Vango or Vaude

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
sizbut

Re: Vango or Vaude

Post by sizbut »

The porch is part of the Power Lizard that some people won't like. Essentially, in its default setup, when you open up the outdoor door, you're slap bang in front of the inner door with just a few centimetres of gap. That's the aspect of the Power Lizard design that I could see strongly putting some people off.

However, if you're using it on your own rather than sharing, it does have a adjust that allows you to slide the door side inner away from the outer in order to swap some inner space for more porch space. But it's a long thin porch, maybe enough for wet shoes and jackets. So I'd say if you don't want most of your stuff inside the inner, then Power Lizard is probably not the tent for you.

(It also means that in rainy conditions it's a tent where you need to get through the inner and outer doors rapidly which is not ideal if you share it)

On the plus side, inner space is great, pretty much the same as the Hogan and Taurus models. I have the Power Lizard 2-3P but just for myself. For one, thats an luxurious amount of inner space. And a blissful dream to pitch/pack compared to the Hogan I tested.

The Taurus looks equally easy to pitch based on the Vaude video I just watched, but almost twice the weight of the Power Lizard!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ossie wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The Vaude Hogan is essentially a cheaper version of my Taurus (Taurus has higher hydro figures for example) which pitches very quickly, has survived all the weather you can throw at it and even a tree landing on it. After 10 years of abuse I did spend out on a replacement front pole as it was starting to split - but no wonder given the history!

I was so impressed with the Taurus which is now my back up option, that I bought a Power Lizard SL on the strength of it. Different style of tent but the quality oozes out and it always gets admiring looks on campsites all across Europe.

I have to say that Vango products always feel like they are from 'Boys Own' era, made with good intention but never quite living up to expectations! :wink:

How is the Lizard compared to the Taurus UL ? I have the Taurus UL but the Lizard is lighter I understand. Does the porch extend the length of the tent and is it bigger? I find I have bags of room in the Taurus but like to keep loads in the porch , shoes, panniers, cooking equipment, wine etc and it just doesn't all fit - not a biggie but I wouldnt mind extending some inside room for a bit more external cover for stuff you might not want in your sleeping quarters.

Headroom doesn't worry me as I never sit up in the tent but the weight advantage looks key here.

I think the space/volume in the 'porch' is similar but I find it more useable in the power lizard as it does indeed extend the length of the tent although its not as deep. you can vary the size a little by reducing the inner footprint. with the door closed you can still safely use the stove which is useful if its wet! I usually keep my cook gear and footwear outside the inner - there is bags of room inside, I just prefer to keep that stuff outside.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

foxyrider wrote:
ossie wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The Vaude Hogan is essentially a cheaper version of my Taurus (Taurus has higher hydro figures for example) which pitches very quickly, has survived all the weather you can throw at it and even a tree landing on it. After 10 years of abuse I did spend out on a replacement front pole as it was starting to split - but no wonder given the history!

I was so impressed with the Taurus which is now my back up option, that I bought a Power Lizard SL on the strength of it. Different style of tent but the quality oozes out and it always gets admiring looks on campsites all across Europe.

I have to say that Vango products always feel like they are from 'Boys Own' era, made with good intention but never quite living up to expectations! :wink:

How is the Lizard compared to the Taurus UL ? I have the Taurus UL but the Lizard is lighter I understand. Does the porch extend the length of the tent and is it bigger? I find I have bags of room in the Taurus but like to keep loads in the porch , shoes, panniers, cooking equipment, wine etc and it just doesn't all fit - not a biggie but I wouldnt mind extending some inside room for a bit more external cover for stuff you might not want in your sleeping quarters.

Headroom doesn't worry me as I never sit up in the tent but the weight advantage looks key here.

I think the space/volume in the 'porch' is similar but I find it more useable in the power lizard as it does indeed extend the length of the tent although its not as deep. you can vary the size a little by reducing the inner footprint. with the door closed you can still safely use the stove which is useful if its wet! I usually keep my cook gear and footwear outside the inner - there is bags of room inside, I just prefer to keep that stuff outside.

Thanks...Although I'm not a weight weenie the weight differential looks a real bonus. The usability of the porch sounds good as well if you can still safely cook and stash stuff down the length of the tent that you dont really want to fight with when exiting/ entering. Ive just had another 2 weeks in the Vaude UL, no complaints and has served me well but fancy a change.
diapason

Post by diapason »

I have a Force Ten - a more modern version of the Bukta I had as a kid. I do take it by car to a camp site - don't think I'd fancy tying it to a rear rack - but I might try it one day on a trailer. I've got the porch extension - bought on Ebay for about £15 some years ago. I enjoy the room and am safe in the knowledge that it's pretty bomb proof. I've been on a site during a storm and my tent was almost the oly one still standing the next morning! The weight is worth it for me - but then, I like doing things the way we did in the 60s.
Advena ego sum in Terra