Camping Websites

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Malky 1422

Camping Websites

Post by Malky 1422 »

Are there any web sites I can browse for camp sites? Thinking of a tour around Northumberland or Suffolk /Norfolk, All I get is sites with high starting prices for 2 people no mention of cost for a single lone tent pitch and one person, France is much better and cheaper for camping that cater for cyclists. Must say I am dismayed these days for cycletouring I remember when it was so easy to pack up and just go via YHA now thats expensive with big gaps between hostels and many include breakfast I do not want, I would wild camp but I couldnt do without a shower.
richardfm

Re: Camping Websites

Post by richardfm »

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ is useful. If you join the Camping and Caravanning Club then you can use their Certified Locations, these are small basic sites.
Richard M
Cardiff
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

http://www.archiescampings.eu/ provide a big list of campsites all over Europe incl. UK. It's in .gpx and other formats so you have to download the list and display it in your own app/mapping system. Extensive but does not give prices.

They do have an iPhone/iPad app and probably an Android app. The iPhone one is old and needs an update but it works (mostly) and does download the latest lists so list is up-to-date even though app is a bit "old".

Ian
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The Backpackers Club have a farm pitch list which has a lot of cheaper sites. Look them up.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

Thanks all for these replies so far, I will look into them all. :)
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

I have had a brief look and will search more later, but I am finding prices for tent with just me still around £20 per night at many just found one at £10 Hadrians Wall, These prices at £20 are too high for a few lenthy stays at places now I am retired and not exactly the well healed type, May as well look at Hostels what few are left, (Wish I could live in France)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Can't you reconcile yourself to a flannel bath?
A bowl of hot water and a flannel, in the tent, and you can clean yourself quite well.
Something like a hospital bed bath.
It could cut down on the need for showers and camp sites anyway.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PH

Post by PH »

Malky 1422 wrote:I have had a brief look and will search more later, but I am finding prices for tent with just me still around £20 per night at many just found one at £10 Hadrians Wall, These prices at £20 are too high for a few lenthy stays at places now I am retired and not exactly the well healed type, May as well look at Hostels what few are left, (Wish I could live in France)

Are you just looking at the websites or are you talking to them? Many will do a backpackers/cyclist rate that they don't publicise. I have an upper limit of £10 a night and usually find somewhere without too much trouble, though I'm happy to camp off site if I don't.
If you're planning on doing a lot, it's worth looking into the clubs with their own sites, it isn't something I know a lot about - I looked into the Caravan and Camping Club a few years ago, you needed to be using them a fair bit to recoup your membership fee (I think at the time about 10 nights) but more then that and the savings were considerable.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have been been quoted some bonkers prices, one from a place which later dropped the price steeply, after I had sent a polite but incredulous email reply to their first quote. But by then I had lost interest.
Has anyone ever turned up of a late afternoon/early evening, asked for a price and then if not happy politely offered a tenner? Have the impression that many of us are a resourceful lot and could quite easily find a freecamp if they weren't forthcoming.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:Has anyone ever turned up of a late afternoon/early evening, asked for a price and then if not happy politely offered a tenner? Have the impression that many of us are a resourceful lot and could quite easily find a freecamp if they weren't forthcoming.

A few times, something along the lines of "For my little tent I usually pay about £5" sometimes it works, others have a fixed price list they can't or won't alter, so yes I'll move on. Not falling out with them, they have a business to run and it's up to them how they run it. If it was early in the day high season I wouldn't expect them to give me a pitch for half the price they might get for it later.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote:If it was early in the day high season I wouldn't expect them to give me a pitch for half the price they might get for it later.
True, with delineated pitches, but where the site is just open ground I might ask.
PH wrote:Many will do a backpackers/cyclist rate that they don't publicise.
That is also my experience - as above on sites which are just open ground.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PH wrote:Are you just looking at the websites or are you talking to them? Many will do a backpackers/cyclist rate that they don't publicise. I have an upper limit of £10 a night and usually find somewhere without too much trouble, though I'm happy to camp off site if I don't.
If you're planning on doing a lot, it's worth looking into the clubs with their own sites, it isn't something I know a lot about - I looked into the Caravan and Camping Club a few years ago, you needed to be using them a fair bit to recoup your membership fee (I think at the time about 10 nights) but more then that and the savings were considerable.

The Camping and Caravan Club sites all offer a "backpacker's rate" for walkers and cyclists. It's usually something like £8-£11 for non-members, and around £2.50 less for members.
That member discount isn't really enough to cover the ~£40 membership for someone limited to normal holidays from work, but may be worthwhile for those with more camping time available, and it's definitely worthwhile for caravans/motorhomes and large car-camping tents, where the financial return time can be more like 5 nights.
If I joined, it would be for access to the small "Certificated Locations". Some of these will take non-members if you turn up and ask, but you can't rely on it, and finding out beforehand isn't simple.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Plus you can't always know where they are without that list, other than by just riding past them of course. Many are not marked on maps.

The Backpackers Club looks as if it might be worthwhile, at half the price of the Camping & Caravan Club, so thanks for the tip, bikepacker.

What I do is often plan a route in cycle.travel then use the drop down menu to select camping near to the route. Clicking on the icons links to the name of the campsite and it's a simple job to google them.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The Backpackers Club looks as if it might be worthwhile, at half the price of the Camping & Caravan Club, so thanks for the tip, bikepacker.

They also have a footpath campsite list for walkers on many of the long distance paths. Even so I have stayed at some as a cycle camper and have never been turned away.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

These YHA offer camping at resonable prices that also includes use of the facilities for "free"

https://www.yha.org.uk/camping-and-cabi ... 7F,PH3Q7,1

There is only one in Suffolk - Blaxhall