MSR Windburner/Jetboil/ *edit - Alpkit Brukit*

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
SA_SA_SA

Re: MSR Windburner/Jetboil/ *edit - Alpkit Brukit*

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote:...those long {A4 aerosol style} cartridges ...

This seems to be an upright A4 stove that was on dragons den due to its unnecessary(IMHO :) ) unique selling point:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tegstove-Holiday-Fishing-Caravan-Portable/dp/B06Y2FNJ7J/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tegstove&qid=1565108684&s=gateway&sr=8-3
it would take a long time to make back the cost savings on gas cartridges vs its price :) *

* I don't think its made any more anyway.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

More info on the Tegstove: it definitely does take the cheap A4 Butane cannisters:
https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/tegstove.37127/

Surely, summer lightweight gas-loving campers should want a lightweight A4 stove (ie no adaptors needed)?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
RickH

Post by RickH »

SA_SA_SA wrote:

This seems to be an upright A4 stove that was on dragons den due to its unnecessary(IMHO :) ) unique selling point:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tegstove-Holiday-Fishing-Caravan-Portable/dp/B06Y2FNJ7J/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tegstove&qid=1565108684&s=gateway&sr=8-3
it would take a long time to make back the cost savings on gas cartridges vs its price :) *

I was having a look for more info on this stove & found a link that Sports Direct have, at the time of typing this, some stock going for £38 (I must admit I'm tempted at that price).

https://www.sportsdirect.com/tegology-tegstove-787024
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Having decided that the bulk of the Alpkit Brukit didn’t suit my usage, I passed it on and replaced it with a Primus Lite Plus. It’s the smallest of the bunch and has some nice features, looks like its made to last and suits me perfectly.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:

I was having a look for more info on this stove & found a link that Sports Direct have, at the time of typing this, some stock going for £38 (I must admit I'm tempted at that price).

https://www.sportsdirect.com/tegology-tegstove-787024

Well a big percentage discount but I still wouldn't bother.

What attracts you to it?
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sweep wrote:What attracts you to it?

An intermediate sized stove that runs off a cheap gas supply - I have a Trangia (which is my usual "self-propelled" cooking kit) & Campingaz 907 (their largest refillable cylinder) powered gas cookers (plus a 3 way fridge).

It seems well made & the thermocouple power generation side is an interesting feature.

Note I said "tempted", I've not actually succumbed (yet). :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:What do you plan to use the whatever for on dayrides ph?
Making a cup of tea?

Yes, the Jetboil replaced a flask over a decade ago and I wouldn't go back. I'm not a fan of cafes unless it's to be sociable, I like my tea the way I make it and in a setting of my choice :wink:

Totally agree!
John
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

PH wrote:Having decided that the bulk of the Alpkit Brukit didn’t suit my usage, I passed it on and replaced it with a Primus Lite Plus. It’s the smallest of the bunch and has some nice features, looks like its made to last and suits me perfectly.

Please, your views on the Primus v Jetboil.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PH

Post by PH »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
PH wrote:Having decided that the bulk of the Alpkit Brukit didn’t suit my usage, I passed it on and replaced it with a Primus Lite Plus. It’s the smallest of the bunch and has some nice features, looks like its made to last and suits me perfectly.

Please, your views on the Primus v Jetboil.

I've not had a huge amount of use out of the Primus yet, no tours since I bought it and most longer rides have been in a group so used a cafe.
So about six day rides - call it first impressions - there's not a lot of difference, except the Primus is a good bit smaller, both the burner and the pot, the later a good or bad thing depending on your usage. The smaller burner also has pros and cons, the advantage is the size (Obviously :roll: ) The disadvantage is it doesn't have the plastic part between the burner and pot, this is useful to hold onto while disconnecting them. I prefer the attachment of the Primus, you don't have to line it up, easier in the dark! The Jetboil has a protector for the bottom of the pot which the Primus doesn't, this is also useful to stand the gas in a bit of water (It helps keep the mix consistent) I think the current Jetboil has a control that extends beyond the pot, this looks like a good idea, mine didn't and neither does the Primus.
For boiling water, if there's anything between them it's too small to notice, both fast and efficient. Jetboil also do a smaller version, the Micro, I was tempted by that though it's a good bit dearer than the Primus which is dearer than the standard jetboil £110/80/65 when i was looking.
To avoid confusion - I had the original Jetboil, when it was just called that, no other model name and the Primus I have is the Lite Plus.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks. For my own needs, and after reading your comments, I'll be going for the Jetboil.
Appreciated your views and experience. Many thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PH

Post by PH »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Thanks. For my own needs, and after reading your comments, I'll be going for the Jetboil.
Appreciated your views and experience. Many thanks

You're welcome, I doubt you'd have gone wrong with either, I didn't mention the build quality, it's good on both. There can't be many weeks I didn't use it over ten years, it was looking a bit battered at the end, but it had paid for itself 100's of times over in saved cafe costs, yes I am that tight!
Be interested in your impressions of it once you've had some use.