For a 1 week tour (wild camping) ... How much does your bike weigh?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
dim

For a 1 week tour (wild camping) ... How much does your bike weigh?

Post by dim »

Reason that I'm asking is that I am in the process of deciding which wheelset to have built, and I'm planning a solo wild camping/fishing tour in Ireland along the coast. I'm tyring to figure out what rims and spoke amount to use (I will have dynamo lighting aswell)

I weigh 73Kg and my bike (1985 Miyata 1000 )weighs 12.6kg and I have no idea what weight a tent/sleeping bag, etc etc will weigh when packed (I'm planning on using 2 Orlieb rear Pannier bags (70 litre total) ....

I have a front rack aswell with low rider attachments but I don't want to add front pannier bags

my current wheels are 1980's Araia rims (40 spokes front and 40 spokes in the rear)
dnrc

Re: For a 1 week tour (wild camping) ... How much does your bike weigh?

Post by dnrc »

why are you having new wheels built?

what's wrong with the current ones?
nsew

Post by nsew »

A fresh wheel set on that Miyata will be very nice. Spring to 130 or possibly 135 oln. 36/36 Velocity Dyad, Sapim Race, 105/LX hubs. Whoosh! You’ll be at around 4kg with tent, bag, mat. Split front and rear on platform racks. I much prefer Super Cs to Ortliebs. Tough, breathable, far more versatile and ants don’t climb them. British too.
dim

Post by dim »

dnrc wrote:why are you having new wheels built?

I wish to use dynamo lighting and I'm looking at rims that can use tubeless tyres
dim

Post by dim »

nsew wrote:A fresh wheel set on that Miyata will be very nice. Spring to 130 or possibly 135 oln. 36/36 Velocity Dyad, Sapim Race, 105/LX hubs. Whoosh! You’ll be at around 4kg with tent, bag, mat. Split front and rear on platform racks. I much prefer Super Cs to Ortliebs. Tough, breathable, far more versatile and ants don’t climb them. British too.

thanks .... I will look closely at your recomendations
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'd work on 20 Kg extra.
You'll probably be under this if you pack light.
But it's a nice round number to work with.

Luck ........ :D
honesty

Post by honesty »

20kg sounds about right for my fully loaded camping kit and food, water, etc.
PH

Post by PH »

Bike 14kg, camping kit 12kg, rider 100kg.
36 spoke well built wheels for derailleurs and 32 on a Rohloff and front. The only rim I've had a problem with was a Rigida Grizzly with a Rohloff, same rims have been fine on other hubs and other rims fine on same hub. Rims that have lasted till they wore out - Mavic A319, DRC 19, Sputnik, Exal LX17.. I've maybe forgotten a couple. Dynamo hubs from SON and SP, other hubs, Campag, Shimano LX and XT, Hope, no problems. Well built with enough spokes and you're likely to be fine whatever the rim and hub.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

dim wrote:
dnrc wrote:why are you having new wheels built?

I wish to use dynamo lighting and I'm looking at rims that can use tubeless tyres

I would have thought most tubeless specific rims are only available with disc braked bikes, but I might be wrong. I am guessing your bike being older is rim braked.

I would forget tubeless rims on your bike and just go for a pair of hand built 36h spoked wheels which will be more than adequate for what you need. You are not that heavy. Maybe Spa cycles or SJS can build you a set. I would budget for £175-300 depending on your choice of rim and hubs. Might be as well to consider the condition and suitability of your bicycle's transmission at the same time.

40 spoke count wheels on a normal bike would be for seriously heavy riders, I mean bigggg, or if you were using them on a tandem.

As I am sure you can appreciate there are so many variables influencing the weight of a bicycle and the weight of items placed on it dependent on where the terrain and when time of year you will be riding and other requirements specific to you. If you are planning to wild camp and fish then how about a trailer to carry both your cycling and fishing gear, plus tent, sleeping and cooking gear and food? Ireland can be pretty wet so you will no doubt be carrying wet weather gear. You might find that just rear panniers is not sufficient space. Maybe you have a rack pack bag on top of them with other stuff in. Can be done but it puts alot of strain on the back wheel with you as well. It may also make the 'handling' of your bike interesting to say the least.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
dim

Post by dim »

Thanks for the replies ...

