Cooking on small gas camp stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Cooking on small gas camp stoves

Postby horizon » 22 Sep 2019, 1:11pm

Sweep wrote:Don't you have to let the pan cool before soaking?

Good point - I had never considered it (I do follow the rule for glassware though). But in fact I eat from the pot using the handle to hold it so it's very cool by the time it goes in the washing bowl.

Just a couple of other reflections on porridge I had when camping twice since I last posted on this thread:

1. Porridge seems to be universally recommended as a low GI food which releases its energy slowly - perfect for cyclists.
2. It is a high fibre food - perfect for everyone.
3. It can be purchased organic - perfect for the soil.
4. It is a dry food and thus light to carry - perfect from a luggage weight POV.
5. It is very easy and quick to cook and doesn't require much fuel - perfect when cycle camping.
6. It can double up as an evening snack or even an emergency meal on a late arrival.
7. It is a hot food - perfect on chilly mornings when you need a warm start.
8. It is very versatile - as others have pointed out - and can be sweet or savoury.
9. It uses water not fat for cooking, so easier to clean the pot.
10. It is very cheap for what you get - perfect for misers such as myself.
11. It doesn't go off.

And, just to return to the subject of the thread - perfect for cooking on small gas camping stoves.
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Sep 2019, 1:17pm

Unfortunately, I like my porridge with half milk/half water and some.cream. Messy washing up.
John

Cycling and recycling

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 23 Sep 2019, 11:49am

horizon wrote:Just a couple of other reflections on porridge I had when camping twice since I last posted on this thread:

1. Porridge seems to be universally recommended as a low GI food which releases its energy slowly - perfect for cyclists.
2. It is a high fibre food - perfect for everyone.
3. It can be purchased organic - perfect for the soil.
4. It is a dry food and thus light to carry - perfect from a luggage weight POV.
5. It is very easy and quick to cook and doesn't require much fuel - perfect when cycle camping.
6. It can double up as an evening snack or even an emergency meal on a late arrival.
7. It is a hot food - perfect on chilly mornings when you need a warm start.
8. It is very versatile - as others have pointed out - and can be sweet or savoury.
9. It uses water not fat for cooking, so easier to clean the pot.
10. It is very cheap for what you get - perfect for misers such as myself.
11. It doesn't go off.

And, just to return to the subject of the thread - perfect for cooking on small gas camping stoves.

My wife can't abide the stuff, thobut.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

paddler

Postby paddler » 23 Sep 2019, 12:14pm

On a multi day hike I went from cooking and eating porridge in a pot to just putting cold water in the sachet and eating it!

On the same theme I went from having a brew first thing to just drinking water - stopped carrying tea at all and just had a few coffee sachets when I could get nice ones.

Dave