How dry are your stuff sacs?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mattheus

How dry are your stuff sacs?

Post by mattheus »

Not sure how to title this question, so I'll just ramble on regardless ...

Is there an accepted difference between "stuff sacs" and "dry bags"? I have some podsac bags which are certainly a water-resistant material - I guess they have to be, as any compression item needs to be airtight!- but I think they leak very slowly at the seams if carried exposed to (proper) rain.
(My big one does tend to puff-up a little as well, which would be consistent with non-sealed seams.)

I am pretty new to this technology, so open to general advice. I'm probably not even using the right terms!

Thanks.

(EDIT: oh, and should I expect the stuff-sacs like the one my Sea-to-Summit down quilt comes in to be watertight??)
Bmblbzzz

Re: How dry are your stuff sacs?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I can't comment on the Podsacs or Sea to Summit stuff sacks specifically, but yes, there is a difference between stuff sacks and dry bags. A standard stuff sack is not waterproof. Not all stuff sacks are airtight either – I guess that's the difference between a stuff sack and a compression bag.

Not all dry bags are equally made, either. I have an Exped bag which has holes worn in it (but still waterproof material) whereas my Sea to Summit dry bag seems tougher material. Some of that might just be down to luck or unequal usage, of course.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I used a dry bag for a week and the material is already creased which looks like delamination.
I don't think that any bag will be 100% and it of course prudent to wrap contents in plastic bag just in case.
Stuff bags can be made of any material including mesh, with a secure closer normally a cord with a cord lock, and if you are lucky a internal flap to stop contents flowing out.
Compression bags would have to be non air tight material otherwise you would struggle to compress it without bursting seams.
Dry bags vary a lot on quality, and if water can get in then it won't get out easily.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mattheus wrote:Is there an accepted difference between "stuff sacs" and "dry bags"?

Stuff sacs would normally have a simple draw cord closure, maybe with a flap to cover the inside of the hole left when the draw cord is pulled tight. Because there's a hole at the top, there's no expectation that they are waterproof, and seams wouldn't be sealed even if the material itself is waterproof (it often isn't - mesh stuff sacs are fairly common).
Sleeping bags normally come in stuff sacs.

Dry bags are intended to be waterproof, have sealed seams, and a roll-top closure. They will stand rain or being dropped in a puddle, but the roll top closure won't stand proper submersion, and isn't airtight if you try to use the bag as a pillow, or the contents have a tendency to expand.
Having said that, quality varies, and you may find that the sealed seams aren't very well sealed, or that the durability isn't of the best.

I commonly use one of these Sea to Summit eVent dry bags for my down sleeping bag, just strapped to the front rack. The orange eVent section on the base is waterproof, but lets the air out as the bag is compressed. If I was expecting prolonged heavy rain, I'd probably add a poly bag round the outside.
The only quibble after several years (>8) use is that the loose end bit on straps that covers the roll top has developed dandruff and is shedding flecks of white all over.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

My Exped drybags are pretty much completely waterproof in normal use. I have several dating back to the 1990s which are still in good waterproof condition, but more recent ones seem less hard wearing and are starting to delaminate. For less critical items I use stuff-sacs with drawcord tops, but made of waterproof material - these are obviously not waterproof (do not use for sleeping bags or down gilets!) but are generally pretty effective, especially as I use ortlieb classic panniers which are pretty much waterproof in themselves (I do long haul touring, and don't want to end up in bad weather with a pile of wet kit). Waterproof dry bags are a good idea for tents, as when dismantled wet you don't want the wet tent to drain into the bottom of your pannier (I go for "clean lines" in my packing - no sundries bundied onto the outside).
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

All my life I've operated on a principle that has stood me in good stead: there's no such thing as waterproof luggage. Put everything in poly bags, when they puncture patch them with sellotape, when they get tatty chuck them away. I was rather dismayed to see that the heavy duty polythene rucsac liners that used to be ubiquitous now seem almost unavailable, but that's progress for you I suppose.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

axel_knutt wrote:...I was rather dismayed to see that the heavy duty polythene rucsac liners that used to be ubiquitous now seem almost unavailable, ...

I use rubble sacs.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Rubble sacks are good, for years I used F&T (back when F&T wasn't a bit of Sports Direct) neoprene taped seam liners which were great and I still use.

I started using dry bags for when I was paddling when you do need that extra level of waterproofing. For backpacking/cycle touring I like to put my down bag in a dry bag for that extra level of reassurance but otherwise I find dry bags a bit of a faff compared to a good bag in a waterproof material (with taped seams! material alone will leak through stitch holes).

As already noted, a stuffsack doesn't imply waterproof, although it can be. We have some Exped (?) compression stuffsacks with taped seams and roll-top closures.

As also already noted, a rolltop dry-bag isn't completely waterproof, but if you crash your bike in to a canal you've got a wee while to get it out before the dry bags have let in enough to soak your gear. Leave them in all night, that's a different matter.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

This is all good info, tahnks folks!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
axel_knutt wrote:All my life I've operated on a principle that has stood me in good stead: there's no such thing as waterproof luggage. Put everything in poly bags, when they puncture patch them with sellotape, when they get tatty chuck them away. I was rather dismayed to see that the heavy duty polythene rucsac liners that used to be ubiquitous now seem almost unavailable, but that's progress for you I suppose.

I use seed (wild bird seed) plastic bags in my panniers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Sea to Summit River bags are tough bags. 400 denier I believe. Well worth the relatively small weight penalty over the easily punctured lightweight dry bags.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I've used the same Ortlieb dry bags for years. Bought them second hand on ebay, so no idea how old they are, but still functioning and still watertight.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Am a great fan if the ortlieb 350 weight bags.
Tough but flexible so easy to roll and means that bags bigger than you need can very easily be made smaller. So very adaptable. I have some cheaper apparently tougher (possibly not) ones but their rigidity makes them less useful.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

axel_knutt wrote:All my life I've operated on a principle that has stood me in good stead: there's no such thing as waterproof luggage. Put everything in poly bags, when they puncture patch them with sellotape, when they get tatty chuck them away. I was rather dismayed to see that the heavy duty polythene rucsac liners that used to be ubiquitous now seem almost unavailable, but that's progress for you I suppose.

Yes, the demise of free lightweight carrier bags from supermarkets has its downside...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nirakaro wrote:

Yes, the demise of free lightweight carrier bags from supermarkets has its downside...

What did you do before Mr Tesco et al tried to murder the planet? :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!