Chinese Lightweight 1 person Tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foreversummer

Chinese Lightweight 1 person Tent

Post by foreversummer »

Does anyone have experience of this tent? It is available on EBay and Aliexpress

http://desertwalkeroutdoor.com/product-detail-34
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Chinese Lightweight 1 person Tent

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I see the Chinese have moved into lightweight tents now.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Check on Youtube for reviews. There are many outdoors videos, especially from the US that review these types of tents.
hamster

Post by hamster »

NO WAY is that a 4 season tent, for a start because it has a mesh inner. Secondly there appear to be no guys and thirdly because I simply wouldn't trust those pole junctions. Based on that I would be unwilling to beleive their other claims.

You can get very close in weight with a Wild Country Zephyros for less money.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

HobbesOnTour wrote:Check on Youtube for reviews. There are many outdoors videos, especially from the US that review these types of tents.

The trouble with most Youtube reviews is that they are of the new item being unpacked and looked at, rather than after a useful period of in real use testing.

Looking at the posted link, I'd be of the opinion that it would be too short for me. The inner length is quoted as 215 cm, but that will be at ground level, and it looks like the end walls aren't close to vertical and that you'd lose 15 to 20 cm of usable length at each end by the time you allow for 6-7 cm of air mat and a body.

It looks to be a copy of the MSR Hubba NX solo, or seconds of it sold on from the factory.
Given that the MSR is rrp $380, and the Chinese version is $320, I'd pay the extra for warranty issue reasons.

American "4-season" tends to mean that it will stand up to a reasonable snow loading with light winds, rather than the cold blowing in under the edges of the outer and through the inner that a UK user would worry about.
foreversummer

Post by foreversummer »

There are no you tube reviews of this tent

The Hubba NX Solo and this tent are no where near in price

The cheapest available hubba NX solo in the U.K. is £289, the Chinese version is £103, I know you only get what you pay for, but I was just asking if anyone had any experience of using this tent

4F8A6FB5-F722-48CF-8448-D19F683A97BA.png

32D16409-AB16-4DE3-8820-DC5C07B4E6C9.png
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

foreversummer wrote:There are no you tube reviews of this tent

The Hubba NX Solo and this tent are no where near in price

The cheapest available hubba NX solo in the U.K. is £289, the Chinese version is £103, I know you only get what you pay for, but I was just asking if anyone had any experience of using this tent

4F8A6FB5-F722-48CF-8448-D19F683A97BA.png

32D16409-AB16-4DE3-8820-DC5C07B4E6C9.png

That chinese tent at £103 and the one in your initial post are not the same tent.
foreversummer

Post by foreversummer »

Sorry my mistake the EBay listing is for the 2 person double door tent but it is the same company ‘desert walker’and therefore it is still very lightweight and very cheap. It may not be as good quality as the high end tents you can get but it would only be for occasional use, it would be nice to find someone who has actually bought and used a tent by this company
hamster

Post by hamster »

andrew_s wrote:It looks to be a copy of the MSR Hubba NX solo, or seconds of it sold on from the factory.
Given that the MSR is rrp $380, and the Chinese version is $320, I'd pay the extra for warranty issue reasons.

This 'seconds from the factory' thing is largely a myth. It's a copy, doubtless using cheaper, lower-spec materials. Look at the little y-poles in the direct comparison - they are a different length to the MSR.
The claims of hydrostatic head are also not to be trusted. If somebody is in the knock-off business then they don't care about the customer apart from his money.

Personally, in the middle of a storm I wouldn't want to explore the full extent of the corners that have been cut in cost.
Light, strong, cheap, pick two. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If you really want to understand this world, read the book 'Poorly Made in China' by an industry insider.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bonefishblues wrote:I see the Chinese have moved into lightweight tents now.

AFAIK only Hilleberg* are still made outside of China - all lightweight plastic tents are effectively Chinese. My advice to the OP would be to buy a Chinese-made Vango (or a comparable brand). They are of excellent quality and design (IMV) but of course made to a price. As mentioned above, you also have all the assurance of a local (or UK Ebay) retailer and UK "manufacturer".

*There may be others but I don't know of them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Agree with you horizon.

Have bought camping bits from china.

Wouldn't dream of buying a tent.

There would also be customs and duty issues.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

horizon wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I see the Chinese have moved into lightweight tents now.

AFAIK only Hilleberg* are still made outside of China - all lightweight plastic tents are effectively Chinese. My advice to the OP would be to buy a Chinese-made Vango (or a comparable brand). They are of excellent quality and design (IMV) but of course made to a price. As mentioned above, you also have all the assurance of a local (or UK Ebay) retailer and UK "manufacturer".

*There may be others but I don't know of them.

I meant under plain cover, as it were.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It looks remarkably like an MSR Hubba. It is very probably a knock off. One of the things you'll get from a Big Name is a certain degree of QA which means you can trust it. With a knock off they might have done a good job, or they might have done a terrible one, or anything in between. The main point with a knock-off is it has to appear similar, and that's where the effort will have gone. If I'm in the middle of nowhere on a nasty night I want to be able to trust it. If you don't mind you can choose the other way, but I wouldn't touch it.

IME the devil tends to be in the detail with tents. That's the sort of detail the likes of MSR will have taken a lot of care and testing over, and a knock-off operation won't.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote:AFAIK only Hilleberg* are still made outside of China - all lightweight plastic tents are effectively Chinese.

No shortage of small operations still make gear close to where they're notionally based. Tarptents are made in Seattle, TrekkerTent in Scotland, for example.
Last edited by pjclinch on 27 Jun 2019, 3:20pm, edited 2 times in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...