in a 2 person tent (as used by many or most solo tourers?) pays £7.50 or £15?
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

hoppy58 wrote:West hook farm, near Marloes is lovely although I haven't been there for a few years. I should think it will be quiet before the summer holidays. Marloes beach is amazing and there are great views of Skomer. Our favourite is a bit further north just across the border into Cardigan - Nant y Croi, Mwnt - quite basic with fantastic views and at the end of a small lane, albeit with a bridleway continuing from the Farm directly down to Mwnt Cove. There is also a secluded rocky bay below the campsite where you may see seals and porpoises/dolphins if you are lucky. Cardigan is a lovely town with a great bike shop (NIBCO) and some great cafes! I think Nant y Croi changed ownership last year, so I'm not sure if there have been any changes.

Tim

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I've gone to Devon and Cornwall but I'll make a note of these for future.
hamish

Post by hamish »

In Gower you have Eastern Slade Farm which a simple site in a field with a sea view in a quiet location near Oxwich.

One I like in Pembrokshire is Pencnwc near St David's