I think that I have settled on the rims and I am looking very closely at the Astral Leviathan rims in 36/36 :

https://wheelbuilder.com/astral-leviathan-leviathan-disc-rim/

these are good for Tandem/touring according to the link, plus they are tubeless rims (and they have the little ridge which some tubeless ready rims don't have)

Front Hub will be the SONdelux Wide-Body

Rear hub (I'm still deciding as I want to keep the rear spacing at 126mm .... there are some new tourings hubs still avaialable in 126mm such as the Dia-Compe ENE Touring rear hub) .... Reason that I wish to keep it at 126mm is that in the future, I may wish to enter a L'Eroica ride and I will keep the original wheelset for such occasions ... I have the original Miyata radial tyres from the 1980's and they are still brand new .... I also have the original pedals with the Miyata toestraps. The bike is currently 5 spped with a triple crankset.

The bike is in mint condition, was hardly ridden and was stored in the previous owners study since 1985

all that I have changed so far is I've changed the original saddle to a Brooks Cambium C17 carved saddle, added a brass Crane bell and changed the tyres to Continental GP5000 in 32's, and had a full service/new cables etc

The mudguards are a tight fit (original Miyata mudguards), and I've ordered the Honjo H47 hammered mudguards which will allow me to use tyres such as Panaracer Gravel King SL in 38's (tubeless version)

I weigh 73kg, bike weighs 12.6kg (with no pannier bags etc), and I'm guessing that for a tour with wild camping, luggage/panier bags etc could weigh as much as 20kg? (I'm just guessing)

so add that up, and we get a total of 105.6 Kg .... add poor roads/potholes etc and you will need a decent strong set of rims ... Initially I was keen on the HED Belgium Plus rims as I have them on my other bike, but they are only rated for 105kg and max spoke count is 32

I'm leaning towards the 36/36 build because I've read that when using the Son Dynamo hub, it's better to use a higher spoke count (add that to the fact that I may use pannier bags on the front wheel)

looking at these guys on tour, the luggage looks heavy:

[youtube]kQ1QcBr5Dmw[/youtube]

so basically, I'm looking at rims that are good for 120-130kg .... thats the way I see it at the moment
PH

Post by PH »

You've linked to a disc rim? Is that what you meant to do?
Also why the need to go for something exotic and unheard of? Instead of something easily available to your wheelbuilder of choice. Tubeless isn't something that interests me, though I know a couple of people running them, of those DT Swiss TK540 seems a reliable rim that would fit your criteria.
dim

Post by dim »

PH wrote:You've linked to a disc rim? Is that what you meant to do?
Also why the need to go for something exotic and unheard of? Instead of something easily available to your wheelbuilder of choice. Tubeless isn't something that interests me, though I know a couple of people running them, of those DT Swiss TK540 seems a reliable rim that would fit your criteria.

there's 2 versions of the rims' .... rim brakes and dic brakes ...

I like the DT SwissTK540 ..,. they are very strong wheels and I've seen many posts on forums where people praise them .... sadly, they are not tubeless ready

I've been using tubeless tyres on my road bikes for a few years now and by having tubeless ready rims, it allows the option to use both normal clinchers and tubeless tyres
PH

Post by PH »

dim wrote:I like the DT SwissTK540 ..,. they are very strong wheels and I've seen many posts on forums where people praise them .... sadly, they are not tubeless ready

I'd better tell the person running tubless on them for the last couple of years....
dim

Post by dim »

PH wrote:
dim wrote:I like the DT SwissTK540 ..,. they are very strong wheels and I've seen many posts on forums where people praise them .... sadly, they are not tubeless ready

I'd better tell the person running tubless on them for the last couple of years....

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/trekking/tk-540/

https://wheelbuilder.com/dt-swiss-tk-540-rim/

both links say its not tubeless, However Malcolm from Cycle Clinic says it tubeless compatable:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/dt-swiss-tk540-touring-wheels-rim-brake-or-disc-brake

??
PH

Post by PH »

Don't know, his bike is a Thorn and came with them from new.