Vango or Vaude

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Caledonia64

Vango or Vaude

Post by Caledonia64 »

I have been given money - as a Carer - to buy a new tent for short breaks away from but close to home.

I have narrowed down my 2 person trekking (cycle camping) tent options to Vango Cairngorm 200 (which is the lighter, new version of the Banshee, apparently, pitches outer first/as one) and Vaude Terra Hogan 2p, pitching outer first/as one). Both have footprints I image.

So which, the £115 odd Cairngorm 200 Vango, or the Vaude Terra Hogan 2p at £210. I'll get either the 15% CTC discount (or is it the SHYA one) for the Vaude one at Cotswolds - oh also for the Cairngorm unless they are either of them on sale (Vango site has the Cairngorm retailing at £150).

My experience of Vango is bombproofness and being a Scots firm generally made to withstand Scottish weather: I have a 20 year old Vangp Hydra 250 going strong (but heavy for one person...would use if taking the dogs now, with additional foam bed rolls to protect the floor; I presume I can use the gear store extension for the Cairngorm with the older Hydra too.

I have never owned a Vaude tent.

Both have hydrrostatic head of 5000 for the outer, 6000 for the floor.
Both have additional footprint groundsheets. The Vango has the option of propping up the outerdoor into a higher height porch using a trekking pole/additional tarp pole, and (if I were taking the trailer or there were two of us), the option of an extension gear store/space for cooking.

The Vaude pitches with a hooking of the outer onto bungees routed through/round the aluminium poles which gives flexibility in high winds. Both are something between Geodesic-ish /tunnel low profile tents. The Vaude is I think of higher headroom having two poles. The Vango is single hooped and has the elastic tension band scheme (and won an award as best back packer tent for 2019, it appears).
mercalia

Re: Vango or Vaude

Post by mercalia »

I have a Vaude Mk2 ( 3 person) and it is a very ingenious tent. I can put it up in no more than 10 minutes often less. The inner is attached to the outer, you put it all up in one go. Little details like all the poles are connected by elastic BUT how are they terminated? A common approach is to use some kind of spring at the poles ends - these are hard ro remove and re insert should you need to change the poles. My Vaude on the other hand use the simple idea of using a washer at the end of the elastic that cant be pulled thru the end poles as the pole joint insert is narrower. simple but clever and easy to change a pole.

The one you are considering seems to be very like my Mk2 - you attach the poles to the ends of the tent, then pull elastic cords over the skeleton. Works very well & is quick. I think the only difference maybe in the pole, mine are alloy not sure what those are. Bending the poles always freaks me out a bit seeing them bend... but so far the only time I have had to replace a couple of poles is when I have fallen against the tent and they bent a bit. they didnt break.

At nearly double the price the Vaude should be higher quality?

You should find some where where you can see them. so you can see the real sizes & preferably crawl inside to make sure the lenghts & internal size are ok

[youtube]UQMSa9MUBlY[/youtube]

I cant comment on the Vango one
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

Finding where I can see them pitched might be a bigger challenge than you might think. The only local retailer is Cotswolds who do not have them pitched (Tisos does not carry them). I also am restricted in purchasing them to a place that accepts the grant "pay card" I shall get.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Caledonia64 wrote:Finding where I can see them pitched might be a bigger challenge than you might think. The only local retailer is Cotswolds who do not have them pitched (Tisos does not carry them). I also am restricted in purchasing them to a place that accepts the grant "pay card" I shall get.

If Cotswold have them they'll probably pitch them. Outdoor shops usually have Velcro tags that clip on to pegging loops so they can put tents up on carpet. Ask: that's the real point of a bricks-and-mortar shop.

Otherwise buy them both, pitch them with on a plastic sheet with a borrowed set of pegs, crawl around and pick the one you like the most, send back the second and get a refund for it.

Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks: if there was an established objectively Best Tent at any given price point nobody would buy anything else. Tents are compromises and all set the compromise points in different places so your opinion is the one that matters the most.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

pjclinch wrote:
Caledonia64 wrote:Finding where I can see them pitched might be a bigger challenge than you might think. The only local retailer is Cotswolds who do not have them pitched (Tisos does not carry them). I also am restricted in purchasing them to a place that accepts the grant "pay card" I shall get.

If Cotswold have them they'll probably pitch them. Outdoor shops usually have Velcro tags that clip on to pegging loops so they can put tents up on carpet. Ask: that's the real point of a bricks-and-mortar shop.

Otherwise buy them both, pitch them with on a plastic sheet with a borrowed set of pegs, crawl around and pick the one you like the most, send back the second and get a refund for it.

Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks: if there was an established objectively Best Tent at any given price point nobody would buy anything else. Tents are compromises and all set the compromise points in different places so your opinion is the one that matters the most.

Pete.

I extrapolate from this that the Outdoor Shops in Dundee might be a better place to look than the ones in Aberdeen..... Off to google.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Have you considered the Force10 range by Vango. The F10 brand are Vango's premium range and the helium 2 is virtually identical to the Cairngorm 200.

Summits Outdoor in Glasgow are very competitive on price

https://www.summits.co.uk/product/force-ten-f10-helium-2-ul-tent-2-person-tent/

They currently have an extra 10% on certain brands, including Vango.

https://www.summits.co.uk/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The Vaude Hogan is essentially a cheaper version of my Taurus (Taurus has higher hydro figures for example) which pitches very quickly, has survived all the weather you can throw at it and even a tree landing on it. After 10 years of abuse I did spend out on a replacement front pole as it was starting to split - but no wonder given the history!

I was so impressed with the Taurus which is now my back up option, that I bought a Power Lizard SL on the strength of it. Different style of tent but the quality oozes out and it always gets admiring looks on campsites all across Europe.

I have to say that Vango products always feel like they are from 'Boys Own' era, made with good intention but never quite living up to expectations! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:
I was so impressed with the Taurus. I have to say that Vango products always feel like they are from 'Boys Own' era, made with good intention but never quite living up to expectations! :wink:

Have to admit I far preferred my former Vango to my current Vaude Taurus :wink: (NB. Vango in question no longer being manufactured)

Having lived in the Vango for approx. 11-13 months on a long distance cycle/back packing tour it was great, being far quicker & easier to pitch than the Vaude whilst standing up to any form of weather. The Vaude tends to be a bit overengineered, meaningless, bespoke, complex fastenings replacing the simple bits of cord that the Vango survived with, while the tent takes far longer to assemble and erect
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gbnz wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
I was so impressed with the Taurus. I have to say that Vango products always feel like they are from 'Boys Own' era, made with good intention but never quite living up to expectations! :wink:

Have to admit I far preferred my former Vango to my current Vaude Taurus :wink: (NB. Vango in question no longer being manufactured)

Having lived in the Vango for approx. 11-13 months on a long distance cycle/back packing tour it was great, being far quicker & easier to pitch than the Vaude whilst standing up to any form of weather. The Vaude tends to be a bit overengineered, meaningless, bespoke, complex fastenings replacing the simple bits of cord that the Vango survived with, while the tent takes far longer to assemble and erect

well your description of the Vaude doesnt describe my Mk2 ( which is maybe 20 or so years old now) There is nothing about it that is "extra" or not needed. Though I have only lived in mine for a few days at a time so I suppose your experience of the Vango counts for a lot. Not sure if your last statement was about the Vango or Vaude, but my Mk2 goes up very quickly.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mercalia wrote:

well your description of the Vaude doesnt describe my Mk2 ( which is maybe 20 or so years old now) There is nothing about it that is "extra" or not needed. Though I have only lived in mine for a few days at a time so I suppose your experience of the Vango counts for a lot. Not sure if your last statement was about the Vango or Vaude, but my Mk2 goes up very quickly.

