Cooking on small gas camp stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Cooking on small gas camp stoves

Postby horizon » 22 Sep 2019, 1:11pm

Sweep wrote:Don't you have to let the pan cool before soaking?

Good point - I had never considered it (I do follow the rule for glassware though). But in fact I eat from the pot using the handle to hold it so it's very cool by the time it goes in the washing bowl.

Just a couple of other reflections on porridge I had when camping twice since I last posted on this thread:

1. Porridge seems to be universally recommended as a low GI food which releases its energy slowly - perfect for cyclists.
2. It is a high fibre food - perfect for everyone.
3. It can be purchased organic - perfect for the soil.
4. It is a dry food and thus light to carry - perfect from a luggage weight POV.
5. It is very easy and quick to cook and doesn't require much fuel - perfect when cycle camping.
6. It can double up as an evening snack or even an emergency meal on a late arrival.
7. It is a hot food - perfect on chilly mornings when you need a warm start.
8. It is very versatile - as others have pointed out - and can be sweet or savoury.
9. It uses water not fat for cooking, so easier to clean the pot.
10. It is very cheap for what you get - perfect for misers such as myself.
11. It doesn't go off.

And, just to return to the subject of the thread - perfect for cooking on small gas camping stoves.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Sep 2019, 1:17pm

Unfortunately, I like my porridge with half milk/half water and some.cream. Messy washing up.
John

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 23 Sep 2019, 11:49am

horizon wrote:Just a couple of other reflections on porridge I had when camping twice since I last posted on this thread:

1. Porridge seems to be universally recommended as a low GI food which releases its energy slowly - perfect for cyclists.
2. It is a high fibre food - perfect for everyone.
3. It can be purchased organic - perfect for the soil.
4. It is a dry food and thus light to carry - perfect from a luggage weight POV.
5. It is very easy and quick to cook and doesn't require much fuel - perfect when cycle camping.
6. It can double up as an evening snack or even an emergency meal on a late arrival.
7. It is a hot food - perfect on chilly mornings when you need a warm start.
8. It is very versatile - as others have pointed out - and can be sweet or savoury.
9. It uses water not fat for cooking, so easier to clean the pot.
10. It is very cheap for what you get - perfect for misers such as myself.
11. It doesn't go off.

And, just to return to the subject of the thread - perfect for cooking on small gas camping stoves.

My wife can't abide the stuff, thobut.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

paddler

Postby paddler » 23 Sep 2019, 12:14pm

On a multi day hike I went from cooking and eating porridge in a pot to just putting cold water in the sachet and eating it!

On the same theme I went from having a brew first thing to just drinking water - stopped carrying tea at all and just had a few coffee sachets when I could get nice ones.

Dave