Sleeping mat woes

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nsew

Re: Sleeping mat woes

Post by nsew »

pjclinch wrote:The missus and I got NeoAirs a few years ago, initially to save weight/bulk but we found them more comfortable than our "normal" T-rests in any case. They've not given us any problems.

That’s because you don’t get out much, Pete.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

nsew wrote:How did you loose your Thermarest?

Just. Don't. Ask. Actually, back in 2012 I think it was, I managed the amazing feat of riding several miles without noticing that one of my panniers had fallen off. Went back to search but never found it. Made for an interesting rest of the trip.
nsew

Post by nsew »

nirakaro wrote:
nsew wrote:How did you loose your Thermarest?

Just. Don't. Ask. Actually, back in 2012 I think it was, I managed the amazing feat of riding several miles without noticing that one of my panniers had fallen off. Went back to search but never found it. Made for an interesting rest of the trip.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The side of the road meltdown must of been off the scale. In Mellun, a prison (1400s) town on the Seine south of Paris, I arrived at the Carrefour checkout and noticed the bike with all the kit was not where I’d left it (wheels cable locked together). Ran outside, nothing. Ran up the road, nothing. I was standing there entering meltdown phase, when I saw a head poking around a corner about 50 yds away. Just the head but instinctively knew my bike was with him. When I caught up with this fella he was reluctant to let go of his new found swag. It took a little gentle persuasion. He then proceeded to dig into his bag and pulled out a tiny penknife. So I persuaded him again. I now scoot around shops double quick.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Here’s our man fishing for the knife. At this point the bike is back in my possession but the wheels are still combination locked together. I have no choice but to re-engage with him.
Attachments
F0A58A14-9C02-40D5-874D-C414F92FBCBF.jpeg
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Any follow up feedback on how the Sea-to-Summit Ultralight is after some use?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Of the three Exped Downmats we have had, two have failed. The one Exped Synmat ultralight recently delaminated on a tour in Germany. So I went over to some Neoairs: two 7.5 cm Campers have been very good thus far (and very comfortable). These are not the lightest, but clearly also more robust. Last summer I also bought a Neoair Allseason, but it delaminated on the first night. TR replaced it, but that mattress had a leak which they then repaired. It is fine thus far.
In essence, I think the somewhat heavier Neoairs are probably the best bet, and Thermarest service is excellent. Thermarest have also just changed their Neoair lineup pretty extensively with two thicker and still not ueber heavy mattresses (one of them 10 cm at only 650 gram!). They have also ditched that strange and heavy speedvalve system, in favour of a new twinlock valve (sadly only compatible with a new battery pump).
Last edited by willem jongman on 10 Feb 2020, 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Sooper8 wrote:Any follow up feedback on how the Sea-to-Summit Ultralight is after some use?

So far so good - though it didn't get more than a few nights use last year. It's light, easy to in- and de-flate, and reasonably comfortable. I'm planning to use it quite a bit come the spring, and I'll come back and tell you in due course.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Thermarest 'Basecamp': 13 years, and counting, no problems at all to date.

At least 120 days under canvas (or whatever) each year, plus one of the grandkids sleeps on it when visiting.

Happy days,
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Morzedec wrote:Thermarest 'Basecamp': 13 years, and counting, no problems at all to date.
Happy days,

Yes, I've got one of those, and love it. Sleep on it out in the garden in summer. Not exactly lightweight though - I wouldn't take it with me on a cycle tour.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

nirakaro wrote:
Morzedec wrote:Thermarest 'Basecamp': 13 years, and counting, no problems at all to date.
Happy days,

Yes, I've got one of those, and love it. Sleep on it out in the garden in summer. Not exactly lightweight though - I wouldn't take it with me on a cycle tour.

Fits nicely into the trailer - and yes, it weighs almost a ton, but does mean that I can sleep at night without rolling off, as I do with smaller mats - I'm as wide as the Basecamp, you see.

Happy days,
Attachments
Bois Clair tunnel, northern entrance.  16th August 2013.jpg
Somewhere north of Toulouse.jpg
Remorque x 2.jpg
Moissac, on the Canal du Midi.  27th August 2013.JPG
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Morzedec wrote:
nirakaro wrote:
Happy days,

Fits nicely into the trailer - and yes, it weighs almost a ton, but does mean that I can sleep at night without rolling off, as I do with smaller mats - I'm as wide as the Basecamp, you see.

Happy days,

have you given any thought to maybe taking a little less gear :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh, wheres that pvc white table fit :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

foxyrider wrote:
Morzedec wrote:
nirakaro wrote:Yes, I've got one of those, and love it. Sleep on it out in the garden in summer. Not exactly lightweight though - I wouldn't take it with me on a cycle tour.

Happy days,

have you given any thought to maybe taking a little less gear :lol:

Why? As explained previously I'm pretty tall and heavy, and 74 this year, so why not have a little comfort? My tours are usually about a month in length, so I carry enough to cover the eventualities: Whilst on the road I've had seven days of solid rain before, so plenty of/a variety of clothes becomes important: spares to cover most eventualities, food and drink, stove and fuel, all adds up, but I'm well used to it and it's not a problem.

Whilst younger I did far more B & B touring, at a time when it was economical to do so, but these days? - paying sixty quid a night is just not possible, so I wild-camp whenever possible.

I'll put a pic up, from a time when I was younger, and you will see just how light I travelled at that time.

Happy days,
Attachments
The summer of 1986 - Land's End to John O'Groats - 876 miles done in 6 days!.jpg
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Nice pic!
I like that little statue you carried on top of your saddlebag. Plastic for lightness, I presume? (bit early for carbon-fibre …)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

My way to deal with the challenges of getting older (I am 67) is to take less weight. It is, of course, a very personal choice (we all have different preferences and circumstances).The big difference with the times I was younger is that I have less muscle strength; that primarily matters when I am climbing, and not when I ride along a canal. Taking less costs some money, but really not necessarily that much. It mostly takes will power and experience to achieve it without losing comfort. At the end of this month I will give presentations at the annual hiking and cycling fair in Utrecht in the Netherlands (some 20,000 visitors). My theme will be lightweight cycle touring on a tight budget.