Any Esbit / Solid Fuel users?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
1982john

Any Esbit / Solid Fuel users?

Post by 1982john »

Looking at trying out this Esbit
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Esbit-Titanium ... B073QW66X9

Heard a few reports of bad smell and residue but others say its fine.
landsurfer

Re: Any Esbit / Solid Fuel users?

Post by landsurfer »

Is the fuel block Hexamine based ?.... if so avoid ... As any British Serviceman or Woman will tell you .... dangerous fumes, smell, also the thermal exchange is poor ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

landsurfer wrote:Is the fuel block Hexamine based ?.... if so avoid ... As any British Serviceman or Woman will tell you .... dangerous fumes, smell, also the thermal exchange is poor ..

Yea I think they said dont use it in a tent vestibule outside should be fine
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I tried it once but found it slow and smelly - a bit like trying to cook on a firelighter.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

pedalsheep wrote:I tried it once but found it slow and smelly - a bit like trying to cook on a firelighter.

It does look a bit like that in the videos. Maybe best to avoid
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

1982john wrote:Looking at trying out this Esbit

Why? Surely there’s got to be a better way to achieve your objective. Looks expensive for what it is too.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Works OK, kept one for years in a pack as an emergency brew kit. A Trangia mini is probably rather better.
It HAS to be dug in (cut a 15cm square of turf out) or have a windshield otherwise nothing will happen.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a few brands of tab fuels available iirc. I seem to recall one is better than the others.

IME they do not burn well, need windshield to get the heat to the pot and often goes out of finishes burning with plenty of gunk left in the tray.

IMHO buy one bit only as an UL backup with a few tabs. Emergency kit only.

Trangia mini? Personally I'd prefer the esbit stove. Used one once (clone that was actually better quality) and never again. That 4 day trip was spent without joy drinks because I couldn't be bothered waiting for it to boil up again. I had to bother with it for food but drinking I drank water instead.

Promises a lot but delivers nothing without a secondary windshield. IMHO with that flaw you're better off with simple meths burners and the same windshield.

These days for cycle touring and car camping we use the larger trangia for 2-4 person use with a gas stove conversion (primus made - the best stove brand IMHO).

To the op there's better stove options. Depends on trip style. Longer trips with fewer stock up opportunities a caldera cone stove is good. Other trips a can type is OK. Or the high quality whitebox stove. Triad from vargo are OK but not that efficient. Stable and tough though.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I carry a back up pack of dragon fire fuel gel tablets.... can even use as antiseptic wash and none nasty for the body :)
I use in my storming stove placed inside a bottom of an old aluminum fuel bottle cut down to suit which also goes inside my mug....
Pete... I think
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

1982john wrote:Looking at trying out this Esbit

Heard a few reports of bad smell and residue but others say its fine.

£15 for that? bonkers :shock:
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It's light and convenient. But makes a lot of sooth in the pots/pans. I have two pieces double sealed (smells terribly) as emergency backup, because it only needs a non-burning surface (i.e. a small rock) and not a proper stove.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...