Solid shampoo bar

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Solid shampoo bar

Post by foxyrider »

Hi all
do people use the bar directly or 'shavings'? If the latter what do you use to make the shavings?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mike Sales

Re: Solid shampoo bar

Post by Mike Sales »

foxyrider wrote:Hi all
do people use the bar directly or 'shavings'? If the latter what do you use to make the shavings?

I often use ordinary soap which I just rub on my hair and beard.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
softlips

Post by softlips »

I use a solid shampoo bar from lush as for washing my and everywhere else.

I stay in hotels two to three nights a week and for ten years have only used hotel supplied toiletries. I recently decided to use less plastic hence the move to solid shampoo. I just lather it up like conventional soap.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Patrick Stewart haircut does make some things a lot easier... :wink:
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Like softlips, we switched to save plastic at home, and use the oat one from Lush. I just rub the bar across my hair a couple of time, then lather like any other shampoo, not only does it reduce plastic I find it better for my scalp,
I tend not to use on the rest of my body and use a different soap for hat, as the Shampoo bar seems to be low Tallow/glycerine so is quite drying.
NUKe

Post by Oldjohnw »

We fairly recently switched and now buy stuff from Peace with the Wild or &keep (friendly soap). They do a huge range of non plastic products.
John
climo

Post by climo »

Tried one but it seemed to not last long and leave my flowing locks with a stiff residue. Maybe I was using too much but I did wash it out thoroughly. Good idea for touring though so I'll try it again.
I switched back to a concentrated liquid.
hufty

Post by hufty »

+1 for Friendly Soap shampoo bars. They are much less scented than any Lush product except the tins although this may or may not be an advantage for the cycle tourist. The last Lush shampoo bar I bought had bits in it (flax seeds? goji berries? teasel buds?) which I thought was a bad idea in the shop and yes had to be picked out of my hair.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
hufty

Post by hufty »

And in answer to the original question just use the bars as they are, or get a lather up in your hands then transfer that to your head.
hufty

Post by hufty »

And my third and final comment on this important subject:

Mrs Hufty, who has more and longer hair than me, reports that she doesn't like shampoo bars at all as she definitely has to use a conditioner afterwards to get her hair feeling like it would do normally. Which explains why the bars last so long at home...
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I use the bar direct.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
softlips

Post by softlips »

The one I use is called Honey I washed my hair and causes no dryness etc.
AMC

Post by AMC »

I use a coconut solid shampoo ( can't remember the name but got it in local wholefood shop, brown cardboard packaging - Amphora brand?) It's very good, lasts for ever & doesn't dry my hair or skin out at all. It crumbles but I just squashed the lumps into a small screw-top tin. Light, handy & miraculously doesn't leak even when wet. (I smear the stuff onto my hair straight from the tin...)