Thanks, I was referring to the Vaude when stating "the tent takes far longer to assemble and erect"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Caledonia64 wrote:I extrapolate from this that the Outdoor Shops in Dundee might be a better place to look than the ones in Aberdeen..... Off to google.

Dundee not really great for outdoor shops, we have a relatively small Tiso, a Blacks and a small Mountain Warehouse.
Perth has a better selection, and if you carry on down to Embra there's a fair bit more there.

Pete.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:
gbnz wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

Nor my Taurus which I can have from bike to pegged in under 4 minutes! complex fastenings? what, a zip? :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:
mercalia wrote:
gbnz wrote:
Nor my Taurus which I can have from bike to pegged in under 4 minutes! complex fastenings? what, a zip? :lol:

Always find with my Taurus that it needs careful adjustment, here & there and then again, prior to a slight adjustment to this guy rope or that. As opposed to my former Vango, which went up in a couple of minutes. Complex fastenings such as bespoke plastic mouldings to clip this to that, or that, rather than a simple piece of cord which could be replaced by a shoe lace in an emergency
horizon

Post by horizon »

Caledonia64 wrote:I have been given money - as a Carer - to buy a new tent for short breaks away from but close to home.

I have narrowed down my 2 person trekking (cycle camping) tent options to Vango Cairngorm 200 (which is the lighter, new version of the Banshee, apparently, pitches outer first/as one) and Vaude Terra Hogan 2p, pitching outer first/as one). Both have footprints I image.

So which, the £115 odd Cairngorm 200 Vango, or the Vaude Terra Hogan 2p at £210. I'll get either the 15% CTC discount (or is it the SHYA one) for the Vaude one at Cotswolds - oh also for the Cairngorm unless they are either of them on sale (Vango site has the Cairngorm retailing at £150).

My experience of Vango is bombproofness and being a Scots firm generally made to withstand Scottish weather: I have a 20 year old Vangp Hydra 250 going strong (but heavy for one person...would use if taking the dogs now, with additional foam bed rolls to protect the floor; I presume I can use the gear store extension for the Cairngorm with the older Hydra too.

I have never owned a Vaude tent.

Both have hydrrostatic head of 5000 for the outer, 6000 for the floor.
Both have additional footprint groundsheets. The Vango has the option of propping up the outerdoor into a higher height porch using a trekking pole/additional tarp pole, and (if I were taking the trailer or there were two of us), the option of an extension gear store/space for cooking.

The Vaude pitches with a hooking of the outer onto bungees routed through/round the aluminium poles which gives flexibility in high winds. Both are something between Geodesic-ish /tunnel low profile tents. The Vaude is I think of higher headroom having two poles. The Vango is single hooped and has the elastic tension band scheme (and won an award as best back packer tent for 2019, it appears).

I've read your post a few times now but still can't get my head round what you are looking for (and until we know that, we cannot give our views on the better tent). BTW, since you are cycle camping, you might as well have tent that is better than a backpacking tent.

You have to decide which type of tent suits you best (I would recommed a twin pole tunnel for cycle camping with or without an extended porch). And then you can look at your budget and see who does the best tent (of that type) for the money.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote:I've read your post a few times now but still can't get my head round what you are looking for (and until we know that, we cannot give our views on the better tent). BTW, since you are cycle camping, you might as well have tent that is better than a backpacking tent.

You have to decide which type of tent suits you best (I would recommed a twin pole tunnel for cycle camping with or without an extended porch). And then you can look at your budget and see who does the best tent (of that type) for the money.

While I agree that a bit more focus on where the goalposts are would help, I don't really see how a "cycle camping tent" differs appreciably from a "backpacking tent". And I'm also ambivalent about starting off with the type of tent: IMHO the type is what it is when you've worried about the other stuff, that being are you okay with the load (weight and bulk) you'll have to carry, is it acceptably easy to pitch and when that's done are you okay with the shelter provided (strength, space, storage possibilities, headroom, venting, Magic X Factor) and can you take the price?

Quite how the poles relate to one another in a design might affect all of the above, but I don't see it as a starting point.

Pete.