Dog free campsites

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Dog free campsites

Post by robing »

Anyone know of a list of dog free campsites, or shall we start one? Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but for anyone camping in a tent they can be a pain - fouling, I've seen people letting them pee up tents, and can be noisy.
Paulatic

Re: Dog free campsites

Post by Paulatic »

Noooo. Don’t get me or Mrs P started on that subject. Until recently we’ve always caravanned with a dog so we aren’t anti dog at all but some of their owners leave a lot to be desired.
Its perfectly possible to keep your dog on your pitch and perfectly possible to walk it from there to the dog area or outside without it doing any of its jobs. You see some owners amble with dog on long lead and letting it sniff here, there and everywhere and then let them pee or whatever. Do that on our pitch and you’ll get a knock on the window and glare. Funny how it doesn’t happen again next time they pass. We might be unpopular but are we bothered?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
whoof

Post by whoof »

Paulatic wrote:
Its perfectly possible to keep your dog on your pitch and perfectly possible to walk it from there to the dog area or outside without it doing any of its jobs.?

It's also perfectly possible to go camping without;

Getting drunk and talking (which is more like shouting), playing music or singing into the night.

Driving your car around 'after-hours' or unnecessarily such as from your tent to the toilet block.

Having your children run around unsupervised screaming and shouting.

But for some reason there are people who struggle with this and if they have a dog they can't seem to be able to control that either. I've found that behaviour is a lot better in French campsites than it is in UK ones.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

whoof wrote:...
Having your children run around unsupervised screaming and shouting......

Or running across your own pitch, tripping on guy lines and knocking out tent pegs, or stomping on your solar panel, etc.

I've hardly camped in the UK but the issue of out of control kids I've experienced is worst in France early in school holidays where many kids are being taken by grandparents and I assume letting the kids run out-of-control with complete freedom means kids are happy and enjoy going away with grandparents ...

Last couple of months (France, Germany & Netherlands) I didn't have any issues with dogs other than noticed some old dog poo up by a fence on one campsite.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We are CC and C&CC members and find all the above observations less of a problem on member only sites. Also I would say those children there with grandparents are often a lot better behaved than those with some parents. Especially those parents there for barbecue and booze.
There are child free sites and there are also dog free sites admittedly few and far between.
Going camping without a dog has never, until recently, been an option.
a) I would never put a dog into kennels
b) they would never allow my dogs into kennels as none have ever been vaccinated.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
whoof

Post by whoof »

Psamathe wrote:
whoof wrote:...
Having your children run around unsupervised screaming and shouting......

Or running across your own pitch, tripping on guy lines and knocking out tent pegs, or stomping on your solar panel, etc.

I've hardly camped in the UK but the issue of out of control kids I've experienced is worst in France early in school holidays where many kids are being taken by grandparents and I assume letting the kids run out-of-control with complete freedom means kids are happy and enjoy going away with grandparents ...

Last couple of months (France, Germany & Netherlands) I didn't have any issues with dogs other than noticed some old dog poo up by a fence on one campsite.

Ian

I must have avoided the children by camping in France in June.
I can't recall a single drunk person on a French campsite.
We go to Majorca every year and stay in a hotel/resort with very few Brits. In 10 years the only drunk shouty people (including the teenage so of one family vomiting in the cooridor whilst waiting for the lift to go down to breakfast) I've come across have been British.
robing

Post by robing »

Reading this thread makes me realise why I like wild camping.
whoof

Post by whoof »

robing wrote:Reading this thread makes me realise why I like wild camping.

Which is what I do most frequently in the UK. The occasional owl hoot or perhaps fox bark(?).
Edit Could also be the answer to the OP.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

whoof wrote:I can't recall a single drunk person on a French campsite.

We had a terrible night in the Alet campsite at St. Malo last month. Not my favourite campsite as it can be busy and noisy, this confirmed my opinion.

The shouting started well before midnight on and off, more like drunken loud singing, got steadily worse, got very angry, involved a couple others and went on and on. One main couple seemed to be involved.

I stayed inside the tent but was partly dressed and ready incase something happened. Blue flashing lights arrived and the situation seemed to diffuse then exploded again, only went quiet by about 1:30am!! Of course even after things went quiet I was unable to sleep.

Unfortunately we had to be up at 4:30 am to check in for an early morning ferry. We packed and left very quietly, I bet many had a long lie in that morning.

Regarding dogs - I really do not want dogs near me on a campsite, but, so far, where they have been present they seemed to be well controlled. The excellent site in Gouarec run by Bretonbikes had quite a lot of dogs last month but fortunately the dogs didn't seem to cause trouble.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Never really had a problem. Snoring people mind you...

I reckon if you pitch on ‘holiday’ sites you’ll have more of a problem. Campsites in areas where people are active always seem quieter.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

You can filter the results on ukcampsite (https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/) for various features including no dogs allowed after selecting the area that you are interested in.

Also when doing a review on this forum anyone could mention special features such as no dogs allowed.