Tent run over at campsite

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
whoof

Tent run over at campsite

Post by whoof »

Whenever I've seen/heard motor vehicles driving at night in campsites I wondered about the possibility of this especially when you're in a small, possibly green backpacking tent and the person in the car is coming back from the pub.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/c ... ailsignout
Tangled Metal

Re: Tent run over at campsite

Post by Tangled Metal »

Especially on sloping sites and cars with dodgy handbrake. We always bear that in mind when picking a plot for our tent.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This description takes the cake

We were called on Monday 19 August at approximately 02:02 am to reports of a collision between a vehicle and a tent in Caernarfon
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
1982john

Post by 1982john »

In this country, I would not be at all surprised if the driver gets off with diminished responsibility because the tent did not have the proper lights or not adorned in hi-vis.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Vorpal wrote:This description takes the cake

We were called on Monday 19 August at approximately 02:02 am to reports of a collision between a vehicle and a tent in Caernarfon

Someone did some analysis on how language was used in the reporting of road traffic collisions in the media. In the case of pedestrian/car it will say ped in collision with car. In the case of ped/bike it will say ped hit by cyclists.
Two things; firstly one makes it sound as if the ped in some way ran into the car. The second is more subtle, it's the car and not the driver that did it but it wasn't the bike it was the person riding it.

I read an article saying an elderly lady had got herself stuck under a car after being in collision with it. You know what these old biddys are like, running into cars and then jamming themselves underneath them.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

whoof wrote:Whenever I've seen/heard motor vehicles driving at night in campsites I wondered about the possibility of this especially when you're in a small, possibly green backpacking tent and the person in the car is coming back from the pub.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/c ... ailsignout

This has happened a few times before I believe, I seem to remember a similar incident a decade or so ago, maybe in Norway or somewhere.

Also other camping dangers :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 89256.html

https://www.thelocal.de/20170802/severe ... ng-one-boy

Plus all the usual animal related dangers, bears, etc.
james01

Post by james01 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49411705
Driver charged. Some injuries, one serious.
I have a "thing" about camping with motor vehicles in the same area, and try to use sites where they are segregated from lightweight campers.

Years ago I spent a very uneasy night at a poorly-regulated surfers' campsite - cars hurtling in at 4 am from beach parties, engines revving, handbrake turns etc.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

A few years ago a BBC News Scotland web page reported that a pier had collided with a CalMac ferry... Unfortunately it was corrected before I thought of taking a screenshot.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

whoof wrote:

Someone did some analysis on how language was used in the reporting of road traffic collisions in the media. In the case of pedestrian/car it will say ped in collision with car. In the case of ped/bike it will say ped hit by cyclists.
Two things; firstly one makes it sound as if the ped in some way ran into the car. The second is more subtle, it's the car and not the driver that did it but it wasn't the bike it was the person riding it.

I read an article saying an elderly lady had got herself stuck under a car after being in collision with it. You know what these old biddys are like, running into cars and then jamming themselves underneath them.

Similarly when they say the pedestrian 'broke their arm'..... No the car hitting them broke their arm :evil:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

james01 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49411705
I have a "thing" about camping with motor vehicles in the same area, and try to use sites where they are segregated from lightweight campers.

Years ago I spent a very uneasy night at a poorly-regulated surfers' campsite - cars hurtling in at 4 am from beach parties, engines revving, handbrake turns etc.

I haven't done much camping - and most of it was waaaay back, and we always drove. So I hadn't thought about this issue.

What you say seems like good advice!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

1982john wrote:In this country, I would not be at all surprised if the driver gets off with diminished responsibility because the tent did not have the proper lights or not adorned in hi-vis.

And the campers weren't wearing helmets :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

He must have crashed off the road into the campsite as he's been charged with having no insurance. The campsite is private property so no insurance required for driving on it. I don't think any of the other offences can be committed on private property either.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ossie

Post by ossie »

pete75 wrote:

He must have crashed off the road into the campsite as he's been charged with having no insurance. The campsite is private property so no insurance required for driving on it. I don't think any of the other offences can be committed on private property either.

It was previously the case that if the public had access you would need Insurance. A caravan park has been deemed to be a public place DPP v Vivier [1991] This location would appear to be a caravan / camp site.

I recall a Incident near Swanage in the 80's where a car left the road and hit several tents on an adjacent camp site killing someone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Very sadly the lady most seriously injured has died. She was 46. Her killer has apparently admitted causing injury by dangerous driving, having been drunk at the time. He has expressed remorse and accepted he deserves punishment, which may or may not help the bereaved family come to terms with what has happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49495907
Last edited by pwa on 28 Aug 2019, 3:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

whoof wrote:
nirakaro wrote:"Cow falls from sky, sinks boat -
In 1997, the crew of a Japanese fishing boat was pulled from the Sea of Japan after clinging to the boat's wreckage for several hours. They were immediately arrested, however, after authorities interrogated them about the boat's fate. To a man, they claimed a cow had fallen from the sky, apparently coming from nowhere, and struck the boat amidships, resulting in a huge hole and its rapid sinking.
The crew remained in prison for several weeks until Japanese authorities were contacted by several highly embarrassed Russian air force officials. It turned out that the crew of a Russian cargo plane had stolen a cow that wandered near their Siberian airfield and forced it onto their plane before they took off for a flight home. Once airborne, the cow apparently panicked and starting rampaging through the cargo hold, causing the crew also to panic because it was affecting the plane's stability. They solved the problem by shoving the cow out of the hold while crossing the Sea of Japan at 30,000 feet."

Being alive is just a risky business!

The sinking of a boat by a cow falling from the sky has probably only ever happened once in the entire history of the planet. In the time I've taken to type this someone somewhere has been run over by a car, one of the things that defines risk is probability.

It has never happened, it is an urban legend
NUKe